Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Has anyone tried 29er wheels with the merida?
Whats the widest tyre that you can run front/back?
I've read a few people have tested this and generally prefer it. I've ridden the original 2.8" DHR ll rear and both 2.4 and 2.6" DHR ll up front. If you can find a 29x2.8" I guess that wil fit too. The rear can barely take a 3.0" (75mm) tyre. Some 3.0" tyres are bigger than others, so some may not fit. I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.8" rear for my use.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
As i am new to proper ebikes, i compare it to manual bikes constantly as i ride.

One of my main thoughts is i think these Emtb's dont need as slack geometry due to the weight placed low, compared to manual bikes.
This bike takes me down pretty gnarly trails with confidence i must say!
And that's while still feeling playfull and poppy!

Ofcourse, slacker and even longer would be better if youre only goal was to plow rock gardens and are willing to sacrifice playfullness, but seriously this bike even does that well!

What are youre thoughts guys?
Are people too hungry for hype's and numbers, and forget how they really want a bike to ride? Sometimes i think so :)

My bike, upgraded with 155mm miranda crank arms, 2x cushcore + a extra battery.
Love it!
20190414_110525.jpg

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
And heres why you should install a ftame protector... A big rock kicked up into my lower frametube yesterday at high speed.. Didnt sound good at all.. Would be a huge scratch, or even a dent in the frame without the protector..

Hard to show on camera, but the carbon got some damage through several layers, and cracked alittle.

20190416_210237.jpg

grim007

Apr 11, 2019
Israel
I realised I wasnt able to drop the post lower because the cable routing stopper was holding the cable.
Anyway I ordered a ONE-UP 170mm dropper for mine :)

Sbotond3

Apr 24, 2019
Hungary
And heres why you should install a ftame protector... A big rock kicked up into my lower frametube yesterday at high speed.. Didnt sound good at all.. Would be a huge scratch, or even a dent in the frame without the protector..

Hard to show on camera, but the carbon got some damage through several layers, and cracked alittle.

View attachment 13022

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I also ride an eOne Sixty 800 since last September and I really like it.

I just saw your post with the carbon frame protector. Could you tell me where can I get this or a similar one? Unfortunately I hit a rock last week with my frame and now I'm afraid if it happens again...

I'm also thinking about to put a longer air shaft I'm my Yari fork.
Should I choose the 170mm version or I can go for the 180mm one?

It might be a silly questions, but if extend the fork's travel by 20mm and remove the 2 spacers below the stem (they are about 20mm thick together also) in the end I'll have the same "geometry"?

Thanks in advance for the replies:)

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I also ride an eOne Sixty 800 since last September and I really like it.

I just saw your post with the carbon frame protector. Could you tell me where can I get this or a similar one? Unfortunately I hit a rock last week with my frame and now I'm afraid if it happens again...

You need to think about what you want to protect, cosmetic, stones flicking up or full on bashing the motor on a fallen tree, big rock etc
either will alter your geo, see below

It might be a silly questions, but if extend the fork's travel by 20mm and remove the 2 spacers below the stem (they are about 20mm thick together also) in the end I'll have the same "geometry"?
No, the handlebar height will be the same but your head tube will be much slacker as will the seat tube totally altering the geo, you may like or prefer it though ?

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
I’ll not put a link to my bash guards as the internet police will come knocking at my door. I’m sure someone else can point this chap in the right direction though ?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I’ll not put a link to my bash guards as the internet police will come knocking at my door. I’m sure someone else can point this chap in the right direction though ?
We have spoken about this before but as you have stated that your guard has no clearance between the motor & the frame ( and being plastic will have some flex EDIT thus delivering the impact, although dissipated, directly to the motor /EDIT)it doesn’t offer the total protection of a proper bash guard, still better than anything I’ve seen so far though.

Last edited:

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
We have spoken about this before but as you have stated that your guard has no clearance between the motor & the frame ( and being plastic will have some flex)it doesn’t offer the total protection of a proper bash guard, still better than anything I’ve seen so far though.
Two years of testing / selling and no one has broken, cracked or complained that they don’t work plus KTM use the same material (actually thinner than mine) on their enduro motorbike sump guards is about as near to giving total protection in my opinion. Thanks for your opinion though.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Two years of testing / selling and no one has broken, cracked or complained that they don’t work plus KTM use the same material (actually thinner than mine) on their enduro motorbike sump guards is about as near to giving total protection in my opinion. Thanks for your opinion though.
As I said your guard is the best I have come across, I believe a small gap between the guard and motor would make it better ?
Out of interest do you think using rivnuts or helicoils to secure it to the frame would make it stronger although it would invalidate the warranty?

Last edited:

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
As I said your guard is the best I have come across, I believe a small gap between the guard motor would make it better ?
There is a gap, depends where you clamp the front two ties. Further up the down tube narrows the gap and further down widens it. On mine the gap is probably 2mm. I did supply the first ones with a strip of dense foam to cushion it but after speaking to the Shimano tech guys they told me the casing is designed and strong enough to “take rock strikes” so I decided it didn’t need the foam. The guard does flex which means it probably does hit the metal casing but the load is spread over a much wider area. All I can say is the bottom of my motor is in as good condition now as it was when it came from the shop which is just about two years ago.
Putting holes for helicoils would definitely invalidate your warranty. Trust me, they are strong enough, I’m 90kgs and smash through everything hard, the guard has never and will never fail. Money back or a free replacement if anyone’s ever did. ?

Last edited:

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for the replies:)
I've thought about changing the air spring in my lyrik as well. As mentioned it will change the geometry, head angle will be slightly slacker, bb height will be a few mm higher. Dropping the bars won't affect geometry but it will restore the riding position.

There's been a few fitting 29" wheels to the front which would have a similar effect

Sbotond3

Apr 24, 2019
Hungary
Thanks for all the replies!

This 20mm change in the fork travel could cause the front wheel to detach from the ground much easier when I'm pedaling up on a hill? Or it's not that significant change?

Actually this is the main reason I'm hesitating..

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Thanks for all the replies!

This 20mm change in the fork travel could cause the front wheel to detach from the ground much easier when I'm pedaling up on a hill? Or it's not that significant change?

Actually this is the main reason I'm hesitating..
I wouldnt worry about it. I have a 180mm Lyrik and minus 1.5 degree headset and its all good. Like i said elsewhere on here, it was only when i later tried a 29er wheel, the handling became a problem.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

You could follow the forum rules and become a trader. You never post except to promote your products, ever. Now your invading other Merida threads.

I'd never buy your product as you don't seem to think the rules apply to you.

Gordon

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
You could follow the forum rules and become a trader. You never post except to promote your products, ever. Now your invading other Merida threads.

I'd never buy your product as you don't seem to think the rules apply to you.

Gordon
I’ve already explained to you that I messaged the site administrator regarding becoming a trader and got no reply. I’ve also clicked on the link to contact them but that takes me to a Ducati forum.??? If you are in charge here, you tell me what more I can do. You didn’t reply last time I asked this, perhaps you can this time.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA

You will have about 0.5° slacker head angle and about 5 mm higher bottom bracket per 10mm of fork length, while retaining similar bar height. I went +10 on the lyrik on my meta power and am happy with the results.

grim007

Apr 11, 2019
Israel
I've had about 4 rides on the bike so far about 120km all together of technical terrain.
Must say I'm in love with this bike. Every ride gets me super pumped. It took me about 2 rides to get used to the bike, and on the last ride I already started feeling really comfortable on it doubling stuff and jumping. Once you get used to the weight, the bike feels super nimble. Bunny hops well and rolls everything. The last 3-4 years I was mostly riding 120\140 mm trail bikes and I guess I forgot what a true enduro bike feels like.

Btw I installed Zee brakes by detaching the lever and caliper of the SLX brake, swapping the bolt that goes into the caliper with the zee one and reusing the SLX hose without having to remove the motor. A small bleed and everything works like a dream. There is no doubt Zee are the right brake for this bike.
I've also ordered a OneUp 170mm dropper and the Shimano E7000 switch so I can install the dropper controller under the bars on the left. In addition I had to install a different derailleur shifter as the one that comes on the bike is Ispec and mounts directly to the break, which I couldn't do with the Zee breaks. Took of an XTR shifter from another bike, couldnt be happier :)
Once I will go through the tyres I will try 2.5 assagai on the rear and maybe a 2.6 in front. Still can't figure out if I live the fat tyres or not :)

Also I was very surprised by Yari's performance. I was kinda worried it won't feel as good as the forks I'm used to (fox factory), but it feels really plush and I'm super happy with it.

Tommyknocker

Feb 14, 2019
Madrid
Anyone have thougth about to set a pair of 29” wheels into merida?? I am thinking about it, and I am not sure if it will fix ok

Tommyknocker

Feb 14, 2019
Madrid
Anyone have thougth about to set a pair of 29” wheels into merida?? I am thinking about it, and I am not sure if it will fix ok
I say 29” front and rear, I’ve allready set 29/27,5 plus and it feels so good that makes me think about better set up could be possible on the 29 front and rear Wheel... just thinking

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles