One stiff leg....

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Ok, I'm sitting on the sofa since Tuesday with one leg in a full length rigid brace after slipping on a wet concrete ramp and my knee trying to bend in a way knees shouldn't bend. I've tried to ride my recumbent trike using only the good leg but can't work out what to do with the useless lump on the other side.
This doesn't please the dogs who aren't getting their walkies, and I'm not best chuffed either.
Hospital doesn't want to see me again for another week, when the swelling should have reduced somewhat. There's no bone damage, but knees look a bit complicated at the ligament level and there was muttering about MRI and possible surgery. It certainly isn't hurting a lot less than it was, if I let it bend at all when I have the brace off for a sitting down shower. (Which I am allowed to do every two days.)
Anyone been here and got any bright ideas?

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Thanks guys. The physio is going to have to wait until after Chrimbo, and until I can either bend the leg enough to drive, or possibly steal a car with an automatic box. Pity I crashed the Clio back in April. I can just about climb into a passenger seat right now.
I tried resting the leg along the top of the boom on the trike but it gets in the way of the pedal. So much for that. Am having serious thought about walking dogs while riding the lawnmower but I don't think it would be good for the lawnmower.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi Barb. Like Steve said, physio is your friend. Once they understand your needs or limitations they can slowly push you along to recovery. It’s so important to follow their advice and also do the homework they give you.
Your injury is physical whereas mine was neurological but the end goal is the same, we want to walk or ride again, or return to as normal a life as we can. Setting small achievable goals for yourself can be satisfying as long as we understand that we may have some limitations.
After many months Physio and neurological retraining I was able to ride again. I eventually thought that magnetic peddles could help with my riding. So I began designing a magnetic pedal and shoe one day…then I googled magnetic peddles. My dream of making millions $$ was quickly erased. 🤣. I ordered some magnetic peddles. 🤦🏼

I found that the push/pull action was helpful since my left side didn’t behave the same as my right side. The assistance I gained from the push/pull action of my right leg helped to recover my left leg. Not completely, but it helped. Your Physio Therapist can help you decide what the best training method to use is. Magnetic peddles are only an option but it helped me. They’re not for everyone but I continue to use them and install them on all my bikes.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Thanks for the advice, guys. Orthopod said it's a nasty sprain but nothing actually torn so on with the physio, and did I like swimming? So that's the programme now, massage, guided exercise, swim as much as I want. Try to drive as little as possible, and keep the electric car that I have on rental as long as I can afford it (automatic, still no way I can work a clutch) Knee brace that allows limited movement, and some proper painkillers to use at night.
Could be a lot worse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles