On my third Spec eBike. Has reliability got worse?

Matty B

Dec 11, 2019
South West
Afternoon all,

Stuck indoors with the storm raging outside and have been thinking.
I got my new 2020 Kenevo back from my LBS yesterday. It’s so far been in 3 times in just over 6 weeks for various issues. All resolved in a timely fashion and my LBS have been excellent.

but my question is this:

I first got a Levo back in November 2016. It was a Green 1st generation Aluminium FSR Comp model with a 400wh battery.

I rode it for two years, though all weathers. Jet washed the hell out of it every time I cleaned it. Even rode it in snow, ice and through deep standing water.
Never once had an issue with it or had to take it back to the shop for any fixes or updates.

I then bought another Levo, this time an original Women’s model for the wife. Still with the old LEDs on the side of the battery unit etc.

Again this was ridden in all weathers and Jet Washed regularly after each ride.

No problems again until 18 months in one of the LEDs stopped working on the battery unit and Spec replaced with the 504wh battery for free as they were no longer making the 400wh battery.

Then recently I decided I’d waited long enough to update and upgrade. So I purchased the new 2020 Kenevo Expert.
To be honest, had I known I’d have had to be careful washing it, putting it upside down in the van etc I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

So I’m wondering how many others have had older/original generation Levo’s which they are also finding were tougher and more reliable.

Personally I don’t want a bike which you have to be careful with getting wet. I don’t expect to be able to point a jet wash directly at connectors and motors. But I expect not to have to think about it too much and just avoid the normal bearings etc.

Anybody else feel similar?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes I had a 2018 levo expert, rode the wheels of off it in all weathers for a year, not one issue.
2019 Levo expert, different story.

Matty B

Dec 11, 2019
South West
@Matty B can you explain the "putting it upside down in the van" reference?

Yes, wasn’t all that clear.

I was advised by Spec that I should not be placing the bike upside down in the van whilst wet. As water could run into the TCU and cause my issues. Also not to do this after washing for the same reasons.

Obviously this time of year the bike is wet after every ride.

However, I always transport my bikes this way with the front wheels removed as it stops them falling over and into each other.

My normal bikes get the same treatment, as do my kids race BMX’s. So not being able to is a pain in the backside!

Last edited:

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I was advised by Spec that I should not be placing the bike upside down in the van whilst wet. As water could run into the TCU and cause my issues. Also not to do this after washing for the same reasons.

I was ignorant of this and washed my Levo upside down.

Guess what happened ...

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I do have a 2018 Levo Comp Carbon ridden in Danish conditions where it basically have rained non stop since last September - Done about 2000 miles and not a single error, crank is spinning backwards like new and bike have been hosed down after almost every ride. I'm close to end of warranty but it seems like i'm not so "fortunate" that my engine/battery will die - To be honest I'm very happy so far and even the 19/20 models seems like a much better trail bike I would not even consider buying one as long as all the present issues still exist. Hell, if someone offered me a new model in exchange for mine, I would reject it seriously.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles