OUCH…..that hurt

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
This thread is to show your hurtys that you have got through mountain biking. :eek:
sure the Hodge will be along soon to start us off. (y)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ll start things off , 3months in a wheelchair 😂

IMG_2073.jpeg IMG_2241.png

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
For old times sake, day two with my first eeb.

View attachment 113561
Acromioclavicular separation?

Had my acromioclavicular separation repaired with Ti and a Nottingham Surgilig. Was a two wheel injury after someone (not me) stalled his race bike on the start line at Snetterton causing a huge pile up with one death and several serious injuries. I was lucky to get away with it.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Can't remember what they called it, all I remember being told was that I'd broken something in there on top of the obvious dislocation. Guy who did the xray was a downhiller & laughed at me when I told him exactly where I'd binned it.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
sure the Hodge will be along soon to start us off. (y)
Naah Mikey ..there's a lot worse than my little scratch ..
I did do my ribs a few years back left side ..then followed that up a year later with the right side ..coughing, sneezing & laughing was no fun as anyone who has had the same will testify ..
Tendons in my ankle last year when an electric cargo bike I was test riding washed out on a tight corner ..
That's been about the worst of it for me ..which given I've been riding for nigh on 30 years means I've got off fairly lightly 😁

Last edited:

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Riding dirt I'm knocked myself out before, plenty of blunt force trauma, and some skin dirt rash, but nothing really dramatic. However, riding a bike path once, a car took me out of the cross walk and threw me into the intersection, dislocating and breaking one of my fingers.

My worst injury was a tib/fib fracture riding an alpine snowboard.

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
My worst injury was a face plant into a face high tree across a local trail.
4 broken teeth, all at the top front, fractured jaw and a lot of blood everywhere

Happily I have a good NHS dentist so you can't even tell lmao

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Here's a picture of me in the E.R. with a compound ankle dislocation. if you look closely, you can see my lower leg bone sticking out of the side of my ankle. The ankle eventually died and it was replaced with an artificial ankle. I switched to eBikes during my recovering from the injury.

Ankle - B (1).jpg

Wear your knee pads when riding rocky terrain...Wahoo!
IMG_2098.jpg

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Here's a picture of me in the E.R. with a compound ankle dislocation. if you look closely, you can see my lower leg bone sticking out of the side of my ankle. The ankle eventually died and it was replaced with an artificial ankle. I switched to eBikes during my recovering from the injury.

View attachment 113745

View attachment 113746
Well I was hungry 🤮

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Here's a picture of me in the E.R. with a compound ankle dislocation
WOW that looks painful.
Can you walk properly now they fixed it, or do you have a limp? I wonder if your legs the same length as it was before.

Blindfolded we all walk in a big circle anyway though

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

View attachment 113745

View attachment 113746
Just had a kebab for my tea, now on here and the first thing I see is this. Cheers 🤢

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
WOW that looks painful.
Can you walk properly now they fixed it, or do you have a limp? I wonder if your legs the same length as it was before.

Blindfolded we all walk in a big circle anyway though
For those interested, here's the Reader's Digest version.

In October of 2019, I had a bad get off and I came down hard on my right foot. This caused my ankle to fold completely sideways. The Tibia exited out the side of the ankle and it took everything with it, including the main artery, nerves and tendons. ER doctors initially discussed amputating my foot due to the damage, but I refused. Later, they discussed totally fusing my ankle top to bottom. If I did this, I would not be able to ride mountain bikes again, but I would be able to walk with a severe limp.

Covid hit and the hospitals shut down. I was not able to walk for 18 months. I exhausted NetFlix and Amazon Prime...During this time, the cartilage and the talus bone in my ankle died from loss of blood supply when the artery was severed. Totally fusing the ankle was still being recommended however, the dead bone complicated things. I wanted a prosthetic ankle. Doctors said a prosthetic ankle was not possible due to the dead talus. With the fusion, I was looking at multiple surgeries spread out over a period of 18 months.

One day, I came across an online medical article where doctors had experimented with using computer 3d printing technology and CT Scan measurements to fabricate talus bone replacements. The plastic 3D replica was used to cast solid steel replacements. I discussed with my doctor the possibility of 3D printing a new talus which could be modified to accept a prosthetic upper ankle joint. He said no, it was too risky...seriously, he said that. I told him I was contemplating having my foot cut off...which was riskier?

My doctor finally agreed to do the experimental procedure. On November 2020, I received a new talus bone and upper prosthetic ankle. My lower ankle (I.e. heel bone) was fused. By the end of January 2021, I was walking. By April 2021, I was back on my bike cruising around the neighborhood. I started hitting mountain bike trails June 2021. My doctor didn't want me to ride....F that.

I will not lie, I took a long, deep jog into the pain cave on this one. But, I never quit, I never let someone else dictate the terms of my recovery and I never, ever, felt sorry for myself. I just needed to get back to something close to good and don't get in my way.

I consider myself a winner. I can now walk without a limp, but I won't be running any marathons. The ankle hurts at times, but you get used to that. Last year, I put 2,500 miles on my mountain bike. I routinely hit double black trails. On the other hand, I no longer hit jumps and when I encounter particularly sketchy sections of trail, I ask myself if it's worth it. I occasionally walk.

Ankle-a.jpg

September 2022
Midlands Drop.png

IMG_E1997 (2).JPG

It helps to have a sense of humor....
IMG_0883.JPG

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Scene of the Crime; Several weeks after my recovery I had to return to the area and piece together what had likely happened. I rode this path almost 300 times on my eMTB so I was fairly confident to ride quickly through these deep creeks.
IMG_8571.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this was the spot. The blue line was my usual line. It’s only about 5’ deep but the in/out can be tricky.

I believe my front wheel struck the black rock on the red line. My head likely smashed into the old bridge timber after I went OTB. My body probably lay on the ❌ with my feet/legs in the creek water.

I don’t know how long I laid there before another rider found me. He asked if I was okay. I could barely talk, didn’t know where I was, didn’t know the way out. I wasn’t much help. After he pulled me out of the creek he started searching me for a phone. I’m not sure how but he called the first number, who happened to be my neighbor and the incident networked out from there. Search and rescue, ambulance and eventually my wife were called.

My rescuer had a tire tube so he create a sling for my arm and shoulder. My neighbour arrived first. He had an idea where we were and must of let others know because shortly after others started showing up to help. I was able to stand by this time so I was partially carried and occasionally walked when I had to. It was about 3-4 miles to the entrance where the ambulance and SARS waited.

As the ambulance attendants prepared me for the ride, my wife showed up. I could kinda tell she wasn’t happy as she removed my dark riding glasses from my face. It was already dark out and I hadn’t noticed. Off to the hospital we went.

I was released the next day. Broken clavicle, dislocated shoulder, cracked ribs and a pretty good concussion. It took about 3 days before I started thinking right. My helmet was destroyed but my bike was ok 👍🏻. Not a scratch and clean tires. 😥 Whew.

maynard

Scene of the Crime; Several weeks after my recovery I had to return to the area and piece together what had likely happened. I rode this path almost 300 times on my eMTB so I was fairly confident to ride quickly through these deep creeks.
View attachment 113798
I’m pretty sure this was the spot. The blue line was my usual line. It’s only about 5’ deep but the in/out can be tricky.

I believe my front wheel struck the black rock on the red line. My head likely smashed into the old bridge timber after I went OTB. My body probably lay on the ❌ with my feet/legs in the creek water.

I don’t know how long I laid there before another rider found me. He asked if I was okay. I could barely talk, didn’t know where I was, didn’t know the way out. I wasn’t much help. After he pulled me out of the creek he started searching me for a phone. I’m not sure how but he called the first number, who happened to be my neighbor and the incident networked out from there. Search and rescue, ambulance and eventually my wife were called.

My rescuer had a tire tube so he create a sling for my arm and shoulder. My neighbour arrived first. He had an idea where we were and must of let others know because shortly after others started showing up to help. I was able to stand by this time so I was partially carried and occasionally walked when I had to. It was about 3-4 miles to the entrance where the ambulance and SARS waited.

As the ambulance attendants prepared me for the ride, my wife showed up. I could kinda tell she wasn’t happy as she removed my dark riding glasses from my face. It was already dark out and I hadn’t noticed. Off to the hospital we went.

I was released the next day. Broken clavicle, dislocated shoulder, cracked ribs and a pretty good concussion. It took about 3 days before I started thinking right. My helmet was destroyed but my bike was ok 👍🏻. Not a scratch and clean tires. 😥 Whew.
I'm glad your bikes ok . I was getting really worried towards end of story . 😕

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I'm glad your bikes ok . I was getting really worried towards end of story . 😕
With my wheels in the air and my head towards the ground …I occasionally try this trick and spin it. 🎶

These bikes seem almost indestructible. The worst thing I can remember is a deep scratch on my new upper fork tube. But whenever my bike decides to do a ‘red-bull-front-spin, I just go along for the ride. Sometimes it’s fun …until the landing. 😳😰👍🏻.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles