• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

On the hunt for a grease gun...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I serviced my Hope hub last weekend and watched the excellent how-to video on YouTube. The tech had a grease gun that I like to look of but can't find, can anyone shed some light for me?

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 21.32.37.png

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m not a massive fan of Park tool tools but I did buy one of their grease guns and it’s pretty good, I was a bit pissed about some of the paint flaking off at the base but hey ho it still works and works well, it produces a tiny stream of grease from the nozzle which is perfect for delivering just a tiny amount of grease or you can just push the plunger hard to get a lot of grease 😎

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
They got back to me after about a week. It's a syringe dispenser gun and the one they use is £236 + VAT... :oops:

I've found a cheaper alternative but it's still about 50 quid.
I've bought bikes for less than that 😂

There is a bike shop somewhere near Norwich way with a Youtube channel I've seen a few times. The guy there has a neat little rack of what look like bog standard plastic syringes filled with different types of grease, seems to work well, I'll see if I can find it & link a video.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
I've been looking for an excuse to get some syringes from this company. They are supposed to be top notch.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
On the note of grease, what is the consensus of which to use? Does everyone use bike specific grease? I really like the idea of the Motorex tubs because they have brushes built in.

I'm kinda new to bike and been using Sil-Glyde just because it what I had. It seems to work well but its all I know.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've been looking for an excuse to get some syringes from this company. They are supposed to be top notch.

Its sad when you get excited by tools and in this case syringes. They look like they'd be perfect.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
On the note of grease, what is the consensus of which to use? Does everyone use bike specific grease? I really like the idea of the Motorex tubs because they have brushes built in.

I'm kinda new to bike and been using Sil-Glyde just because it what I had. It seems to work well but its all I know.
I use motorex bike specific , lime green coloured stuff, great little applicator brush 🪥, no complaints, it's grease for a push bike at the end of the day 🥺

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've been using Silkolene Pro RG2 for nearly 30 years. I'm on my second 500g tub and that's only because I can't find the first one I bought in the '90's... :ROFLMAO:
I suspect it's in the same place as my old grease gun; somebody else's garage after they borrowed them and neglected to return them.

I've got a 100ml syringe full of RG2 but its a bugger to push, hence the hunt for an applicator.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I have had one of these for decades, works great, bought another one about 5 years ago, also good. You can get them on Amazon etc for just over a tenner. Search Mini Grease gun.

They do fall over easily which is annoying but I turned up some bases from old hub flanges so they stand up better.

I have two because one has a blue Rocol marine grease (Saphire 2 maybe?) that I use for suspension pivot bearings and anything else that could get washed out, and one for normal grease, usually just use the marine one though.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have had one of these for decades, works great, bought another one about 5 years ago, also good. You can get them on Amazon etc for just over a tenner. Search Mini Grease gun.

They do fall over easily which is annoying but I turned up some bases from old hub flanges so they stand up better.

I have two because one has a blue Rocol marine grease (Saphire 2 maybe?) that I use for suspension pivot bearings and anything else that could get washed out, and one for normal grease, usually just use the marine one though.
Mine kept falling over too but by sheer coincidence I found a roll of insulation tape with exactly the same inside diameter cardboard roll as the outside diameter as the grease gun, firmly inserted into the insulation tape it now stands up rock steady 👍👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles