Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

crembz

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
Why would you get Ohlins compared to E-Storia? Same price, but E-Storia is both safer choice for Levos due to thicker shaft, much higher tunability (it's both tuned from factory to your style and bike and also keeps bigger range of external adjustments afterwards), better bottom out (best hydraulic bottom out in industry), less weight (sub 100gram compared to air X2), looks absolutely stunning visually, etc.

Unless you got some really good deal :- )
Local availability and serviceability is non existent.

Ohlins have a local presence. The other options were cane creek and dvo apart from the usual suspects ... And elevensix ... But they were a little painful to deal with.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
are you running coils on the SL with the standard linkage? I though the SL was too linear for a coil in standard form?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Any SL owners compare say the x2 against the ohlins coil shock? The x2 is supposedly coil like, but which gives the better ride? I've never owned a coil shock so tempted to order one.

The X2 has the initial supple feel of a coil if it's run on very soft settings ( especially Low speed compression), but then there is a sacrifice of mid support. The end ramp up of course makes it naturally progressive unlike a coil. If you dial the X2 with more mid support with more air and LSC you will lose the initial off the top 'coil like' supply feel. It can't seem to give the supplemess and the support at the same time. It will blow through travel. I'm still experimenting with my X2.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
And it's 34.9 or shimmed 31.6? I can't tell, but looks like the former right?

If so, how much can you slam it into the frame? Or is that already a maximum? I would be very grateful for the minimum distance between bottom of collar and top of frame.
it's 34.9, not slammed but can go down about a cm more than shown, noticably lower than the stock post, makes a big difference overall

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Any SL owners compare say the x2 against the ohlins coil shock? The x2 is supposedly coil like, but which gives the better ride? I've never owned a coil shock so tempted to order one.
I have the X2 and Ohlins (Ohlins normally on FF Levo, both 210 x 55), over weekend blew out rebound on my X2 while riding on the SL so switched to Ohlins and IMO is just more planted and responsive on the rough.

I am debating selling the X2 once it comes back from warranty, will see.

crembz

Sep 4, 2021
Australia
I have the X2 and Ohlins (Ohlins normally on FF Levo, both 210 x 55), over weekend blew out rebound on my X2 while riding on the SL so switched to Ohlins and IMO is just more planted and responsive on the rough.

I am debating selling the X2 once it comes back from warranty, will see.
That's good to know, do you run it with the Cascade link?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Hrm now I'm wondering whether using the ohlins coil shock without a cascade link will be a bit of a false start
Correction on my part, have been running cascade w/X2 for 6 months. Ran a bomber with stock link for about 3 months and was hugely better than stock DPS, added cascade link and that made big improvement to overall feel of suspension without getting into details. Having ridden coils with and without cascade I'd much rather ride with cascade.

The only reason I even have an X2 is because Bomber blew out twice and Fox would only give me X2 as replacement.

freerideandi

Mar 21, 2019
Germany
Correction on my part, have been running cascade w/X2 for 6 months. Ran a bomber with stock link for about 3 months and was hugely better than stock DPS, added cascade link and that made big improvement to overall feel of suspension without getting into details. Having ridden coils with and without cascade I'd much rather ride with cascade.

The only reason I even have an X2 is because Bomber blew out twice and Fox would only give me X2 as replacement.
ok but the Öhlins you run with the Cascade Link?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
ok but the Öhlins you run with the Cascade Link?
Yes I have but not for an extended period of time on SL. Have been running Ohlins on FF Levo for 3 months approximately also with cascade link. No issues so far. Can't really speak about the SL long term w/Ohlins but for the rides I've done on SL with Ohlins has felt really good.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I have this one.
(I guess I just re use the flip chip on the lower part).
934ACDD1-3287-4217-8A27-35BACAFBCD72.jpeg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
and I'll be fitting a 210x55 X2 (if that makes any difference to re-using the flip chip?)

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I have this one.
(I guess I just re use the flip chip on the lower part).

If you pull the black plastic rings off each side you'll see if beige IGUS type or press fit metal bushing. Yes reuse flip chip on new shock.

On my SL's DPS they are IGUS but on FF Levo metal press fit

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Can I use the same shock bushings from my DPS on an X2?
its not the exact same size bushings as the DPS. If you use the DPS hardware your shock will have play. It needs bushings iirc that are 1mm wider on each side of the shock eye. I can't remember the exact size difference so please check. If you mount up the DPS hardware you'll see what I mean, you'll be able to push/pull the top end of the shock from side to side.

Also, I find it hard to believe the X2 is heavier than the Ohlins with spring

Last edited:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
you mean slightly wider plastic rings ?
I'm not sure where I would check this?
Yes the outer plastic rings. I went to The Fox dealers Silverfish (was mojo) which is near where I live Hoping they had a couple of spares in a work tray. They didn't, and it cost me 18 effing quid for a hole new hardware set.😡

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
@apac I've just read some comments on the Marshall Mullin video and they say you can simply swap out the bushing from the DPS to the X2.

The X2 comes with the beige plastic bushings, so I will remove those and see if the DPS shock pin and bushings work. lol. I hope so 'cause I can't find any others to buy online?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
are there any downsides to running a 160mm fork on the SL?

It makes you realise the stock rear shock is nothing special. Which leads to hours of re reading the thread trying to decide between a cascade link or better shock, plus another re read trying to decide between stock or longer stroke. Mixed with experiments with tokens / flip chips etc. I was perfectly happy with the suspension until my ego hit " buy " on a 160 x36....

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
lol. I've already decided on a better shock. will be fitting an X2 Shock and Lyrik Ultimate 160mm fork.
Also getting a range extender and a de-restrictor from @TrailwattsUK
Final step is to put a better front tyre on. might go for a DHR II 2.4 up the front now we are getting into the wet season.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
@apac I've just read some comments on the Marshall Mullin video and they say you can simply swap out the bushing from the DPS to the X2.

The X2 comes with the beige plastic bushings, so I will remove those and see if the DPS shock pin and bushings work. lol. I hope so 'cause I can't find any others to buy online?

Perhaps that will work, my DPS had the same beige bushing as the x2

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA

Haven't had any issues of play here swapping hardware between DPS/X2. Running DPS now until X2 gets repaired. I have seen outer plastic washers with round tips so essentially slightly wider but can't find in stock anywhere.
Closest item in my area is this, but no metion of crush washers being varied or different between items, this dealer pretty extensive with spare parts

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
OK chaps, the X2 is on the bike, removed all the bushings from the DPS and put them on the X2, fitted like a dream.

What settings are you using on your X2 and what is your weight?

I'm about 85kg, 250psi for 30% sag. The Fox suggesting rebound settings were sh!t, very slow, so I have backed off the LSR to about 8 clicks out and the HSR about 4 clicks I think. (from closed)

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Apologies if I added added any confusion over the hardware fitment. But I did have issues and needed wider spacers. Seems really odd that no one else has.

I’m similar weight 87kg

240psi for 30% sag
From closed position
HSR. 4 clicks out (4 of 8)
LSR. 8 to 10 click out
HSC 4 clicks out (4 of 6)
LSC. 13 clicks out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles