OMG ive just spent 4k on a EMTB- Rise user experiences please

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
OK, as further above I'd have possibly gone for a large if it wasn't for my 12yr old sons enthusiasm for opening the box. However, even though the reach is 500mm I could easily fit a longer stem. The large- I sat on a large Occam and found it tight. The seat tube can be negated with a different dropper. Overall with my longer body with 'hindsight' I'd have still gone with the XL and buy a One up post.

Hartley Hare

Jun 1, 2022
Bristol, England
So it's my first emtb. I hired a Trek Rail for a day's hire in the Peaks and didn't like it at all. It was heavy, cumbersome and the brakes and suspension felt overwhelmed. It stopped me buying a emtb. However fast forward and I've bought a Rise H30 (I'll fit my Lyrik Ultimates and XTs that I have) in a sale. I had to buy it whilst having a couple of beers to get the courage up as I've never spent that much on a bike before! I've bought it to climb quicker, to get more descents/trails packed into a limited time. Will I regret it and go back to non emtb after?
I have a Rise M10 and a canyon spectral cf9. Used to love the canyon but now it’s no competition- I never ride it any more. Also have an acoustic (mondraker dune) which is great when I can get an uplift, but otherwise I ride E to get more fun in any ride. I anticipate you’ll be hooked. Ride twice as far, having fun on the uphills too. I use elbow and knee pads and tough shoes/boots as (especially in the early months of riding E), I had more knocks and spills, and the speed of rock/tree bashes falls tends to be higher. The bike is also a little heavier if it lands on you😂

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
No!.... No, you won't miss going walking pace in granny gear up a steep techy trail, or declining an invite to ride from a friend because you "just went yesterday and my knees are blown", nor will you wish you could just "slow-down a little" to turn your magical uphill flow into a standard choppy disjointed climb, nor will you miss failing again to make it up THAT SAME SECTION that you never seem to master because you - just - don't - quite - have - enough.... dammit!

Hell, with the Rise, you won't even notice much when you have to pick that thang up and throw it around as luggage (perhaps the worst aspect of emtb ownership). My Decoy with coils both ends requires some machinations and brake-hold wheelies and rolling, etc. to get it where I need to go before I dare lift with a well-placed (CG) hand.

My wife did the reverse, she owns a Rise M10 but while traveling, we all rented Rails out in Zion UT. She had a good time during the 2nd half of that day on the Rail (mostly downhill, gorgeous views, and Utah!) but by far prefers her Rise. She says it makes her feel like she's on her old "Stumpy hardtail" (circa '96 mind you), and much more natural than her former Giant Anthem X1 29er which never seemed to win her over.
This is a good summation, couldn’t agree more !!!
I just increased the suspension on my M-10. Put a coil over rear and new airshaft up front. It is now 170/160. THIS BIKE RIPS! I bomb super technical single track, fly through/OVER rock gardens and do occasional bike park days hitting 6 foot table tops. I’m very very happy with the bike and as someone else posted here, I don’t want the ride to end some days. Just want to keep going.
I was a little worried after dropping $9k on this thing if I had made a mistake. Obviously not. 🤟🏼

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
This is a good summation, couldn’t agree more !!!
I just increased the suspension on my M-10. Put a coil over rear and new airshaft up front. It is now 170/160. THIS BIKE RIPS! I bomb super technical single track, fly through/OVER rock gardens and do occasional bike park days hitting 6 foot table tops. I’m very very happy with the bike and as someone else posted here, I don’t want the ride to end some days. Just want to keep going.
I was a little worried after dropping $9k on this thing if I had made a mistake. Obviously not. 🤟🏼
Another rider I met on the trail today pointed out my bike is down on power out of the box. I've just downloaded the app and moved them all up... Next fit my Lyriks then a coil shock....

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
Plutohora, what length dropper are you using on the XL. Seems we are about the same height.
It's a 170. I was hoping to drop it alittle. I keep pressing 'full' extend and catching myself out. If I can adapt it I'd be inclined to keep as overall saddle low position for descents is fine.

scourge

Oct 11, 2022
St. Louis, MO USA
I am also trying to figure out if I should go with a Rise or full power e-mtb. Are you guys finding the Rise helps enough? Like you aren't dead at the end of climbs?

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Got my H30 about 8 weeks ago and I've been out every possible weekend on it. It does exactly what i hoped it would, which is let me ride longer, steeper, and farther than my normal MTB. Like I did in my 20s.

Was really worried about being able to lift it for my roof rack, but once I got used to the weight distribution, I've had no trouble getting it up there, even after a tiring ride. (and yes, it is well under the max load for the tray/rack)

Only upgrade so far is RideWrap and an SQLabs saddle.
What roof system do you have? My Thule stuff tops put at 20kg.

I reckon I can get my Rise to 20kg easily enough but I have a severe dislike for sticking it on the roof at that weight.

Even my hardtail at about 13kg wobbles around a scary amount.

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK

I reckon I can get my Rise to 20kg easily enough but I have a severe dislike for sticking it on the roof at that weight.

And how would you fix it? Front wheel off?

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
How tall are you guys on the XL? I'm 6'1" and they recommend the XL over the large. But I am worried about that crazy long seat tube.

And I hate to be that guy, but does anyone know what a stick XL weighs. Seems like it may be getting close to a regular e-mtb.
I'm 5'10.5" and went for the XL but I have long legs, centre of cranks to top of saddle in line with seat tube I set at 81.5cm on all my bikes...

Size seems bang on for me reach is good too - not sure on weight, not been an issue and lighter than my mates Scott E-Bike.....

IMG20220831194107.jpg

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
And how would you fix it? Front wheel off?
I have Thule 598 which leaves the front wheel on. Limit is 20kg.

The fork mount (front wheel off) options I looked at are limited to 18kg so no real benefit in removing the front wheel.

If the bike was 20kg with a wheel, it's going to be basically 18 without. Maybe slightly less depending on tyre choice.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
It's frustrating. Looking at those pics, there is so much they could shave off the seat tube.
The seat tube on the XL is extended compared to a large.... You really wouldn't want much more seat tube sticking out of there surely?

I tried the L and XL at the shop, both of those saddles on this pic are set roughly for me - bear in mind the XL has a longer (20mm?) dropper that the L
The XL also has a taller headtube... Which is great for taller riders - the cockpit works well for me

1666472903043.png

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
36 leg? My pants length is usually 33. I don't know if the 150mm will be short enough.
Leg length measured from floor barefoot. My pants inseam 34”. I’m really close on the 170 but have to retract it a little for good saddle height on trails. The rise has a long seat tube. The other option would be a 170 with adjustable travel like the PNW. I went with a 150 so my son (about 1” shorter than me) can ride it as well.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
So it's my first emtb. I hired a Trek Rail for a day's hire in the Peaks and didn't like it at all. It was heavy, cumbersome and the brakes and suspension felt overwhelmed. It stopped me buying a emtb. However fast forward and I've bought a Rise H30 (I'll fit my Lyrik Ultimates and XTs that I have) in a sale. I had to buy it whilst having a couple of beers to get the courage up as I've never spent that much on a bike before! I've bought it to climb quicker, to get more descents/trails packed into a limited time. Will I regret it and go back to non emtb after?
Well done. You will have heaps of fun on the rise

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA

Kuat Trio on Yakima FlushBars. It’s a fork mount so I take off the front wheel, that brings it under 43 lbs. Fine on the highway but I would not want to drive a rutted dirt road with it on the roof.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Stack height on the OC dropper is terrible. I 'm just under 6' on a large long torso w/ short legs... w/ the 170 post slammed with saddle dropped my heels were off the ground sitting on the bike. I now run a 210mm dropper fully slammed. Oneup's Stack is an inch lower than the OC Dropper.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
How tall are you guys on the XL? I'm 6'1" and they recommend the XL over the large. But I am worried about that crazy long seat tube.

And I hate to be that guy, but does anyone know what a stick XL weighs. Seems like it may be getting close to a regular e-mtb.
My XL H15 weighs 48 lbs with tubes pedals and Ergon saddle. Getting near FF weights but rides so much better than my rail did.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I am also trying to figure out if I should go with a Rise or full power e-mtb. Are you guys finding the Rise helps enough? Like you aren't dead at the end of climbs?
The rise rs with 60nm is ample. You can climb but slower, there's something satisfying about not ploughing through a climb, just make sure you are in the correct gear, you will be surprised how much power you have in eco with the correct gear.

I can easily achieve 30 miles with 800 meters of climbing on my m10 (360 battery) with 30% battery left, that's more than enough for my days riding.

I've been on full power gen 4 Bosch bikes before this. Honestly unless you live in the mountains the rise is one hell of a bike. I was tempted by the trek fuel but could not wait so opted for the rise.

As said above, certainly on the full carbon model its very satisfying riding with the motor off.

Stanley

Jan 15, 2019
Stockport
Hi @Plutohora,

Nice to meet you out on the trails today. Really enjoying riding the H30... I just need to sort that creak out!
Hope you found your route ok yesterday. Give me a shout if you ever want any route suggestions or a ride out in the area. I live in Marple, so on the edge of some great riding, although it's all gone very wet and muddy at the moment!

Andy

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles