Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
What changes have you made?

Everything but forks and drivetrain.

New bars, grips, stem, brakes (funny story), rotors, seat, dropper, cranks, wheels, shock, mode selector/shifter, fork guard, 1.5 angle headset and.... Pedals. But pedals don't count as they don't really come with proper pedals anyway.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Has anyone bought a motor guard ? I am looking for one but can't seem to find

Make one yourself? This bloke does..

FB_IMG_1531223098612.jpg

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
....mode selector/shifter
May I ask what you used as a replacement mode selector? The stock Shimano selector doesn't really work well with an under bar mounted dropper-remote (which I prefer).

I'm currently waiting on my E-Sixtyone 900 and already have some minor updates planned. The XT shifter and rear mech are going to be replaced with Sram GX gripshift, and the brake calipers with the XT four pot version.
Also I will have to switch the hoses, as the bike is delivered with the front brake on the left hand side :( Not a big deal, I always have to do that, but on the Merida the hose runs on the inside of the frame and comes out on the "wrong" side of the downtube (left). It's nicer to run it in front of the headtube so I'll probably have to re-route it.

Is that a simple job on this frame? Or do I have to be prepared for some serious headaches? ;)

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
May I ask what you used as a replacement mode selector? The stock Shimano selector doesn't really work well with an under bar mounted dropper-remote (which I prefer).

I'm currently waiting on my E-Sixtyone 900 and already have some minor updates planned. The XT shifter and rear mech are going to be replaced with Sram GX gripshift, and the brake calipers with the XT four pot version.
Also I will have to switch the hoses, as the bike is delivered with the front brake on the left hand side :( Not a big deal, I always have to do that, but on the Merida the hose runs on the inside of the frame and comes out on the "wrong" side of the downtube (left). It's nicer to run it in front of the headtube so I'll probably have to re-route it.

Is that a simple job on this frame? Or do I have to be prepared for some serious headaches? ;)

20180713_234430.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

You just unplug the old E8000 one and plug in the new E6000

That’s better - EMTB Forums

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
Seriously thinking of buying an Eone Sixty 900E as my first venture into emtb.
However it's obviously a costly investment so want to be sure it's the right bike.

What are owners experiences - likes / dislikes. Things that weren't as you had hoped from the outset? What do you simply love about it?

emtbtakeover

May 9, 2018
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
However it's obviously a costly investment so want to be sure it's the right bike.

What are owners experiences - likes / dislikes. Things that weren't as you had hoped from the outset? What do you simply love about it?

I like the way it handles and just ploughs through anything. It's an amazing bike, but there are some slight details that could take it from a "10 out of 10" bike to "11 out of 10":
I don't like the crank arm length and will be switching to 160mm soon because I've been pedal striking quite a bit on ascents.
I don't like the lack of cable management around the cockpit, but that's a quick project for a Sunday evening
I don't like the mode shifters and will be switching to e6000 or e7000 mode switchers.
Disclaimer - i've got the 800 and that's why i have not addressed other components.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia

I did a bit of research before buying. What sold me was it's descending capabilities. I didn't want a cross country climbing machine. If descending is your preference (jumps, drops, gaps, rock gardens, etc) then you'll have no buyers regret.

Climbing tight switchbacks is another story, especially if you've put in a 1.5 angle set. But like I said.. I'm not into climbing so I don't really care about that stuff.

Price and value WAS the best out of any ebike... but now they're so popular, they've upped the price by about $1k. I originally purchased my 900e for $6,000 AUD flat. At the time that was the bargain of the century as they're now retailing for closer to $8k. I could sell my used 900E for a profit!

The BIGGEST negative I have with the bike is the rear brake mount. It does NOT allow fatter calipers like Hope's V4 to fit. So you're limited in terms of what brakes you use.

The second negative I had was the cockpit (bars, stem, grips, dropper) which I changed straight away. This is pure preference though and nothing to do with the actual frame or design of the bike.

The third negative is the linkage rocker design as it's a little hard to fit a coil shock without the spring hitting the seat tube AND fitting a non-metric shock in there. I made it work but it's definitely not easy.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand

Love mine almost as is. Fantastic bike. Just will change to a shorter crank and E7000 controller switches when they become available so the seat dropper control can be better located.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
You can still put a reverb dropper with thumb shift on a standard bike, just move the left hand mode shifter inboard. I'm waiting for the 7000 button mode shifter.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Ordered the 900 today. Really looking forward to getting out on it.

Mine was ordered on June 6, and It's planned to arive during next week :) can't wait.
It seems that the last production for this 2018 bikes will be available on the beginning of August so you will probably wait much less time than me.

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
I think the weight and these tractor sized tyres will take some adjusting to. It is fun being able to point it at any upwards gradient and simply pedal up anything though :)

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
I think the weight and these tractor sized tyres will take some adjusting to. It is fun being able to point it at any upwards gradient and simply pedal up anything though :)

First thing I'll change on Merida is the front wheel and tyre to 29" x 2.5 (maxxis minion DHF). Could have gone to a 29" x 2.4 (maxxis minion DHR II) tyre but I wanted to experiment the DHF. It's not much less weight than the 27,5" x 2.8 tyre but it's a behaviour much more favorable for lesser front wheel impacts and for improving the ground feel.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Got my 900 (size S) last week and did some changes/upgrades before the first ride.
Changed the shifting to gripshift (and a Sram derailleur ofcourse) because my thumb doesn't like triggers. And I switched the XT calipers for the new four-pot calipers.
I also switched the hoses from left to right vice versa, so now the front brake is on the right hand side (in Europe bikes are setup with the front brake on the left hand side). Because the hose enters the frame on the left side the routing is not ideal now, maybe I'll change that some day but I think that needs removing the motor... :(
IMG_20180721_175101893.jpg

Cable end cap coming soon ;)
IMG_20180721_192417681.jpg

Yesterday I did a short first testride and I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of fun with this bike...
Ofcourse the extra weight takes some getting used to, but the bike feels very well balanced. Did some small jumps, tight turns and it handles lighter than you'd expect.
I'm already getting the feel for the way the motor kicks in, looking forward to getting the bike on some "real trails" (which unfortunately are not very close to my house). Next step is finetuning the suspension, experimenting with tire pressure and putting on XT pedals (on the pics are the plastic ones that came with the bike).
And as a bonus, the Merida really is a pretty bike...
IMG_20180722_121329955.jpg

IMG_20180722_121341091.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles