Orange Phase Team

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
How was that first ride in the Phase

Sorry, only just seen this. My first ride was really good, the bike is going to take some getting used to.

The bike feels heavy (haven't weighed it) compared to my old Vitus e sommet, I suspect it is at least 2kg heavier.

The ep8 motor also feels a lot different to the old 8000, which I wasn't expecting. The ep8 wants higher cadence which can make it feel "less" powerful, but it still pulls, you just need to be in a lower gear.

The bike is longer than my old bike which is taking some adjustment.

The rear shock performs great on fast rocky downhills but it doesn't have the same "pop" or liveliness that the dhx air had. Not a negative, just an observation and mainly the difference between how a coil and air shock work. It can make the bike feel heavier going up I feel though. I need to get the setup right to say for definite.

The biggest advantage I have noticed so far is the motor position, orange have rotated the front up which is a complete game changer for me. The Vitus had the motor slung low and I was constantly smacking it into rocks and slabs. I've not managed to hit the motor once so far on the orange.

The motor guard is absolutely perfect as well, all manufacturers should be doing these.

The build quality is absolutely top notch, I don't get all the slating of orange, the welds are like stacks of coins and the paint is good. The cable routing and other little details are so we'll thought out as well.

High Voltage

Jan 18, 2019
Peru
I am tempted to change my 2nd generation Levo for the Phase to start doing some Ebike Enduro Racing.... handling wise..which of the two will be better?

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
It is a tough one, I did a demo day a while back and rode both the Spec and the orange, I preferred the orange purely on geometry, but the brose motor was good on the Spec.

It is a lot of money to spend without trying one, I would go on Oranges website and see when the next demo day is, I think Pearce cycles did one recently with a phase on hand.

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
Photo of mine just before its first outing after a local company had applied clear wrap to it:

phase.PNG

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
If you are serious I am pretty sure cycle 360 on the isle of man have a large MX - they post. Also tredz have the 29er in stock

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
The formula suspension is absolutely top notch kit. There is a lot of stuff you can change so setup is always going to be key.

Don't buy into the marketing the big two have, it's equally as good as anything rock shox/fox and in some aspects is better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles