Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Also check the teeth on the rear cassette, I had a rock slip in and bend the teeth one time and it done exactly what you were describing.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
I do get some ‘knocking’ or ‘creaking’ from the motor whenever I try to set off in a high gear on trail or turbo mode. Could be that that you are experiencing?

Doesn’t matter how little pressure I apply to the pedals to get it going, it makes this sound and what could be described as a ‘slipping’ sensation.

Doesn’t happen if i treat it nicely and start in eco mode or a low gear. My motor otherwise is quiet and feels very healthy to me.

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
As @Christian says, you could try swapping the mounts around to move it in further ?

The motor should definitely not slip !! at all .. There's a tiny possibility the belt tension was set incorrectly, so then it could slip, but it would probably chew the belt up and then it would be slipping all the time. Lets hope it's just an alignment issue on the drive end.

Great picture !!!! He's a bit of a natural then !!!
I will try to swap the mounts around - i don't need super fast access to the dropper lever..
And yes, son's a natural so paternity test to follow.

Thank you for both for the thoughts...

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I been getting mad about a creaking when pedaling ( now it happens also in downhill )

- it happens every time I pedal hard , does not matter if I'm seated or not
- I can reproduce it just applying some force to the tire sideways and holding the frame with the other hand
- after many tests I swear it comes for the the upper shock bolt
- they check the bushings and they are fine

Anyone experienced something similar ?

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
Using Thule Easyfold XT3. Travelling 6000 km with two bikes and second trip was 2500 km with 3 emtb's
Sorry - very late to this. Does the Easyfold fit the wheel base of the Kenevo Expert? I thought i saw a review that said it didn't.....

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
I been getting mad about a creaking when pedaling ( now it happens also in downhill )

- it happens every time I pedal hard , does not matter if I'm seated or not
- I can reproduce it just applying some force to the tire sideways and holding the frame with the other hand
- after many tests I swear it comes for the the upper shock bolt
- they check the bushings and they are fine

Anyone experienced something similar ?
Second ride and I've got an annoying creaking popping coming from the front of the bike. When leaning or turning I can make it happen. No idea where its coming from.

Any ideas what can creak on front of bike? Creaking only happens when weight on bike

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry - very late to this. Does the Easyfold fit the wheel base of the Kenevo Expert? I thought i saw a review that said it didn't.....
If the wheelbase is same as in Comp, it fits. I bought on pair of XL Fat bike straps, now it very easy to tighten the straps.
But normally still using original straps.

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
If the wheelbase is same as in Comp, it fits. I bought on pair of XL Fat bike straps, now it very easy to tighten the straps.
But normally still using original straps.
Both the 2020 Expert and Comp in S3 size have a 1263mm wheelbase, so unless you have the S2 i think i'm good!

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Both the 2020 Expert and Comp in S3 size have a 1263mm wheelbase, so unless you have the S2 i think i'm good!

You can fit an S4 with the original straps but is a tigh fit, I had fitted an XL strap ( The ones sold for fatbikes ) my self for the front wheel and is perfect now

FredD

Jun 7, 2020
London
You can fit an S4 with the original straps but is a tigh fit, I had fitted an XL strap ( The ones sold for fatbikes ) my self for the front wheel and is perfect now
so my S3 is 30mm shorter than the S4 - do you think it will still be better with the XL strap?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
so my S3 is 30mm shorter than the S4 - do you think it will still be better with the XL strap?

Is just a matter of easiness, with the XL straps you can place the bike a little forward or backward without an issue , with the original ones the bike must be perfectly center or one strap will not close .

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
C
Second ride and I've got an annoying creaking popping coming from the front of the bike. When leaning or turning I can make it happen. No idea where its coming from.

Any ideas what can creak on front of bike? Creaking only happens when weight on bike
Hey mate, check the bearing race on the Front fork. There were a few of them splitting and causing a similar sound. My brother and I ran cane creek bearing races and solved that problem.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
C

Hey mate, check the bearing race on the Front fork. There were a few of them splitting and causing a similar sound. My brother and I ran cane creek bearing races and solved that problem.
Easy to fit or is this a take whole front end apart with special tools?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Easy to fit or is this a take whole front end apart with special tools?

I took out the old one with an screwdriver ( this is the good part about an spliced race crown ) then I use a plastic pipe ( a piece that I had on the garage from the sink I believe ) and a hammer to fit the new one .

Didn't resolve my creaking anyhow ... mine seems to come from the shock or the pivot

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Unbolt the head stem and fork drops out. Check top of crown to see if it has a second split (Standard one has a split)
Cane creek crown race is a nice upgrade.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
C

Turns out it was the wheel axle. I didn't realise on this version you tighten both sides and because I have to remove wheel to transport it was creaking. Took whole front end apart for 1 screw lol.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahah yeah that’ll do it. I don’t have that problem so I didn’t even consider it.
Glad you found the source.

Nikolaos Tsivis

Oct 19, 2019
Greece
Good day all!

An update from my side after a couple more months riding the Kenevo 2020. Owning it since November 2019.

End of April 2020 the motor started to get noisy, to my ears, bearings were toast... Beginning of May 2020, the motor died.

A new motor was installed on the bike under warranty, no extra costs occurred. The bike stayed 3 weeks in the workshop though waiting for the spare parts to arrive. In the meantime, the bike shop gave me a replacement bike, a Stumpjumper Carbon 2020 Comp.

A few notes:

1. When I got the Stumpy and started ridding analogue, I realized that I was much stronger compared to my pre-Kenevo time. People think that riding an e-bike will make you lazy and soft, in my experience this is wrong. More riding will just get you a much stronger and better rider. Within 2021, if possible, I will buy a conventional analogue bike, probably a Stumpjumper EVO 27.5, it should be a perfect match to my Kenevo.

2. Once I got my Kenevo back, it was perfect, such a nice bike. Still the best bike I have ever owned.

3. I have ordered a GRIP2 damper to upgrade the Marzocchi Z1 fork. This will be the last upgrade on this bike. From now on, only consumables will be purchased in order to keep the bike running smooth. Will report back on impressions once I put a few hundred kms on it.

4. The Maxxis Assegai DH MaxxGrip tyres I use are fantastic. The problem is that the rear tyre is wearing out very very fast, I need to find something else for the rear end.

5. The EX1 chain broke suddenly during a ride, I am now using a cheap KMC 10 speed without problems. I will be buying a couple EX1s to start rotation though.

6. Brake pads wear off fast... I ordered 4 sets sintered from SRAM, will report once I put a few kms on.

A question in case any one knows:

Are there available Bolt Kits and a Bearing Kits for the 2020 Kenevo? I can only find pre 2019 bike repair kits... If anyone can post a link, it would be great.

Best regards,

Nikolaos Tsivis

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Reactions: CjP

robwormald

May 16, 2020
Santa Cruz Mountains
I was hoping they would make it so you can just fit it on the GX 11 speed given its digital it shouldnt be hard but knowing these companies rip off tactics they will probably force me to go eagle. I might wait for the cheaper versions to land.

Are you considering the 2.1 charger damper? Its an upgrade that actually might improve the performance of the bike :D

I have a set of Fox 40s on the way to improve that particular component ?

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
I have a set of Fox 40s on the way to improve that particular component
Nice.

Given the value of that bike I dont even think my home insurance would cover it after all those upgrades lol.

I wonder how the extra travel will affect handling?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Nice.

Given the value of that bike I dont even think my home insurance would cover it after all those upgrades lol.

The extra travel just makes it more fun. Let’s face it, a Kenevo was made to go down fast. The fact you can climb just about anything with it is awesome!

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I'm running myself the boxxer on 200 and the bike just got better on downhill and I can barely notice the change on uphill

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

robwormald

May 16, 2020
Santa Cruz Mountains
Nice.

Fox is tweaking them to 180mm for me (with a different air spring I believe) so geometry shouldn’t change much. I’ll do a full review once they’re in!

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Fox is tweaking them to 180mm for me (with a different air spring I believe) so geometry shouldn’t change much. I’ll do a full review once they’re in!
They are nice forks. I really like the grip 2.

Personally I'm just going to do the 2.1 damper.

Most upgrades on bikes offer very marginal performance increases these days.

The most noticable thing for me was moving to coil shock bike.

Andrewsu

Jun 19, 2020
New Zealand
Sorry to bring an old topic up. It seemed stop still up in the air.
The 1mm gap under the head set. I just got a new keveno and have the gap. Seems most bikes have it.
Am thinking of putting some plumbers tape around when washing the bike.
Is the gap an issue?
Thx

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles