Orbea Rise rear shock options

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Now then. I’m considering writing a letter to Santa to ask for a new rear shock for my Rise. Currently on the standard FOX DPS, which to be fair has been absolutely fine to date, not the plushest ride, but I quite like a bit a rough!

Anyway. Just wondered what air shocks people have successfully upgraded to and are a simple straight swap

The options I’m looking at are as follows: (all 210 x 55)

FOX Float X
Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate
Cane Creek Air IL G2
Cane Creek DBAir IL (although I don’t think this one will fit)
DVO Topaz Air
Marzocchi Bomber

Any other suggestions or experiences of any of the above ? Thanks

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am running the Manitou Marra Pro on my Rise when not using the coil. A very good shock, but not easy to come by. I have run the CCDB Air IL on another bike (Transtion Smuggler) which I did really like but not tried any of the others

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I called TF Tuned yesterday and they strongly recommended the Float X so will most likely go down that route 👍🏽

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Personally, I wouldn't run anything that couldn't be serviced and tuned DIY so for me it would be the DVO or as above, a Mara Pro.

Shame neither are easily procured in the UK.

I actually quite like the DPS which suprised me. I thought I'd hate it but it's actually handled everything I've asked of it really well. I added a larger volume spacer to help with bottoming out on drops but other than that, I've been impressed.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Now then. I’m considering writing a letter to Santa to ask for a new rear shock for my Rise. Currently on the standard FOX DPS, which to be fair has been absolutely fine to date,

It sounds like you might have made up your mind on the Float X. It's a reasonable decision. But you asked, and the Super Deluxe Ultimate is on your list, and I have a bit of experience with that one.

Like you, I was rockin' the DPS and thought it was fine. My bike felt balanced between the front and rear. On a whim, I upgraded my existing fork. It was a great move, but it immediately became apparent that the rear shock was now the weak point of my suspension. I slapped a Super Deluxe Ultimate onto the bike, and the difference was quite noticeable.

Over stutter bumps and fast chunk, the ride is a bit smoother, and the tires have a little more contact with the ground. When hopping up rocks when climbing, the rear wheel definitely stays in contact with the ground better. And when landing, the feeling is more of a "squish" than a "slam."

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the DPS isn't the best product on the shelf. Don't hesitate to replace it.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Small thread hijack... Any idea whether the piggyback works with the range extender? It looks like a big shock and there's not a whole lot of room with the extender fitted.
Unfortunately I don’t have a range extender but the Mara is a big shock, it’s only about 250g lighter than my Ohlins coil, picked it up for good price off a local rider.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It sounds like you might have made up your mind on the Float X. It's a reasonable decision. But you asked, and the Super Deluxe Ultimate is on your list, and I have a bit of experience with that one.

Like you, I was rockin' the DPS and thought it was fine. My bike felt balanced between the front and rear. On a whim, I upgraded my existing fork. It was a great move, but it immediately became apparent that the rear shock was now the weak point of my suspension. I slapped a Super Deluxe Ultimate onto the bike, and the difference was quite noticeable.

Over stutter bumps and fast chunk, the ride is a bit smoother, and the tires have a little more contact with the ground. When hopping up rocks when climbing, the rear wheel definitely stays in contact with the ground better. And when landing, the feeling is more of a "squish" than a "slam."

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the DPS isn't the best product on the shelf. Don't hesitate to replace it.
Yeah I have a Suoer Deluxe Ultimate on another bike and really like it. However I’ve found a Float X on sale for cheaper than the Rock Shox so that steered my decision on the Fox direction!

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Cane Creek Air IL (next gen)! This tiny demon worked in a great balance with Formula Selva C (coil) fork, and Formula Selva is fantastic fork and best stock fork on the market IMO. Had a few rides on my friend’s Merida e160 with Kitsuma and Air IL feels not very different to Kitsuma Air.
Stock float x is not a very bad shock to be true, but it simply can’t keep up with Air IL. There’s no tokens inside Air IL and HSC is 0.5 of 2.5 turns, so Air IL manages travel very well, though it took a few days to find the perfect settings.

I’m so impressed that I’m thinking about trying CC Coil IL, but it is not recommended for clavis-design frames. Did anybody have experience with Coil IL on Rise? Is it safe to ride?
IMG_5789.jpeg

IMG_6196.jpeg
IMG_5801.jpeg
1511373B-EBC6-49E1-B384-5837E32FB9AD.jpeg
D8D30EE9-079B-43CC-B341-4A30E19D0858.jpeg

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Seen couple that have snapped on fb & mate snapped one on his S150 same clevical design as Rise better coils out there - TTX

Cpt_Ahab

Dec 15, 2023
AT
Cane Creek Air IL (next gen)! This tiny demon worked in a great balance with Formula Selva C (coil) fork, and Formula Selva is fantastic fork and best stock fork on the market IMO. Had a few rides on my friend’s Merida e160 with Kitsuma and Air IL feels not very different to Kitsuma Air.
Stock float x is not a very bad shock to be true, but it simply can’t keep up with Air IL. There’s no tokens inside Air IL and HSC is 0.5 of 2.5 turns, so Air IL manages travel very well, though it took a few days to find the perfect settings.

I’m so impressed that I’m thinking about trying CC Coil IL, but it is not recommended for clavis-design frames. Did anybody have experience with Coil IL on Rise? Is it safe to ride?
Hi,
That sounds fantastic. Is the Cane Creek Air IL (next gen) a 1:1 drop in replacement? No modifications necessary and no collisions?
Did you go for the 210x55 as the original Fox X is? And PLEASE be honest...would you recognize the difference in a blind test? Clearly? Can you formulate what is/feels better? I would not be mad to save 100g if the performance is definitely better too :p

THX a lot!
Armin

Josepma

Oct 13, 2020
Barcelona
Next week I will receive an m-team 2024 and since I have an Ohlins ttx22 m.2 spring shock absorber I wanted to ask you if you know if it can be installed or maybe it can hit the frame. The size of the bike is an XL

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Next week I will receive an m-team 2024 and since I have an Ohlins ttx22 m.2 spring shock absorber I wanted to ask you if you know if it can be installed or maybe it can hit the frame. The size of the bike is an XL
Fits on a large

IMG_4901.jpeg

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
I have the 23 M-Team med. zero problems with the coil. to use the cascade link I had to down grade the shock y fork from the 21".

View attachment 131250 View attachment 131251
The rubbing is only visible under full load. I used two ratchet straps to compress the spring during testing. The white paper piece was stuck.
It may differ depending on the spring rate, since the springs are getting thicker when higher rating.
I would recommend to be careful 😊

IMG_4234.jpeg

Last edited:

sirj00

Oct 10, 2023
Miami, Fl
The rubbing is only visible under full load. I used two ratchet straps to compress the spring during testing.
It may differ depending on the spring rate, since the springs are getting thicker when higher rating.
I would recommend to be careful 😊
Thank you, will do.

sirj00

Oct 10, 2023
Miami, Fl
Cascade web page says that the link is compatible with only 20-22 year models:
  • Fits Orbea Rise (2020 to 2022)
I have M20 2023 and wanted to use their link, could you please share you experience of installing the link?
the only set back was removing the bearing to install the shaft with the bushing, than reinstalling the bearing and getting the correct gap. I had to down grade the shaft and the y fork that attaches to the shock. the 23 rise used a shorter Y fork and the shaft is a one piece with the link. I have doubled my traction from the stock setup.

View attachment 20231229_150455.jpg

xaw

Dec 26, 2023
TX
the only set back was removing the bearing to install the shaft with the bushing, than reinstalling the bearing and getting the correct gap. I had to down grade the shaft and the y fork that attaches to the shock. the 23 rise used a shorter Y fork and the shaft is a one piece with the link. I have doubled my traction from the stock setup.

View attachment 132172
Thanks for sharing the information. By any chance do you have some photos of installation process or the guide you might be using? I'd definitely like to get Cascade Link on my Rise.

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx

I’m so impressed that I’m thinking about trying CC Coil IL, but it is not recommended for clavis-design frames. Did anybody have experience with Coil IL on Rise? Is it safe to ride? View attachment 129343

View attachment 129340 View attachment 129341 View attachment 129342 View attachment 129344
what hardware did you have to buy to install it? I've always had problems with my DPX2 and saw that the canecreek is on sale right now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles