Orange bikes

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I see they have gone tits up and are calling in the recievers šŸ¤”
Market forces or cleverly filtered all the beer tokens away?
Perhaps I am being to harsh on them šŸ¤”

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
At least Irn brew will have some spare girders šŸ‘

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
State of the market rather than malice, look at how every other brand is struggling.

*Also, they've called in administrators, people owed send in receivers. šŸ˜‰

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
State of the market rather than malice, look at how every other brand is struggling.

*Also, they've called in administrators, people owed send in receivers. šŸ˜‰
Well that's me told!.
In my defence I only passed on some info and never read the story.
I still can't get my head around decent company's not having any reserves when they have made a fortune not that long ago!

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Well that's me told!.
I still can't get my head around decent company's not having any reserves when they have made a fortune not that long ago!
No probs, hope I didn't come across as too much of a pedant! šŸ¤£

Totally agree though, the number of firms who must have done very well over the lockdowns and then proceeded to totally balls it up baffles me. In defence of Orange they aren't a global megacorp so probably less able to dictate terms/cut deals to suppliers, etc.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Orange are a weird one. They've stuck with their single pivot design forever as an article of faith while everyone else moved on. They strike me as a nostalgia brand beloved by middle aged guys who fondly remember the Team Animal late 90's heyday The couple of old farts I know who run them are almost evangelical about them but seemingly not to the point of buying a new one every couple of years.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Did they really make shitloads over the pandemic ? I ainā€™t seen any orange bikes out there !

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Well that's me told!.

Most companies are like people, living month to month or year to year, if they are lucky. And, you have to remember, the owner is taking a majority of the profits. Iā€™d be willing to bet, even though the company is suffering, the owners bank account is very healthy.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Orange are a weird one. They've stuck with their single pivot design forever as an article of faith while everyone else moved on. They strike me as a nostalgia brand beloved by middle aged guys who fondly remember the Team Animal late 90's heyday The couple of old farts I know who run them are almost evangelical about them but seemingly not to the point of buying a new one every couple of years.
A good single pivot with a good shock works very well. The perfect suspension system has yet to be developed. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It makes you wonder if all the complicated designs shoved down our throats are worth it. Other areas in the mountain bike industry have come along ways. Rear suspension really hasnā€™t come that far in the last 25 years. Itā€™s the shocks that have improved the most.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Nothing is shoved down your throat. Companies design bikes & offer them for sale. You then either buy them or you don't. In Orange's case, people seem to have made the choice to buy elsewhere.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Nothing is shoved down your throat. Companies design bikes & offer them for sale. You then either buy them or you don't. In Orange's case, people seem to have made the choice to buy elsewhere.
No, for the most part, companies dictate what we buy, by what they produce and shove it down our throats, with marketing. The latest thing being shoved down our throats is short cranks. And people are dumb enough to eat it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Orange has a big following. Most companies go out of business because of bad management, not because they canā€™t sell product. Almost all of the bike companies that are going out of business right now are doing so, because they made poor choices. Covid forced them into bad choices. One company is sitting on a billion dollars of product and they are doing everything they can to sell it.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Oh no! Not marketing. How can you possibly resist?

Still trying, albeit not very hard, to work out whether you think companies made bad choices or were forced into them by Covid, since you seem to be saying both at the same time. Long time since I've read anything so confused on here.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
No, for the most part, companies dictate what we buy, by what they produce and shove it down our throats, with marketing. The latest thing being shoved down our throats is short cranks. And people are dumb enough to eat it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread. Orange has a big following. Most companies go out of business because of bad management, not because they canā€™t sell product. Almost all of the bike companies that are going out of business right now are doing so, because they made poor choices. Covid forced them into bad choices. One company is sitting on a billion dollars of product and they are doing everything they can to sell it.
What the advantages of LONG cranks on e-bikes ?

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
No, for the most part, companies dictate what we buy, by what they produce and shove it down our throats, with marketing. The latest thing being shoved down our throats is short cranks. And people are dumb enough to eat it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Ah the classic - if you dont believe what I believe then your dumb - approach to debate. Well done. There is no such thing as long or short cranks. There is a traditional crank length decided on years ago by roadies and no one can tell you why that decision was made... its just tradition. Finally people are exploring other sizes.

In the road world this year the peloton will be moving to 155/ 160 lengths as they are more aero, keeps the upper body more stable and itā€™s been proven, doesnt produce any less power. In fact as they encourage a higher cadence as they unsettle the upper body less, they might for some riders be more powerful. Easier to rev. Pidcock & Pogačar are all going to be on 160 cranks this year down from 175.

So if the roadies.. Using some actual testing are heading that way, and there is no loss in power why would EMTBs where stability, a central position and ground clearance, are also advantages to 150/155/160 cranks, continue with the traditional length? Also with some emtb motors requiring high revs to get the most power 150/155/160 cranks should could be a bonus as they are easier to "rev".

So lots of advantages to explore. Canā€™t think of any disadvantages. Less leverage maybe but the roadies testing seems to negate that train of thought, and leverage isnt important on its own as its only one aspect of "power".

So is it still being ā€œforced down our throatsā€ or maybe just another sensible evolution we should be open minded in exploring?

Anyways sad to see Orange go but they had poor financials 8+ years ago according to companyā€™s house so have been in bad health for a while. They didnā€™t embrace modern marketing to explain the advantages of their approach and as a result looked staid and retro. Peaty winning on a 224 only carries kudos for so long. Probably hard to innovate when you have owned a business for 35 years and it has worked in the past. Sometimes youā€™re the last to see why its not working anymore.

Last edited:

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
Mine was the first XL of the production line of this model. Can't fault it. I have been riding Forest of Dean and South Wales on it for years and it's never let me down and is as good as the day I bought it. It's miles better than me. I bought it because a guy I know races downhill and, at the time, he said it was the most natural ride EMTB he had ridden. The frame was only a couple of mm out from the MTB.Hopefully they will down scale and look to re-access and keep manufacturing in Halifax.

They probably suffered from supporting UK workers and not subbing the component parts to the far east.

Unlike the EU and the States our wonderful country (UK) doesn't subsidise our manufacturing industry quite yet. That is probably going to change

View attachment 132439

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Ah the classic - if you dont believe what I believe then your dumb - approach to debate. Well done. There is no such thing as long or short cranks. There is a traditional crank length decided on years ago by roadies and no one can tell you why that decision was made... its just tradition. Finally people are exploring other sizes.

In the road world this year the peloton will be moving to 155/ 160 lengths as they are more aero, keeps the upper body more stable and itā€™s been proven, doesnt produce any less power. In fact as they encourage a higher cadence as they unsettle the upper body less, they might for some riders be more powerful. Easier to rev. Pidcock & Pogačar are all going to be on 160 cranks this year down from 175.

So if the roadies.. Using some actual testing are heading that way, and there is no loss in power why would EMTBs where stability, a central position and ground clearance, are also advantages to 150/155/160 cranks, continue with the traditional length? Also with some emtb motors requiring high revs to get the most power 150/155/160 cranks should could be a bonus as they are easier to "rev".

So lots of advantages to explore. Canā€™t think of any disadvantages. Less leverage maybe but the roadies testing seems to negate that train of thought, and leverage isnt important on its own as its only one aspect of "power".

So is it still being ā€œforced down our throatsā€ or maybe just another sensible evolution we should be open minded in exploring?

Anyways sad to see Orange go but they had poor financials 8+ years ago according to companyā€™s house so have been in bad health for a while. They didnā€™t embrace modern marketing to explain the advantages of their approach and as a result looked staid and retro. Peaty winning on a 224 only carries kudos for so long. Probably hard to innovate when you have owned a business for 35 years and it has worked in the past. Sometimes youā€™re the last to see why its not working anymore.
Where did I saw you were dumb? But, hey if thatā€™s what you wanna believe, than knock yourself out. And yes, when it comes to cranks there is long and short. Short being 140mm and long being 180mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles