Orbea Rise (H15) rear thru-axle -- 187mm, too short?

demount

Mar 24, 2022
saint louis
187mm seems a few mm short, judging by how much of the left axle nut is not filled by the axle. It almost looks like the left chain stay is completely riding on the axle nut. Anyone else seeing this on their rise?

IMG_5888.jpg

demount

Mar 24, 2022
saint louis
Looking at the online Bluepaper it shows the axle as 187mm. Are all the various spacers in their correct positions?

View attachment 84551
Yes, it appears to be assembled correctly. I consulted the blue book, and the axle has 187 printed on it. That is why I was hoping to see if others are fitting the same way. The other thing I was suspecting is the wheel assembly, but if this is normal for this bike, then no point in taking anything apart.

demount

Mar 24, 2022
saint louis
Big Thanks for the pic!!! I guess that is just they way they designed it, and that axle nut is heavy enough to carry the load of the rear stay. Seem like 190mm would have been better. Never had a through axle that doesn't thread to near the end of the nut. I wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't come loose now like three times.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No it is not right. The torque figure is calculated based on all threads in the nut being used so with the thru axle falling short like that the specified torque is too low.....in other words the thru axle will come loose. I suggest you strip the assembly and check.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Big Thanks for the pic!!! I guess that is just they way they designed it, and that axle nut is heavy enough to carry the load of the rear stay. Seem like 190mm would have been better. Never had a through axle that doesn't thread to near the end of the nut. I wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't come loose now like three times.
My H15 is exactly the same. but hasn't backed out yet...only 300 miles so far in about a month.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
My m10 looks the same, I noticed it, took things apart and couldn't see any other way of it working. It would make me feel better to get full thread engagement.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
No it is not right. The torque figure is calculated based on all threads in the nut being used so with the thru axle falling short like that the specified torque is too low.....in other words the thru axle will come loose. I suggest you strip the assembly and check.
Interesting - I've had the rear axles come loose on our two M10 Rises a few times over the last year.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No
The torque is calculated on the amount of threads on the axle being used and the thread pitch and axle diameter ,
obviously the axle and nut material is taken into account also .
The fact all the thread in the nut isn’t being used has no significance at all only that as much axle thread is being used as possible for its intended purpose.
....and that would be right if the nut was half its width........but its not!! You cannot work out torque settings based on a bolt and nut and then only use half the nut!!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
So I had some Orbea Rise rear axle spare parts - and just opened the packs to compare them ...

The rear axle won't actually screw all the way into the nut as the thicker part of the rear axle blocks it once all the thread of the axle is inside the nut. This is the very maximum it will screw in:
1648597458880.png

And this is a comparison shot of the length of the nut compared to the length of the threads on the rear axle:
1648597521333.png

So it must be designed like this :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles