Opinion / Advice - Cube 140 Race VS Trek Rail 7, and Kuat vs Thule rack

Ddawg

Mar 23, 2022
Los Angeles
Hi all. I'm a long time mountainbike rider now getting much older - looking forward to purchase of 1st mtn eBike to enable riding trails of the past. Now deciding between Cube 140 Race and Trek Rail 7. Anyone had opporunity to ride both or evaluate?
And racks considered are Kuat NT2 and Thule T2 Pro XT. Any opinions?
Thanks
Section of Santa Monica Mtn Range below - in LA
Mtn Bike Ride 017.jpg

russellb

Jan 21, 2022
Central Coast
Hi all. I'm a long time mountainbike rider now getting much older - looking forward to purchase of 1st mtn eBike to enable riding trails of the past. Now deciding between Cube 140 Race and Trek Rail 7. Anyone had opporunity to ride both or evaluate?
Thanks
View attachment 84514

My wife has a Thule E-bike rack, I hate it, other than the great way it attaches with a one action handle.

I have aBuzzrack E-Scorpion 1 Platform 1 E-Bike Tow Ball Rack on my car and LOVE it. I find it way better than the Thule in every way.

It attaches to the tow ball in a very easy drop on, only negative would be the tightening method is 2 step, tighten the wheel knob that locks with a key and then tighten a second lever. Its fine and works great just an extra step. I do prefer the Thule 1 action attachment but don't like the Thule rack.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks
View attachment 84514

Big fan of the Saris Superclamp (SuperClamp EX 2-Bike Hitch Car Rack) since you live in North America. Tends to be less expensive than either the Kuat and Thule.

Ddawg

Mar 23, 2022
Los Angeles
My wife has a Thule E-bike rack, I hate it, other than the great way it attaches with a one action handle.

I have aBuzzrack E-Scorpion 1 Platform 1 E-Bike Tow Ball Rack on my car and LOVE it. I find it way better than the Thule in every way.

It attaches to the tow ball in a very easy drop on, only negative would be the tightening method is 2 step, tighten the wheel knob that locks with a key and then tighten a second lever. Its fine and works great just an extra step. I do prefer the Thule 1 action attachment but don't like the Thule rack.
Thanks for that. Just did a search and can't find a distributor/dealer in USA. Looks cool, and I'm going to send an Email to sumex.com to see if actually available in USA,Caliofornia.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks for that - just saw mfg quick video - going to look into it. When you use do you lift one wheel at a time into it to load a heavy bike (57 #) ?
No, usually not a problem to lift and load. It places pretty quickly so I'm not holding the bike for very long.

One of the reasons I went with it over the Kuat was that my wife has fenders on her commuter e-bike and if we want to take that with us when we go somewhere and I have my road bike, the Kuat and Thule aren't meant to be used with fenders.

Nov 26, 2021
USA
I'd stick with the Kuat racks. I've tried a bunch of thule and yakima racks and keep selling them and returning to the Nv2.
Thule's are usually a lot more plastic and have crappy hardware the will eventually rust. I do give them credit there new helium platform rack was very nice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles