Orbea rise 2021 cracked frame.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Sorry to hear about your chain stay. I cannot see this being anything other than warranty. It has to be a manufacturing fault or the chain stay isn't strong enough and if this the case then it's not fit for purpose. This is a rough tough trail bike after all.

I too have had issues with my Orbea but not the frame, and again the retailer was online and not close enough to service the warranty issues.

The problem in taking it to another retailer is the first question is 'Did you buy it from us..' then a long silence and then ' bring it in and we'll have a look at it'.

TBH retailer has been very fair and is currently trying to resolve my issue but again my argument is that the item concerned was not fit for purpose (for it's intended use). But you may find you are waiting a long time for the part if it is on back order. I presume the frames and triangles are made in the far east.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
Sorry to hear about your chain stay. I cannot see this being anything other than warranty. It has to be a manufacturing fault or the chain stay isn't strong enough and if this the case then it's not fit for purpose. This is a rough tough trail bike after all.

I too have had issues with my Orbea but not the frame, and again the retailer was online and not close enough to service the warranty issues.

The problem in taking it to another retailer is the first question is 'Did you buy it from us..' then a long silence and then ' bring it in and we'll have a look at it'.

TBH retailer has been very fair and is currently trying to resolve my issue but again my argument is that the item concerned was not fit for purpose (for it's intended use). But you may find you are waiting a long time for the part if it is on back order. I presume the frames and triangles are made in the far east.

Thats the price you pay for online shopping, most people dont understand how the bike trade works, they assume that any dealer of a particular brand should sort everything out free of charge then claim costs back off the manufacturer..
the reality is that parts are sent out by manufacturers but all labour and postage charges are covered by the shop. so if you bought a bike off them work should be free as they have made the profit on the bike sale.
Taking a bike to a different dealer and demanding everything should be free because the shop deals the brand is quite common and doesn't sit well with most. Most will process the warranties etc but charge postage, labour and sundry charges. The shop has ZERO obligation to a customer that has purchased elsewhere, their contract is with the point of purchase.

As far as the whole "not fit for purpose" thing goes, again it doesn't work quite how most people think, people seem to think that they can just quote " not fit for purpose" and get whatever they want. if one of these cases were to ever get to the point of going to a small claims court it would be up to an independent expert to to asses the product which usually will be the manufacturer, as they are technically independent as your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer.

so the moral of the story is be on good terms with your local bike shop, charge in like a bull in a china shop demanding satisfaction for the bike you bought from Tredz and your chances of a good outcome are very slim, it's back to tredz and their army of 12 yr old cytech kids you go.
Be courteous and explain things and be prepared to pay for their time and you will usually get a far better outcome.

Just saying like.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Thats the price you pay for online shopping, most people dont understand how the bike trade works, they assume that any dealer of a particular brand should sort everything out free of charge then claim costs back off the manufacturer..
the reality is that parts are sent out by manufacturers but all labour and postage charges are covered by the shop. so if you bought a bike off them work should be free as they have made the profit on the bike sale.
Taking a bike to a different dealer and demanding everything should be free because the shop deals the brand is quite common and doesn't sit well with most. Most will process the warranties etc but charge postage, labour and sundry charges. The shop has ZERO obligation to a customer that has purchased elsewhere, their contract is with the point of purchase.

As far as the whole "not fit for purpose" thing goes, again it doesn't work quite how most people think, people seem to think that they can just quote " not fit for purpose" and get whatever they want. if one of these cases were to ever get to the point of going to a small claims court it would be up to an independent expert to to asses the product which usually will be the manufacturer, as they are technically independent as your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer.

so the moral of the story is be on good terms with your local bike shop, charge in like a bull in a china shop demanding satisfaction for the bike you bought from Tredz and your chances of a good outcome are very slim, it's back to tredz and their army of 12 yr old cytech kids you go.
Be courteous and explain things and be prepared to pay for their time and you will usually get a far better outcome.

Just saying like.
I don't think you understand warranty, I do I work in the motor trade. If you are a franchised dealership you are obligated to investigate the claim under the terms of warranty contract. It may or may not be a warranty issue but that is why you have the Brand name above your door. Warranty is regardless of where you bought it. I sympathise that the retailer may not have sold the bike in the first place but if you are authorised dealer that is the deal. That's why they get big discounts on parts and preferential trading terms. I am very loyal to my local bike shop but I couldn't buy it from them, nor can't take it back to them as they are not an Orbea dealership. Once it is out of warranty they can fill their boots.
As regards 'fit for purpose' it is just that. Given the nature of the product and what it is intended to endure then ' it is reasonable' to expect that the frame doesn't snap within days of ownership. The bike should be taken in the first place to where it was purchased but if that is not possible or convenient then taken to the nearest dealer, assessed and a decision made.
If you sell on premium brand, have authorised dealerships and offer things like 'lifetime frame warranty' then you need to live up to them.

Most retailers are online these days and often sell to multiple countries as well. The idea we all pop along to the local high street to purchase what they have in stock is dead, and has been for a long while. Online shopping is here to stay, and given the price of these things it is the future.

Slow Goat

Aug 4, 2021
USA
Three pieces of bad news:
1) A friend of mine had a break in exactly the same spot after owning the bike for 6 months. Bike is used for aggressive trail riding in SF Bay Area. No big rocks or jumps. This sounds like design weakness.
2) Dealer that sold us bikes inspected it and submitted warranty claim but it was rejected. Orbea charged for the new part.
3) This happened on August 27th and the replacement part still did not arrive.
It sounds that my inventory of spare parts for Rise needs to include swingarm too. :-(

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
1) A friend of mine had a break in exactly the same spot after owning the bike for 6 months. Bike is used for aggressive trail riding in SF Bay Area. No big rocks or jumps. This sounds like design weakness.

For sure, not good news to have 2 reported failures in the same triangle location.

I have to admit, the original pics suggest a quite 'spindly' design, and wall thickness seems akin to a Rizla.

My Haibike seatstays look like girders in comparison, but then again the bike weighs the same as a small Welsh village. Weight Vs strength maybe is the question.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
2) Dealer that sold us bikes inspected it and submitted warranty claim but it was rejected. Orbea charged for the new part.
It sounds that my inventory of spare parts for Rise needs to include swingarm too. :-(

That pretty muchsums up my fears regarding my warranty claim. I know it’s either a production or design fault, since my riding has been very careful. It’s just unbelievable if a company sells such an expensive bike and then deny warranty.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I do I work in the motor trade.
SFW? The motor trade is not the retail industry which is all bike shops are and any warranty over and above your statuary rights as prescribed by law are at the discretion of the individual retailer.

Slow Goat

Aug 4, 2021
USA
Update: Yesterday afternoon replacement part arrived at the shop.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
I don't think you understand warranty, I do I work in the motor trade. If you are a franchised dealership you are obligated to investigate the claim under the terms of warranty contract. It may or may not be a warranty issue but that is why you have the Brand name above your door. Warranty is regardless of where you bought it. I sympathise that the retailer may not have sold the bike in the first place but if you are authorised dealer that is the deal. That's why they get big discounts on parts and preferential trading terms. I am very loyal to my local bike shop but I couldn't buy it from them, nor can't take it back to them as they are not an Orbea dealership. Once it is out of warranty they can fill their boots.
As regards 'fit for purpose' it is just that. Given the nature of the product and what it is intended to endure then ' it is reasonable' to expect that the frame doesn't snap within days of ownership. The bike should be taken in the first place to where it was purchased but if that is not possible or convenient then taken to the nearest dealer, assessed and a decision made.
If you sell on premium brand, have authorised dealerships and offer things like 'lifetime frame warranty' then you need to live up to them.

Most retailers are online these days and often sell to multiple countries as well. The idea we all pop along to the local high street to purchase what they have in stock is dead, and has been for a long while. Online shopping is here to stay, and given the price of these things it is the future.
Bike shops are not franchised and an IBD has absolutely no obligation to fix problems on things bought else where, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Just got my Orbea rise back from shop I bought it from after cracking the chain stay (derailleur broke off and hanger damaged frame). Orbea covered the parts 100%, but labor and new derailleur were on me, at the cost of $600.

While my bike was out, I was able to borrow a friends turbo levo SL....and while I can't comment on the frame durability, I will take my orbea ANY day over the specialized.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Specilized have serious QC issues at the moment on various models but especially the Enduro which seems to be cracking all over the place.

Any frame can break and often it’s just bad luck, but when you start to see multiple failures in the same location you have to start thinking the bikes fundamentally flawed.

Be interesting to see if any more similar issues crop up with the rise.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria

this doesn't sound like all the other Orbea claims I've heard of, the alumimium chainstays on the Wild FS are known for cracking and Orbea seem to just replace them for free no problems.
I've also completed 2 warranty claims (for parts) and both were done easily with no quibbling

Just got my Orbea rise back from shop I bought it from after cracking the chain stay (derailleur broke off and hanger damaged frame). Orbea covered the parts 100%, but labor and new derailleur were on me, at the cost of $600.

While my bike was out, I was able to borrow a friends turbo levo SL....and while I can't comment on the frame durability, I will take my orbea ANY day over the specialized.
Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the Orbea Rise over the Spesh?

Specilized have serious QC issues at the moment on various models but especially the Enduro which seems to be cracking all over the place.

Any frame can break and often it’s just bad luck, but when you start to see multiple failures in the same location you have to start thinking the bikes fundamentally flawed.

Be interesting to see if any more similar issues crop up with the rise.
I have never heard that about Specialized frames. Where does the Enduro usually break?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not relevant to the Orbea's or the Spesh's, but a reminder that any frame can crack under the right circumstances/abuse - carbon or alloy ..

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

Slow Goat

Aug 4, 2021
USA
this doesn't sound like all the other Orbea claims I've heard of, the alumimium chainstays on the Wild FS are known for cracking and Orbea seem to just replace them for free no problems.
I've also completed 2 warranty claims (for parts) and both were done easily with no quibbling
The only potential explanation that I can offer is that Orbea US person handling warranty claims has a different criteria than the person handling the same for UK.

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
The only potential explanation that I can offer is that Orbea US person handling warranty claims has a different criteria than the person handling the same for UK.

Or the retailer is trying to rip him off, i've had a customer bring in a bosch battery warranty on a bike bought from tredz as it had been sat with them for 10 weeks with no joy.
Turns out bosh had sent them a replacement battery 8 weeks earlier but they told the customer that the warranty had been refused and he had to buy a new battery for £770. would love to have been there when he went in with the Email from bosch confirming the battery had been sent 8 weeks prior.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
the reality is that parts are sent out by manufacturers but all labour and postage charges are covered by the shop. so if you bought a bike off

The issue at the moment is supply is so tight, with all stock pre-sold to dealers, that a lot of people aren't having the option of buying from their local dealer. I tried my two nearest shops for my Rise and neither were able to get one.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
So my mate cracked the rear triangle again for the second time.

He have now called orbea to ask if he can get a rear triangle in aluminium insteed , orbea is gonna look it up if it is possible and call him up.
received_293070883080856.jpeg

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
So my mate cracked the rear triangle again for the second time.

He have now called orbea to ask if he can get a rear triangle in aluminium insteed , orbea is gonna look it up if it is possible and call him up.
View attachment 118589
Yeah, that’s my Rise. Pretty much exactly the same spot as the first crack, but on the right side this time. But the first crack, I never crashed, not even once. This time I went down the day before and scratched the carbon/color around the area that later broke.
Asking Orbea for a rear triangle in aluminium this time. But l think it will be for them to admit that their carbon is unreliable, so I don’t expect them to grant my wish.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles