Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Been a bit tough to get out for some testing. I will report back after I do get time in on the new suspension settings.

In the meantime, has anyone tried a mixed wheel size on their Kenevo SL?

I’m going to setup my suspension with 29s but then try a 27.5 rear with the high and steep setup - to see how that feels.

The Specialized Geo setup guide talks about mixed wheel size, and I thought that it’s worth a try at least. ?
I think they didn’t update the text from the levo geo calc . I could be wrong though. I did find spec errors that they then corrected when I bugged them enough to get what the actual spec was lol

but in terms of testing, someone on the Facebook levo sl/ksl group has been trying with limited luck

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I had my first run today. Started out with Fox’s recommended fork and shock settings. They did not work for me. Here is where I am at currently: The shock at 235 psi for 30% sag; rebound 10 out; compression fully open. For the fork, at 200lbs Fox recommends 100-105 psi. I ended up at 93psi with 1 volume spacer; high speed compression 4 out, low speed 8 out; high speed rebound 5 out, low 7 out. The Fox 38 and the rear linkage design are very good. I typically run a coil shock, but this is the first bike I’ve ridden in a long time that doesn’t feel like it will need a coil shock. The motor definitely has noticeably less power than my YT Decoy, but still enough. You just have to go uphill slower in a lower gear. For me, it is the perfect combination. I need the exercise at my age. The lighter weight is significant and much closer to the feel of a non-Ebike. Definitely easier to jump and throw around. If climbing as fast as possible is your thing I don’t think this is the bike for you. I like rougher downhill trails, moderate jumps (6-10’ doubles) and 4-5’ drops are in my comfort zone. I’ve done 12-15’ gaps but I need to work up to those on trails I’m able to do a lot of runs on. I’m 65 years old and come from a motocross background and ride with younger guys that are significantly faster than me when possible if that helps. I enjoy technical climbing, but don’t care how long it takes to get to the top. I get passed by younger and fitter riders on non-Ebikes all the time and it doesn’t bother me.

Did your fork come with any tokens installed? I haven’t checked yet. I am actually at 93ish psi (176lb) weight, with compression mostly open and rebound a tad faster than what fox recommends. Feels pretty killer but I haven’t gotten full travel more than once (cased a 25 ft table lol)

I am bottom out the shock at bit more than I like (at least at the bike park). Otherwise it’s feel great. I think I will try a volume reducer in the rear Vs go up in psi

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Did your fork come with any tokens installed? I haven’t checked yet.

Each of these forks (factory or not) should come with 2 reducers. (standard on non-emtb 170mm spec)

And yeah, I agree that a reducer added to the shock vs adding psi is the right way to go.
I added 10 more psi last week - it reduced bottoming out and stopped the full travel on small hits but lost the plush feeling in the mid stroke.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
My fork came with 2 volume spacers. At 200lbs and 100psi in the fork I wasn’t using all the travel. Only about 150mm. I dropped psi to 93 and removed a volume spacer and it feels very good. Nice and plush but not blowing through the travel or bottoming out excessively. My next ride will be at the bike park with significantly higher speeds and bigger drops and jumps. I will find out if I need a volume spacer in the shock.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Got a couple of runs in tonight.
Still need to do proper bracket testing.
(Tomorrow, I hope)

I’m on a S3 - I’m 97kg / 215lbs ~

Shock: So with 2 bands in the shock - feels really good. Did a high speed flow/tech run with decent compressions throughout.
Shock felt amazing. Travel used was perfect.
PSI is 210. Big improvement from previous ride. (Had 220psi and no volume reducers. Shock seemed harsh)

Fork: 3 tokens and I came down to 110PSI - sitting at 18% sag.
Not using as much travel as I thought I would, even from some decent drops that would use max (without bottoming) travel on my ZEB.
This bike is at least 10 lbs lighter, so I guess it all makes sense.
Im going to try a bit less PSI - go to 20% sag and leave 3 token for my next testing session.

I’ll get into compression and rebound settings after the next ride.

Cheers

6F31B53E-19A7-4522-A672-FC37AF3DB1F8.jpeg

8E5CDF9D-4379-451C-B138-CF7F3D11F57E.jpeg

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Some action. Maybe when I find time I will put a YouTube together. Maybe
Got a couple of runs in tonight.
Still need to do proper bracket testing.
(Tomorrow, I hope)

I’m on a S3 - I’m 97kg / 215lbs ~

Shock: So with 2 bands in the shock - feels really good. Did a high speed flow/tech run with decent compressions throughout.
Shock felt amazing. Travel used was perfect.
PSI is 210. Big improvement from previous ride. (Had 220psi and no volume reducers. Shock seemed harsh)

Fork: 3 tokens and I came down to 110PSI - sitting at 18% sag.
Not using as much travel as I thought I would, even from some decent drops that would use max (without bottoming) travel on my ZEB.
This bike is at leas10 lbs lighter, so I guess it all makes sense.
Im going to try a bit less PSI - go to 20% sag and leave 3 token for my next testing session.

I’ll get into compression and rebound settings after the next ride.

Cheers

View attachment 64077
View attachment 64078

Nice report . What is your sag in the rear measured at the shock? I am running 220psi (according to my very old rockshox pump ) to get 30% at my 180lb ish weight . No volume bands as of yet, but that’s going in soon.

btw where you able to get the volume bands in the x2 without removing the rear shock?

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
What is your sag in the rear measured at the shock?

Sag = 35% according to my callipers.
PSI = 212 according to my digital RS pump

btw where you able to get the volume bands in the x2 without removing the rear shock?

I had to remove the shock completely. It’s way too tucked into the shock tunnel, I think.
Removal wasn’t too bad. Just watch out for the little bits between the pivot arms and bearings. I had to look at the exploded view diagram when putting it back together.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Thanks @Kinger . 35% is a bit higher than I would have thought to work with this bike, but it does have a pretty progressive leverage rate. I was hitting the bottom out bumper yesterday on a few cased jumps (25-30ft to the knuckle). I wouldn't call it harsh, but it could have been gentler.

Jump is the ramp in this (did not case it in this clip). Oh and this bike rips at the park..

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
@jcmonty - I agree about the 35% Sag.
I’m going to get back to 30% and see if 2 bands keeps me away from full travel.
Need to try it on the local jump trails.
That Party Wave looks amazing!

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I’m at 235 psi for 30%. I haven’t had a chance to do bracket testing yet, but it feels quite good so far. How many reducers are in the stock S3?
That trail at the bike park looks mighty fun!
I agree with removing the rear shock. There are lots of bushings, spacers, dust seals with this linkage. On my Enduro I was very deliberate about laying out the pieces in the order they came off. Watch the torque settings closely. I snapped one of the Upper linkage bolts on my Enduro because I read the wrong torque number from the exploded view. It was only about 4Nm higher than what it should have been. I assume they are designed this way to prevent damage to the frame. Specialized was very good and sent me an entire rear linkage axle, bolt, bushing, spacer kit. They probably assumed this idiot will do it again.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I’m at 235 psi for 30%. I haven’t had a chance to do bracket testing yet, but it feels quite good so far. How many reducers are in the stock S3?
That trail at the bike park looks mighty fun!
I agree with removing the rear shock. There are lots of bushings, spacers, dust seals with this linkage. On my Enduro I was very deliberate about laying out the pieces in the order they came off. Watch the torque settings closely. I snapped one of the Upper linkage bolts on my Enduro because I read the wrong torque number from the exploded view. It was only about 4Nm higher than what it should have been. I assume they are designed this way to prevent damage to the frame. Specialized was very good and sent me an entire rear linkage axle, bolt, bushing, spacer kit. They probably assumed this idiot will do it again.
I have read about enduros from the factory having binding from over torquing. It’s probably a good idea just to check anyways. Glad they have an exploded view on this one! Had to search for an old stumpy one for the SL.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Couple questions:

1) Anyone have intel on when framesets might show up? Got an S5 on order and looks like Spesh’s database just shows “more than 45 days out”.

2) Thoughts on over forking to 180mm? Have a pretty new 180mm Zeb I’ve been loving on my Enduro that I’m leaning toward swapping over to KSL.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Couple questions:
2) Thoughts on over forking to 180mm? Have a pretty new 180mm Zeb I’ve been loving on my Enduro that I’m leaning toward swapping over to KSL.

I bet you’d enjoy it.
Im sure you’re thinking of running it with the low setting on the Horst link.
Are you going to play with offset headset cups too?
If you don’t like it, for any reason, air springs are cheap and an easy install. ;)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Couple questions:

1) Anyone have intel on when framesets might show up? Got an S5 on order and looks like Spesh’s database just shows “more than 45 days out”.

I’m running 180 front and 65 mm stroke on the rear and have it set up high in the rear and middle setting at the headset cup and it’s riding pretty sweet.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I’m running 180 front and 65 mm stroke on the rear and have it set up high in the rear and middle setting at the headset cup and it’s riding pretty sweet.
Have you measure the bb height and HTA? Just curious what that would do to the geo. Probably ~ 63.5 is and 360mm?

Just looking at the geo calc.. seems like headcup in "slack" and bb in "high" could be an interesting setup. 63.2 HTA, steeper STA at 76.7 and shorter chainstays (all compared to stock). Could be a bit more playful on the steeps and climb a tad easier (though neither of those areas are complaints with the stock setup). May have to try that at some point soon

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I bet you’d enjoy it.
Im sure you’re thinking of running it with the low setting on the Horst link.
Are you going to play with offset headset cups too?
If you don’t like it, for any reason, air springs are cheap and an easy install. ;)

Have my Enduro with 180mm up front in high setting otherwise pedal strikes are an issue.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

Great to hear! Yeah, high/middle was my guess on setup with the 180mm fork. What shock are you running at 65mm? Will likely put an EXT on the KSL once my bank account begins it’s recovery… Arma on my Enduro is unbelievable.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Have my Enduro with 180mm up front in high setting otherwise pedal strikes are an issue.

I am running the stock settings of Low pivot and Mid head angle and have noticed pedal strikes on the last few rides.
Now when it comes to running a 180mm fork, you're raising your BB height, no? - But moving your weight slightly back in riding position.. so it that why my assumption is wrong? - That low would be ok for a 10mm raise on the front end?

Just thinking out load ;)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Have you measure the bb height and HTA? Just curious what that would do to the geo. Probably ~ 63.5 is and 360mm?

Just looking at the geo calc.. seems like headcup in "slack" and bb in "high" could be an interesting setup. 63.2 HTA, steeper STA at 76.7 and shorter chainstays (all compared to stock). Could be a bit more playful on the steeps and climb a tad easier (though neither of those areas are complaints with the stock setup). May have to try that at some point soon
Using my iphone level it says 63.8 and my angle level roughly around 63.5. I calibrated the phone on different surfaces multiple times and it came back with the same reading. The 180mm Ohlins dual crown is 10mm shorter axel to crown than the stock 170mm Fox fork.
I haven’t had enough time to play with the settings yet but the short bike park ride I did I got a couple pedal strikes so I lifted it, seems good now. Once I get a few more rides in I’ll play with the settings a bit more, I may add 10mm to the front end.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Great to hear! Yeah, high/middle was my guess on setup with the 180mm fork. What shock are you running at 65mm? Will likely put an EXT on the KSL once my bank account begins it’s recovery… Arma on my Enduro is unbelievable.
I’m running Ohlins TTX air 2.
My brother runs EXT Arma and Era on his ff Kenevo and swears by it.

Snoman

Apr 13, 2021
British Columbia
I’m running Ohlins TTX air 2.
My brother runs EXT Arma and Era on his ff Kenevo and swears by it.

He must have deep pockets for that bling!

I have OH:LINS RXF36 coil for the front and TTX Coil for the rear ... transplanting from my Rocky Slayer when the KSL arrives. Glad to here that 230x65 is not an issue to run :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
He must have deep pockets for that bling!

I have OH:LINS RXF36 coil for the front and TTX Coil for the rear ... transplanting from my Rocky Slayer when the KSL arrives. Glad to here that 230x65 is not an issue to run :)
We work hard to play hard!

Yeah 65mm stroke has plenty room, could probably go more but am happy with the rear end @177mm travel. It works so good that it feels like more travel anyway.

Make sure you throw up some pics of your set up when it’s done!

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
We work hard to play hard!

Yeah 65mm stroke has plenty room, could probably go more but am happy with the rear end @177mm travel. It works so good that it feels like more travel anyway.

Make sure you throw up some pics of your set up when it’s done!

EXT rear shocks are $1,000 us, but come with 2 springs and custom valving. Fox DHX2 + 2x SLS springs is $900 us (and based on my experience will last about a week :)

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Picked up an S4 KSL and in the process of setting it up. Did a few rough measurements which might explain the pedal strikes some are mentioning here.
With the rear in low and the fork in the mid setting the BB height is approx 335mm. This is loowww.
I changed the rear to high which brought it up to approx 347mm then finally changed the fork to the steep option and ended up with a 350mm BB height.
Putting the fork in the steep setting also reduced the front centre by about 10mm.
I'll start here, see how it feels and adjust as necessary.
230psi in the shock for 18mm shock sag but will check the wheel travel sag to confirm actual %.
100psi in the fork with one token.

:cool:Stoked to have found one! So looking forward to the first ride

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Picked up an S4 KSL…

With the rear in low and the fork in the mid setting the BB height is approx 335mm. This is loowww.
I changed the rear to high which brought it up to approx 347mm then finally changed the fork to the steep option and ended up with a 350mm BB height.
Putting the fork in the steep setting also reduced the front centre by about 10mm.
I'll start here, see how it feels and adjust as necessary.

First off, congrats on scoring the new bike.
I love the KSL so far.

I’m about to head out to the garage and change the low to high.
I’m going to leave the mid setting on the head angle and see how it rides tomorrow.
I do really like the flow trails with the low setting. Berms have been fun! But tech climbs have been noticeable with strikes.

I also still want try a mixed wheel setup - even if just for a day on flow trails ;)

Enjoy the new bike!

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Put a RideWrap kit on. Relatively painless process, took about 90mins and I'm really happy with the end result. Found it easier to handle than Invisiframe and the RideWrap coverage is better too. Bike is good to go!
Fork at 100psi with 1 token feels supple but definitely less mid stroke than my Mezzer set up. First trail ride will reveal what needs to happen with that.
The shock has 230psi and today I had a friend help with measuring (hopefully it's more accurate than bending down and resetting the o ring) and I got a wheel travel sag figure of 50mm which is 29%. Good starting point.
FYI the o ring had moved 15mm on the shock so either I moved it slightly when I measured it initially myself (I got 18mm) and/or the geo changes have had that effect.
I'm 88kg (197lbs)btw.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Put a RideWrap kit on. Relatively painless process, took about 90mins and I'm really happy with the end result. Found it easier to handle than Invisiframe and the RideWrap coverage is better too. Bike is good to go!
Fork at 100psi with 1 token feels supple but definitely less mid stroke than my Mezzer set up. First trail ride will reveal what needs to happen with that.
The shock has 230psi and today I had a friend help with measuring (hopefully it's more accurate than bending down and resetting the o ring) and I got a wheel travel sag figure of 50mm which is 29%. Good starting point.
FYI the o ring had moved 15mm on the shock so either I moved it slightly when I measured it initially myself (I got 18mm) and/or the geo changes have had that effect.
I'm 88kg (197lbs)btw.
I need to get ride wrap before I scratch this frame.

I have liked the 38 so far vs. the Mezzer. It's noticeably more supple off the top and a bit more progressive. I miss the linearity of the Mezzer ( i had it setup ~ 1.5 ratio IRT/Main if i recall), and the soft HBO feel, but I can't say the 38 is lacking too much midstroke. It could just be how I preferred my mezzer to feel, but I may still swap that over to get some back to back impressions. How were you running your mezzer pressure-wise, and on what bike?

BTW the bleeder valves on the 38 are awesome if you change elevation much. In the mountains last weekend, it made a noticeable difference when I released the trapped air on the trail.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I know it's objective but, at 6'2" or 188cm is it better a s4 or S5? I cant demo anywhere nearby before buy it online.

Thanks
What size bikes (reach, stack, etc) have you preferred in the past? I am 6'1" and on the S4. It feels amazing, but I did go down to 45mm stem, which actually made a difference in fit.

For reference, I also have a 497mm reach w/35mm stem Paradox v3 which has a pretty darn high stack at 669mm ( granted it's a hardtail so that number is a bit relative) - and the s4 KSL feels bigger sitting or standing. Compared to my XL Levo SL - the seated fit feels more compact on the KSL (in a good way) and standing feels slightly larger on the KSL.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles