Orbea Rise m20 brake upgrade

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
Assuming you are currently on 2 piston brakes, switching to a 4 piston set up will increase stopping power. Deore 6120 is the cheap easy option. Hope if you need the colour bling. Upping the rotor sizes can give you even more power if needed. 👍 I went with Saints front and back mostly for looks but the stopping power is insane.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
What did it come with? 6100s?

Cheapest/ easiest route will be some better discs (XT IceTech) and sintered pads.

Next level cheap and easy would be to add some shimano 4 piston calipers.

6120 calipers are around £50 each and will fit straight onto your existing levers and hoses. SLX/ XT will be slightly more and give you finned pads if that's your thing.

I've got 6120s with 203mm front/ 180 rear XT level IceTech discs on my H30 and it's stops well enough.

It really depends what and how you ride as to what's best. If you're a heavyweight rider on seriously fast and steep trails then you're gonna need better brakes than a lightweight rider on gentler stuff

Mikecole95

Apr 15, 2023
United Kingdom
Assuming you are currently on 2 piston brakes, switching to a 4 piston set up will increase stopping power. Deore 6120 is the cheap easy option. Hope if you need the colour bling. Upping the rotor sizes can give you even more power if needed. 👍 I went with Saints front and back mostly for looks but the stopping power is insane.
oh nice! if possible could you link me to the saints brakes that you used?

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
112700_shimano_saint_m820_disc_brakes_front_rear_set.jpg

Again, they dont really do much more than other shimano 4 pots but I love the looks and the lever feel 😀

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
MT5s half price of saints with MDR-P rotors even MT7s cheaper & far better brakes

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
I upgraded my M20’s brakes to the 8120 XT’s. It wasn’t as easy a swap as I’d hoped since there is way too much tension on the brake hose where it bends above the motor to just attach the new hose to the old and pull it through the frame. I had to drop the motor to fish the new one through. I managed to do it without pulling the chain ring by grinding an Allen wrench down to fit in the space between the ring and bolt.

Once open and with the battery pulled you can see there isn’t any channeling in the frame, the cables and hoses just pass through the space above the battery.

While I had it open I ran and connected the wire from my Lezyne Macro 1000 headlight at the same time. Of course that still won’t work until I find a shop with the ride tube pro software to activate the light power output on the motor (it‘s default setting is always off).
IMG_0562.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpeg

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I upgraded my M20’s brakes to the 8120 XT’s. It wasn’t as easy a swap as I’d hoped since there is way too much tension on the brake hose where it bends above the motor to just attach the new hose to the old and pull it through the frame. I had to drop the motor to fish the new one through. I managed to do it without pulling the chain ring by grinding an Allen wrench down to fit in the space between the ring and bolt.

Once open and with the battery pulled you can see there isn’t any channeling in the frame, the cables and hoses just pass through the space above the battery.

While I had it open I ran and connected the wire from my Lezyne Macro 1000 headlight at the same time. Of course that still won’t work until I find a shop with the ride tube pro software to activate the light power output on the motor (it‘s default setting is always off). View attachment 116624 View attachment 116632
Mate my LBS had to do the same to swap out my brakes to 4 pots. labor costs was high but def worth the money. Shame the H30 comes with such lame brakes as standard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles