Orbea Rise 85Nm?

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
I bought 2023 Orbea Rise M-Team from an Orbea authorized dealer / LBS in SF Bay Area (California USA)
To my surprise the Shimano Steps E-Tube shows 85Nm as seen in the image below -

IMG_6695 3.PNG

I haven't explored any backdoor hack or anything like that. This is the way the bike came.
And BTW the assist level indeed seems a lot at max level. Although I have no other frame of reference as this is my 1st bike of any kind in over 30-years.

I thought this eMTB is limited to 60Nm as it is stated in the official Orbea Specifications. Wonder what do other Rise owners have in theirs?

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I'd say you got lucky and have the standard EP8 firmware on your motor - there have been a few similar reports of new bikes supplied that way. I requested mine to have the 85nm firmware loaded before delivery.
You can ask your dealer to put the 60nm firmware on if you prefer.

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
I'd say you got lucky and have the standard EP8 firmware on your motor - there have been a few similar reports of new bikes supplied that way. I requested mine to have the 85nm firmware loaded before delivery.
You can ask your dealer to put the 60nm firmware on if you prefer.
Thank you

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I adjusted mine to 85nm but after trying it I dialled it back to standard, and only very rarely use 60nm as 30/40/50 gives me a perfect balance of range/assistance for longer rides. I just wish the software gave 4 or 5 power levels to choose rather than 3 over 2 modes which seems pointless. I also worry that using a lot of turbo reduces reliability. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm convinced Shimano are out to get me.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
My Rise M10 from 2021 has 6000km on the odometer, and the motor was replaced by Shimano some weeks ago (internal sensor issue)
The new motor also came with full torque (85Nm), but the peak power was lower than the normal full torque motors (500watt)
So they have delivered a motor with full torque and lower peak power (350watt) - strange.

My current settings are:
eco: 250 watt, 30Nm, 32kmh (only emergency usage)
trail: 350 watt, 53Nm, 32kmh (normal usage)
boost: 450 watt, 70Nm, 32kmh (very rarely usage)

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
For what its worth I asked my LBS about changing my Rise from 60 to 85 and the chap said he had tried both and preferred the RS tune of 60nm as the bike felt more natural and he got more range. I guess if you ride with others who have got full fat bikes and ride in turbo a lot you might want to have 85nm to keep up!

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
For what its worth I asked my LBS about changing my Rise from 60 to 85 and the chap said he had tried both and preferred the RS tune of 60nm as the bike felt more natural and he got more range. I guess if you ride with others who have got full fat bikes and ride in turbo a lot you might want to have 85nm to keep up!
For sure it's nice to have it for those occasions so if a dealer will unlock it for free then go for it - presume it doesn't affect warranty if a dealer does it.

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
I just wish the software gave 4 or 5 power levels to choose rather than 3 over 2 modes which seems pointless.
The fine tune mode in the Shimano App lets you set all the way up to 15 levels. In one of my profile, I've enabled 8-levels as you can see in the original post. The other profile is the standard - Eco/Trail/Boost modes.

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
Y'day I asked my dealer how come the torque of 85Nm being available on my bike. Their response was that I'm one of the lucky ones who received one of those bikes that slipped w/o the firmware that restricts the motor to 60Nm. They also said that they inquired Orbea if they should reload the correct firmware on to rectify the issue on such bikes, if there is any warranty concern, but Orbea is being indifferent apparently.

Most of the time I ride at the lowest setting of 27Nm anyway, as I'm learning and building stamina. But it is good to have high power on tap for fun esp. with 540Wh internal battery and option to add the range extender, I won't have range concerns.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Which Shimano app is that? With Steps I can only see eco/trail/boost and mode 1 or 2.
The fine tune mode in the Shimano App lets you set all the way up to 15 levels. In one of my profile, I've enabled 8-levels as you can see in the original post. The other profile is the standard - Eco/Trail/Boost modes.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Shimano E-Tube Project App. The procedure is described here: si.shimano.com

Basically you create an assist profile with "Fine Tune Mode" . .
And do you then get the ability to select, say, 5 power levels on the up/down switch rather than eco/trail/boost without stopping and changing modes?

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
And do you then get the ability to select, say, 5 power levels on the up/down switch rather than eco/trail/boost without stopping and changing modes?
That's right, once you have the so called "Fine Tune" profile selected then the assist levels switching is via the up/down switches.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
That's right, once you have the so called "Fine Tune" profile selected then the assist levels switching is via the up/down switches.
How do you see what mode you're in while riding? Not sure on 2023 models but on 2022 there are only 3 led colors for modes.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I don't get that option with my EP8 motor so presume it's only for the EP801 motor 😕

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
How do you see what mode you're in while riding? Not sure on 2023 models but on 2022 there are only 3 led colors for modes.
On my 2022 H15 it has the small handlebar LCD display . . but it doesn't show mode when riding. You have to stop and go to the menu option for assist and selecting that then shows mode 1 or 2. It's a PITA and not obvious - Orbea set the lower power mode when supplying and owners not knowing this have been underwhelmed by lack of power on their first ride.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
On my 2022 H15 it has the small handlebar LCD display . . but it doesn't show mode when riding. You have to stop and go to the menu option for assist and selecting that then shows mode 1 or 2. It's a PITA and not obvious - Orbea set the lower power mode when supplying and owners not knowing this have been underwhelmed by lack of power on their first ride.
I think you are referring to "Profile 1" or "Profile 2". What I'm asking is since you've enabled 8 levels and normally there are only 3 "modes" (eco, trail, boost), how do you know which assist level of the 8 you are in while riding?

beerider

Oct 20, 2023
San Francisco Bay Area
The lowest level gets the blue color, highest one yellow, and rest of the middle levels green color.
The specific level is shown as x/y in the small bike computer display as seen below in the green bar -
tempImagejBkwSa.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles