Orbea Rise Water inside Frame

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has noticed water accumulating inside the frame after cleaning.
Occurs after washing the bike, I don't use a pressure washer before someone chirps in.
The water eventually finds it's way out via the bottom bracket end of the bike but there is quite a lot of it.
Question, should I be worried by a lot of water sloshing in and around the electric motor?
Also the electric charging point is often wet inside after riding, again should I be worried about this?
The flap doesn't seems to stop fine sand and water getting in at all.

I don't live in a world without mud (and lots of it in winter) and washing my bike after every ride is a necessity.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Not had a problem with all my other bikes, and I don't use loads of water when upside down, just to rinse off, so the amount of water getting into frame is a bit confusing. I wonder if the frame is open between the motor and the frame. It hasn't been a problem with the running of the bike but water swishing around an electric bike is a bit of a worry. I regularly return home and you can't see the motor for mud or what colour the bike is underneath. And it is only getting muddier in the UK.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Presumably it's filling up the seat tube when upside down. You would think it would just all fall back out when right way up though, not much different to washing it right way up to start with. I would be more worried about getting water in the headset if I'm honest. They never seem to be as well sealed underneath as on top.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
I had to manipulate the bike into various positions to get the water out. It is a bit worrying given the amount of electrics but I suppose you are on rubber tyres and rubber soles on your feet so heyho no point worrying about it.:oops:

Last edited:

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Not had a problem with all my other bikes, and I don't use loads of water when upside down, just to rinse off, so the amount of water getting into frame is a bit confusing. I wonder if the frame is open between the motor and the frame. It hasn't been a problem with the running of the bike but water swishing around an electric bike is a bit of a worry. I regularly return home and you can't see the motor for mud or what colour the bike is underneath. And it is only getting muddier in the UK.
It's definitely open between the motor and frame. I was feeding an outer cable down for the dropper the other day. Entering from the headtube and the outer was coming out at the side of the motor

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I do always have
As others have said, I think this is your problem. I use a cheapo bike stand (£30 from Halfords) to wash mine right side up.
There will be holes into the frame for cables and hoses around the motor and water would be getting in through them.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
Also the electric charging point is often wet inside after riding, again should I be worried about this?

I have the same problem. I'm also concerned that the tatty sprung plastic tab, which holds the flap in place when riding, is going to break. It's difficult to see what could be done to replace a broken plastic tab. When riding with the range extender the flap flaps about and is extremely close to the crank. A slipped pedal stroke could easily break it off.

Other than these niggles the Rise is a great bike which I'm really enjoying.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I've had the motor out of my Rise several times to work on my bike. The bottom of the down tube and seat tube where they meet at the motor mount section is totally open. There isn't a gasket, piece of foam, or anything else sealing the top of the motor to the frame to prevent water from shooting above the motor when washing your bike or crossing a stream. The motor and control wires are all sealed so it's not an issue. The water quickly drains out as opposed to water being trapped by a gasket and things corroding on the motor. The area is open so the battery can be removed from the downtube for travel or other purposes.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has noticed water accumulating inside the frame after cleaning.
Occurs after washing the bike, I don't use a pressure washer before someone chirps in.
The water eventually finds it's way out via the bottom bracket end of the bike but there is quite a lot of it.
Question, should I be worried by a lot of water sloshing in and around the electric motor?

I don't live in a world without mud (and lots of it in winter) and washing my bike after every ride is a necessity.
I would tell you to never wash your bike..but with a screen name like northernbloke i imagine you see a lot of mud! Im in California in the midst of an historic drought, so a little different environs.

i still think you should avoid washing as much as possible.. use brushes for initial cleaning, then let it dry, then brush again..

ive had my ebike for 2 years.. never washed it once! Stipl have original bearings.. no issues

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles