Overnight trip, e-bike in car?

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
Hello
I am thinking about some trips to places a little further afield that would require an overnight stop. I travel by car and carry my e-bike inside the vehicle.
Would anyone consider leaving their bike in the car whilst sleeping in a hotel or B and B? I imagine not all accomodation would allow (or indeed be big enough) to store the bike with you while you sleep.
Obviously security is a concern so does anyone have any tips to avoid the bike getting stolen from the car? Locking it inside the car? Covering it up? Or should I ensure the place I stay has room for a bike?
Thanks
David

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Hello
I am thinking about some trips to places a little further afield that would require an overnight stop. I travel by car and carry my e-bike inside the vehicle.
Would anyone consider leaving their bike in the car whilst sleeping in a hotel or B and B? I imagine not all accomodation would allow (or indeed be big enough) to store the bike with you while you sleep.
Obviously security is a concern so does anyone have any tips to avoid the bike getting stolen from the car? Locking it inside the car? Covering it up? Or should I ensure the place I stay has room for a bike?
Thanks
David
I’ve thought about this too.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I would try to work out secure storage for the bike with the proprietor. You could cut up some garbage bags and lay them down like a clean tarp as long as the bike was sitting on a stand that wouldn't slip.

If you *have* to leave it in a car, cover it up and set a few claymore mines around the perimeter. :whistle:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've done this.

The room wasn't big enough to bring in two huge eebs so parked the car in such a way that you wouldn't be able to open the boot without moving the car first so the alarm would go off long before the bikes were actually accessible. I also chained them together and covered them with a blanket so it wasn't obvious what was inside.

As a final security measure, I put my mate's bike on top... :ROFLMAO:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The type of places I've visited on bike trips have always been fairly remote and while it's fair to say that as yet I've never stayed anywhere with the ebike in tow ..I've always had a few grand's worth of mountain bike with me and have kept them in the back of a car without any problem..
A lot of B&B's now have bike lock-ups but taking your own security with you can only help..
I've also stayed in Premier Inns who used to allow bikes in rooms ..but I'm not sure if this is still the case ..
If you are leaving your bike inside your car ..cover it up and don't take it out until the following day's ride having cleaned and lubed ( if you are going to ) prior to getting there ..the less its seen by others ..the more chance you have of keeping your pride & joy ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Get a van...no hotel needed.
So you book a hotel......even with somewhere safe to store the bike. Go for a ride...its messy! You return caked in mud...bike is even worse. Friendly hotel proprietor refuses you or your bike entry!!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
premier inn allow you to keep bikes in rooms

78435A91-F438-49E5-8433-049CA82DD06A.png

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
I've done this.

The room wasn't big enough to bring in two huge eebs so parked the car in such a way that you wouldn't be able to open the boot without moving the car first so the alarm would go off long before the bikes were actually accessible. I also chained them together and covered them with a blanket so it wasn't obvious what was inside.

As a final security measure, I put my mate's bike on top... :ROFLMAO:

Whoa. We lost two MTBs through the hatchback window. Don’t rely on not being able to open the tailgate.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It’s an estate, if you can’t open the boot you can’t access the rear glass either.

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
Thanks for the comments. I guess depending on where I am will determine if I feel it safe enough to leave the bike in the car. My preference would be to bring it in to my room so I'm glad to hear that premier Inn let you bring your bike in (was eyeing up some premier inns as they are pretty cheap).
As an aside I realise that I would be devastated if my bike got taken but don't care about my car at all.. maybe I need a car that is more desirable than my bike as a distraction (my car is a bog-standard Skoda) :D:D

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I have a bike bag for this reason !

take wheels off put them in bag take them to room ! leave wheels in room then return with bag and carry the frame to the room
Easy and no one ever knows ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Not tried one but may order to see if they fit but seen these...

covers the wheels and mud and would make taking the bike inside easier if covered?

that and a portable pressure washer to get the worst off for taking inside??

guessing most decent mtb destinations have mtb friendly hotels local tho ??

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not tried one but may order to see if they fit but seen these...

covers the wheels and mud and would make taking the bike inside easier if covered?

that and a portable pressure washer to get the worst off for taking inside??

guessing most decent mtb destinations have mtb friendly hotels local tho ??
Bike friendly hotel has washing station and good storage. I have shimano bike bag for wild camper vaning it's great when bike is clean but dismantling and rebuilding next day when covered in mud is not the best.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I stayed at a bike friendly hotel in Spain that had a section of the already secure garage reserved for bikes. Tools, compressor, lockers, parking stands and even a maintenance stand. My bike didn't need washing but I expect there was somewhere for that. Lockers for clothing and bike stuff, with sockets to charge e-bikes. No extra charge except for consumables such as tubes, brake pads, which were available at reception.
The room cost was reasonable, too.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I waited until it was dark then snuck the bike into the hotel room ? (But I did cover the dirty wheels in bin bags)

I’ve left the bike in the car before but wouldn’t do it again. Even wouldnt leave in the van overnight as the van is the model with windows rather than a panel van.

I now phone ahead to the hotel and make sure I can store and charge the bike there - usually either for free or a few quid - the hotel managers are always helpful. Caveat is these are guest house style hotels rather than a big chain such as Premier Inn etc.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I waited until it was dark then snuck the bike into the hotel room ? (But I did cover the dirty wheels in bin bags)

I’ve left the bike in the car before but wouldn’t do it again. Even wouldnt leave in the van overnight as the van is the model with windows rather than a panel van.

I now phone ahead to the hotel and make sure I can store and charge the bike there - usually either for free or a few quid - the hotel managers are always helpful. Caveat is these are guest house style hotels rather than a big chain such as Premier Inn etc.
Premier Inn are one of the few hotel chains to allow bikes in the room..

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I used to leave my mtb in a car back in the day, with the seats down (it was a hatchback) there was a U shape loop that the seats latch into. I was able to use that to to padlock a big chain around the bike.

Just a bit of a deterrent and made me sleep easier. If the thief could tackle that whilst the car alarm was going off, they’re better than me. I did cover the bike with a blanket though too.

KCMitch

Oct 12, 2020
Germany
I just did this for a whole week. Parked in a parking garage with the bike covered under a moving blanket. I also ran a cable with lock through everything to lock it to the car. Granted the hotel was empty and I parked under the lights. After work I rode everyday then back into the trunk.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have Sea kayak on reef as well so camper van , Levo , and Kayak a good days work for a Scally , maybe get a tenth of the worth selling it but hey ho . Remote areas getting targeted as well. I had bike stolen 20 years ago from shed anybody remember Orange Aluminium Elite not very nice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles