Brake upgrade

Chillout83

Mar 22, 2022
Aberdeenshire
hi i have a 2020 Merida e160 8000 I like the Bike however I feel I need more braking power as the original SLX 4 pot brakes are not grabby enough for my 90kg mass + the bike 23kg ish, I wondered if Magura MT7 brakes would be a leap forward or not much difference ?

Any help appreciated thanks

Last edited:

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Personally I’d try new pads in the shimano before you splash the cash, I’ve got MT7 and they’re fierce, however the Slx are really good. However if you’ve already made your mind up and want the Magura then just do it. They take a bit to set up but you’ll love em.

Chillout83

Mar 22, 2022
Aberdeenshire
Thanks i have XT 4 pots on my manual bike they are amazing however I can't get the E bike brakes to perform the same even though I fitted them .

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Keep your SLX levers and pick up some Magura MT5 calipers and run a Shigura setup.

I had XTR 4-piston brakes and felt that they still lacked power, even upgrade to Galfer 223mm rotors and ebike pads. Still felt like I was lacking outright power when the pace really picked up and a long descents.

Eventually I bought a set of MT5 calipers to use with my XTR levers, this setup is the best brakes I've personally ever ridden.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I wondered if Magura MT7 brakes would be a leap forward or not much difference ?

The MT7's would be a leap forward in awesomeness, but there are other things to think about first. The biggest variable is rotor diameter. If your running puny rotors, you might want to consider going to something larger.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Take your pads out and see if they're resin ones. If they are replace with EBC sintered and enjoy twice the stopping power. For even more power step up one size in rotor. Magura make the MDR-P in 220mm, they're fantastic paired with SLX.

I've tried all the pads from all of the suppliers under the sun. I'll only use EBC sintered from now, they're consistent right down to the backing plate and quiet.

Juggy1985

Apr 28, 2022
United Kingdom
I have magura MT5’s on a really heavy Kenevo and the power is always there, never ever felt that before in a brake. 200mm sram centreline rotors front and back. I have XT M8000 on my non e bike and i know full well they wouldn't stop the Kenevo. I would recommend the MT5 to anyone really as am so impressed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles