Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
All this talk of dropper post lengths is more boring than a political thread.
Let’s pump it up a notch…

45856E3C-41BB-45D4-80E3-EA663B5EA37C.jpeg

Coilage in a Lyrik Ultimate! Smooooth!

Kappa89

May 24, 2022
Florence
hi guys, I have a question about the headset. When I bought the bike I was given two added conical spacers. What is the difference in using these conicals rather than the standard ring ones? (beyond aesthetics) Is there any substantial improvement or difference? Thanks

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
hi guys, I have a question about the headset. When I bought the bike I was given two added conical spacers. What is the difference in using these conicals rather than the standard ring ones? (beyond aesthetics) Is there any substantial improvement or difference? Thanks
Just aesthetics, you can use those if you don't have enough or right amount of spacers. Nothing else. If you use conical spacers, just remember to remove this number B spacer (marked red in picture)
1653417270437.png

Last edited:

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic

Those are just aesthetic, although there exist version on market that claims performance :- )
Stiffmaster - Intend (intend-bc.com)

On other note, seeing the discussion revolves around droppers, I ended up installing Aenomaly Switchgrade on top of 150mm OneUp v2 (180 version would have ended up being in 16cm mode, not worth it) and it is really solid improvement. It's really damn good, esp. for downhill.

The uphill might not be worth it for those in more flatter countries, although it is really nice for my 30+ min fireroads. But the downhill angle is beneficial for absolutely everyone.

Positions.jpg

IMG_20220525_090310_Upload.jpg

Last edited:

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
Those are just aesthetic, although there exist version on market that claims performance :- )
Stiffmaster - Intend (intend-bc.com)

On other note, seeing the discussion revolves around droppers, I ended up installing Aenomaly Switchgrade on top of 150mm OneUp v2 (180 version would have ended up being in 16cm mode, not worth it) and it is really solid improvement. It's really damn good, esp. for downhill.

The uphill might not be worth it for those in more flatter countries, although it is really nice for my 30+ min fireroads. But the downhill angle is beneficial for absolutely everyone.

View attachment 88804

View attachment 88805
Nice! Have also though about getting it to get a little more space/"drop" to my one up 150mm but am worried about it adding too much stack height as im already slammed.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah fit was perfect. I run it with the Specialized SWAT tool and haven’t had an issue yet. As for feel, I’ll be honest, haven’t noticed a difference in feel but I am not very in-tune with subtle differences anyway. I mainly run it as their bearings promise longevity and my hubs have lasted me 4 bikes and still going strong.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I've been chasing better performance out of the rear end of this bike in a certain scenario since day one and I think at last I've found the solution. Short version...more HSC.
Longer version..

Repeated sharp edge hits have always been dealt with badly on the back end. It felt like the back end wasn't getting out of the way quickly enough and then it wasn't recovering to prepare for the next which meant the bike was stalling on each hit and causing my weight to transfer forward. The loss of bike speed over this terrain was significant and I found it hugely distracting, coupled with the extra force put thru the bars to try and keep my bodyweight centered it was just all wrong.

I have been messing with faster rebound (thought I needed faster HSR and slower LSR) and decreasing HSC thinking I needed to get the shock moving quicker but the back end became uncontrolled....still rideable but I wasn't satisifed. What gave the idea of adding HSC was a comment in a video from Paul Aston and his Rulezman tuned Cane Creek shock on the Commencal DH bike. He sounded like he was experiencing the same issue of harshness and lack of compliance on repeated hits and his solution was to add significant HSC (well, Dave's solution after I think he analysed the on board data). Anyway, I did the same and now have the HSC one click from fully in (EXT Storia with 475lb spring) and the difference is significant. It all became clear now. The rear wheel had been getting too deep into its stroke and too deep into the terrain so it was progression against repeated high force and that makes for a very difficult situation for any shock. The bike feels so better balanced now and the small adjustment has even made my fork feel more compliant and controlled.

Every ride since the change I have come back absolutely loving this bike, something that wasn't happening before...it was good but not great as that repeated hit harshness really bothered me as it would occur multiple times during every ride. This scenario isn't going to bother everyone, it is very dependant on rider speed and terrain but if you do feel it try adding HSC. Game changer for me and my relationship with this bike.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I found the limit of the KSL battery couple days ago. Very steap uphill, about 100m vertical every kilometres. After 10 km my battery was almost empy. About 20% left. Rode trail and turbo 40/60

Kenevieve

Sep 21, 2021
Perämettä
Fork swap, 3 rides so far so cannot write review yet. I like feeling of the Öhlins forks more than the Fox. Öhlins has a nice bike specific air spring settings available so set up was very easy. I have rxf 36 in my other bike and I used same settings for HSC,LSC and LSR. One thing what I can already say is that it definitely rides better in slow speed rock gardens.
IMG_3142.jpg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I found the limit of the KSL battery couple days ago. Very steap uphill, about 100m vertical every kilometres. After 10 km my battery was almost empy. About 20% left. Rode trail and turbo 40/60
And today at different profile of the mountain. 24 km 1100 vertical up and 1150 down. Battery left 62%

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I had to pull my shock out for service this week and could not figure out why it would not go back in as easily as it came out. Is there some special trick to getting the bottom end back in? I know it has to be a tight fit with all those bearing bushings and spacers but I am sure there has to be a better method that the way I ended up getting the shock back in!

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
I've been chasing better performance out of the rear end of this bike in a certain scenario since day one and I think at last I've found the solution. Short version...more HSC.
Longer version..

Repeated sharp edge hits have always been dealt with badly on the back end. It felt like the back end wasn't getting out of the way quickly enough and then it wasn't recovering to prepare for the next which meant the bike was stalling on each hit and causing my weight to transfer forward. The loss of bike speed over this terrain was significant and I found it hugely distracting, coupled with the extra force put thru the bars to try and keep my bodyweight centered it was just all wrong.

I have been messing with faster rebound (thought I needed faster HSR and slower LSR) and decreasing HSC thinking I needed to get the shock moving quicker but the back end became uncontrolled....still rideable but I wasn't satisifed. What gave the idea of adding HSC was a comment in a video from Paul Aston and his Rulezman tuned Cane Creek shock on the Commencal DH bike. He sounded like he was experiencing the same issue of harshness and lack of compliance on repeated hits and his solution was to add significant HSC (well, Dave's solution after I think he analysed the on board data). Anyway, I did the same and now have the HSC one click from fully in (EXT Storia with 475lb spring) and the difference is significant. It all became clear now. The rear wheel had been getting too deep into its stroke and too deep into the terrain so it was progression against repeated high force and that makes for a very difficult situation for any shock. The bike feels so better balanced now and the small adjustment has even made my fork feel more compliant and controlled.

Every ride since the change I have come back absolutely loving this bike, something that wasn't happening before...it was good but not great as that repeated hit harshness really bothered me as it would occur multiple times during every ride. This scenario isn't going to bother everyone, it is very dependant on rider speed and terrain but if you do feel it try adding HSC. Game changer for me and my relationship with this bike.
Yeah I could have written this word for word!

Got my storia which was a big step in right direction for me off of X2 as far as having more dampening support.

I ended up adding more and more HSC until I was fully closed. I ended up sending shock back in for a stiffer stack and up a spring rate. I'm still 9 click out from closed. Rear is feeling fantastic. I have always had preference for a lot of compression so I don't think everyone needs this much.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^ I think you experience this as the Kenevo SL/ Enduro has a progressive beginning/linear ending leverage curve. This is a compromise so that both air and coil work ok, but coil does not ramp up enough without bottom bumper or hydraulic bottom out.

I too am contemplating a Push ElevenSix or EXT Lok v3 or E-Storia but around here is all sharp rock for the entire trails, it is all repeated square edge hits. This concerns me with a coil as you have to try to keep speed up to float and keep momentum.

With what you say did you end up also slowing rebound as you closed your HSC? It sounds like it was "packing up" which is what speeding up the rebound will help with (think of rebound as helping control your dynamic ride height through hits)

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I know it has to be a tight fit with all those bearing bushings and spacers but I am sure there has to be a better method that the way I ended up getting the shock back in!
I used one of these on my mates KSL when I changed the spring on his Ohlins coil the other day. Didn't take much pressure at all.

1656576172064.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles