Levo Gen 2 Not heard this one before.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi all. I posted yesterday about my levo not turning on. Someone suggested what i thought would be the problem. faulty power cable as it is the original sure enough the cable was cracked on the rubber near the motor connector plug. So i called spesh concept store where i bought the bike and told them my problem they said they would look on my mission control and call me back. On the return call they told me motor is broken and would need replacing. I could understand it being the motor if id noticed any problems strange noises ect but its been totally fine even on my last ride and could they tell if the motor is broken just from checking mission control?
Would be grateful of peoples opinions on this.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I suspect they are clueless!! Beg borrow or steal a replacement cable, fit it and prove them wrong.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
If you can get a new motor under warranty, I'd do it! ;)
Well yes you’re right and I will be doing so. It’s just the how long am I going to be without my bike and I’m no electric motor expert but I’m 99% certain that a new cable would fix it.

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
I've just had exactly this with my bike - This was on a replacement motor that has been out once and the bike would not start up second time. I am just waiting for a new harness to be sent so i can fit it as i am certain this is the issue. The connector boot that attached the Battery to the Motor was split and there was moisture in it. Also the cable was kinked badly. If i wiggled it the bike powered up. Easy to take the non drive side crank off and motor housing and have a look though

If you took the bike into the shop they could fit one in 2 mins and its a warranty issue i understand. Otherwise they are £85 !!!

There is guidance from Spesh to replace the early ones even if they are not damaged. If they want to fit a motor and it wont take ages then i would go for it :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I'd ask them to replace the cable first and see if that sorts the issue. Hopefully it will be just that if you've not had any motor issues. That should take a few minutes may well get you riding again. I asked them to change the power cable at the free check at the concept store, and they did under warranty as it's a known issue.

From your location, we probably use the same concept store, they are normally quite good and reasonable.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Think I’ve got a spare cable laying around somewhere, its brand new never used make me a offer if you like and I’ll see if I can find it

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
I'd ask them to replace the cable first and see if that sorts the issue. Hopefully it will be just that if you've not had any motor issues. That should take a few minutes may well get you riding again. I asked them to change the power cable at the free check at the concept store, and they did under warranty as it's a known issue.

From your location, we probably use the same concept store, they are normally quite good and reasonable.
Thanks for your reply's guys. So it sounds like your all thinking the same as me that a new cable will sort the job as the one i have is the original and it is cracked on the rubber connector part like everyone ells. I just cant understand why they wouldn't just send me a new cable to try before a motor swap and how could they tell IF the motor is dead just from looking on my mission control. I'm thinking are they just trying to get all the old motors swapped as soon as there's any issue.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I did ask them to send me a cable, but they wouldn't saying they had to fit it as part of the warranty. After they had fitted it, I asked for the old cable as there was no issue with it, but no to that too, they said it had to go back to Spesh.

I was a bit annoyed at the time, but as I've not had any issues since, I'm a happy bunny.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
I did ask them to send me a cable, but they wouldn't saying they had to fit it as part of the warranty. After they had fitted it, I asked for the old cable as there was no issue with it, but no to that too, they said it had to go back to Spesh.

I was a bit annoyed at the time, but as I've not had any issues since, I'm a happy bunny.
Yes that is annoying for the sake of a two minute job. Looking like i'm just going to have to wait. Not happy i just want to ride my bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am assuming the age of your bike/motor means it has a 4 year warranty from your original purchase date? If so, and you are convinced the cable is the source of your problem why risk having a bike shop that seems reluctant to do the obvious simple cable change, do a complete motor change with the added complications that can cause if they do not do it right...and there have been plenty of examples of that!
In your place I would take a few photos of the cable and email them to your bike shop requesting a replacement under warranty....and meanwhile repair * your existing cable....and go ride!!

* if your problem is a short caused by water ingress into the split cap, carefully cut away the damaged section of the cap. Then strip the outer sheath back to a bout halfway along the cable. Then wrap the now exposed section of cable in amalgamating tape and finish with a layer of insulating tape. Put the cable somewhere warm to ensure any damp that has gone via the crack into the remainder of the d cap. You now have a fully sealed cable and with enough flex not put excess strain on the motor end cap and it is close to the design of the replacement cable. Its a repair that takes no longer than 30 mins plus a night in the airing cupboard......= no time off the bike!!

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
While your motor may sound fine, they may see something that is a known issue. I'd take them up on the motor if the install time is short. Hopefully you'll get the updated motor without issues.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Speak to them and ask that they get the motor in stock and then book you in to have it fitted

Other option is go to somewhere else where they know these bikes inside out (Specialized concept stores are a bit hit and miss with e bikes)

Chris Reilly @Berkshire cycles carries motors and all other parts in stock with same day fitting whilst you wait, not sure where you are but he is well worth a visit

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
I am assuming the age of your bike/motor means it has a 4 year warranty from your original purchase date? If so, and you are convinced the cable is the source of your problem why risk having a bike shop that seems reluctant to do the obvious simple cable change, do a complete motor change with the added complications that can cause if they do not do it right...and there have been plenty of examples of that!
In your place I would take a few photos of the cable and email them to your bike shop requesting a replacement under warranty....and meanwhile repair * your existing cable....and go ride!!

* if your problem is a short caused by water ingress into the split cap, carefully cut away the damaged section of the cap. Then strip the outer sheath back to a bout halfway along the cable. Then wrap the now exposed section of cable in amalgamating tape and finish with a layer of insulating tape. Put the cable somewhere warm to ensure any damp that has gone via the crack into the remainder of the d cap. You now have a fully sealed cable and with enough flex not put excess strain on the motor end cap and it is close to the design of the replacement cable. Its a repair that takes no longer than 30 mins plus a night in the airing cupboard......= no time off the bike!!
Thank you for your tip for repairing the cable sounds easy enough and I bet it would work. My only concern about doing it is when the bike goes in for the warranty work would they void the warranty because iv “modified” the wire ?

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
Hi all. I posted yesterday about my levo not turning on. Someone suggested what i thought would be the problem. faulty power cable as it is the original sure enough the cable was cracked on the rubber near the motor connector plug. So i called spesh concept store where i bought the bike and told them my problem they said they would look on my mission control and call me back. On the return call they told me motor is broken and would need replacing. I could understand it being the motor if id noticed any problems strange noises ect but its been totally fine even on my last ride and could they tell if the motor is broken just from checking mission control?
Adam, my 2019 did the same thing, just wouldn't turn on one morning (it's almost always fully charged, never below 4 bars if not) so I took it to my LBS who kept it overnight and called and told me it just started working. I was glad and picked it up and rode it for a month or so and it died while riding. A noisy, screeching death. My wife was with me on her Levo and rode behind me as I walked the bike home.

I took it to my LBS who again called the next day to tell me it needed a (free) motor replacement. I was not surprised and gladly took it, along with an extended warranty from the date of replacement. I would take that option based on what my experience has been. I've had no problems since (knock on wood).

Will
www.centralcoastbikes.com

Ben Turbo

Aug 2, 2020
NL
I had this problem to. This photo is when the bike was 3 weeks old.
Went back to the store and it worked fine.... grrr.

About 1 week later again no power, this problem came up after cleaning.
So i removed the cover and used my aircompressor. And the bike worked fine.

Afther reading this forum i discovered that more bikes had this problem and asked my dealer to replace the powercable.

With the new cable it is solved. 700 km since the new cable is installed with no issues.

IMG-20200821-WA0006.jpg

The Syndrome

Oct 18, 2020
Cardiff

Had the same with my 2020 Levo. It was only 3 months old. I took it back to the concept store and gave them the opportunity to fix it. They said that it was water ingress (according to the error code). I do not understand how this is possible from washing a bike with hot water and hose (no jet wash) as recommended on the Spesh website. Anyway they managed to get it working. It lasted one ride until the next wash. I took it back to the concept store (while Steve Jones was filming there for EMBN actually) and the gave me my money back no questions asked. Have since ordered a 2021 Kenevo Comp.

If your bike is less than six months old, you can follow the consumer goods act 2015. Basically, you have to give the store 1 opportunity to fix it in a reasonable amount of time (1 month was suggested to me by citizens advice), if it is not repaired or the fault occurs again, you are entitled to all your money back or a replacement, irrespective of manufacturers warranty and irrespective of the condition of the bike (wear and tear).

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK

That's crazy.
Specialized Concept Store sent me the latest power cable as a warranty replacement for my 2020 levo after I sent them a photo of the bike, the serial and a copy of the invoice.
I fitted it myself and I still have the old cable in my tool box just in case.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
That's crazy.
Specialized Concept Store sent me the latest power cable as a warranty replacement for my 2020 levo after I sent them a photo of the bike, the serial and a copy of the invoice.
Which concept store was that please? Might give them a call.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
Had the same with my 2020 Levo. It was only 3 months old. I took it back to the concept store and gave them the opportunity to fix it. They said that it was water ingress (according to the error code). I do not understand how this is possible from washing a bike with hot water and hose (no jet wash) as recommended on the Spesh website. Anyway they managed to get it working. It lasted one ride until the next wash. I took it back to the concept store (while Steve Jones was filming there for EMBN actually) and the gave me my money back no questions asked. Have since ordered a 2021 Kenevo Comp.

If your bike is less than six months old, you can follow the consumer goods act 2015. Basically, you have to give the store 1 opportunity to fix it in a reasonable amount of time (1 month was suggested to me by citizens advice), if it is not repaired or the fault occurs again, you are entitled to all your money back or a replacement, irrespective of manufacturers warranty and irrespective of the condition of the bike (wear and tear).
It’s a shame that they have this water ingress problem. Best bike iv ever owned but if you can’t ride it it’s a bloody expensive ornament.

The Syndrome

Oct 18, 2020
Cardiff
It’s a shame that they have this water ingress problem. Best bike iv ever owned but if you can’t ride it it’s a bloody expensive ornament.

Yeah, a bit gutted, especially as I have to wait till the end of the month for the Kenevo, which might get the same issues that the Levo had! To be fair, Specialized Concept store were brilliant with regards to customer service, no argument, just a pain as they are an hour away from me so taking a bike back and forth would have ultimately been an issue long term. Thought I would mention the Consumer Goods Act 2015 cos there are many that do not know about their rights.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
That's crazy.

It is crazy, but there was no talking them into sending one or letting me have the original. I really wanted it just in case.

If I had it done now, it would be different as I could argue others have had the sent.

Adam29

Jun 9, 2020
Derbyshire
Yeah, a bit gutted, especially as I have to wait till the end of the month for the Kenevo, which might get the same issues that the Levo had! To be fair, Specialized Concept store were brilliant with regards to customer service, no argument, just a pain as they are an hour away from me so taking a bike back and forth would have ultimately been an issue long term. Thought I would mention the Consumer Goods Act 2015 cos there are many that do not know about their rights.
Yes thanks that’s good to know about the consumer goods Act unfortunately I got my bike in January so couldn’t send it back. Unless specialized up there reliability game I’m not sure I’d have another and that’s a shame in a way because it rides SO good

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had this problem to. This photo is when the bike was 3 weeks old.
Went back to the store and it worked fine.... grrr.

About 1 week later again no power, this problem came up after cleaning.
So i removed the cover and used my aircompressor. And the bike worked fine.

Afther reading this forum i discovered that more bikes had this problem and asked my dealer to replace the powercable.

With the new cable it is solved. 700 km since the new cable is installed with no issues.

View attachment 43799
All of this has been covered before if you search the forum but since there is now a fresh batch of people with the issue, the a bove picture is the older style power cable. If you have that cable you are likely to get problems sooner or later. The issue is that the "loop" in the cable puts too much pressure on the "D" cap connector going into the motor because it is is too stiff. It vibrates when the bike is moving over rough ground and eventually cracks open that "D " cap. Usually the wires inside the outer casing going into the cap are undamaged but the only seal preventing water ingress into the connectors within the cap is between the very edge of the cap and the black outer sheath of the cable. As you can see from the picture, any crack in the " D " cap therefore allows water ingress and that creates a short across the pos and neg wires. The replacement cable has the outer sheath removed for a little more than 50% of its length so its can flex without straining the cap. It is also routed differently ( details on the other thread if you look it up). As I have said before the cable is easy to repair as a temporary fix or modify as a permanent fix. Certainly if you merely effect a repair to keep you riding whilst you apply for a replacement no one in Spesh is going to accuse you of meddling. If your cable is in this state and you wash the bike water will run down the cable from the battery connection and cause the short or go through between the cover and the motor. The cavity between the motor and the cover in this pic is clean. I have seen other full of debris from the trail because the cavity at the rear of the motor has not been protected. That debris gets wet and again the wires within the broken D cap get shorted out.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All of this has been covered before if you search the forum but since there is now a fresh batch of people with the issue, the a bove picture is the older style power cable. If you have that cable you are likely to get problems sooner or later. The issue is that the "loop" in the cable puts too much pressure on the "D" cap connector going into the motor because it is is too stiff. It vibrates when the bike is moving over rough ground and eventually cracks open that "D " cap. Usually the wires inside the outer casing going into the cap are undamaged but the only seal preventing water ingress into the connectors within the cap is between the very edge of the cap and the black outer sheath of the cable. As you can see from the picture, any crack in the " D " cap therefore allows water ingress and that creates a short across the pos and neg wires. The replacement cable has the outer sheath removed for a little more than 50% of its length so its can flex without straining the cap. It is also routed differently ( details on the other thread if you look it up). As I have said before the cable is easy to repair as a temporary fix or modify as a permanent fix. Certainly if you merely effect a repair to keep you riding whilst you apply for a replacement no one in Spesh is going to accuse you of meddling. If your cable is in this state and you wash the bike water will run down the cable from the battery connection and cause the short or go through between the cover and the motor. The cavity between the motor and the cover in this pic is clean. I have seen other full of debris from the trail because the cavity at the rear of the motor has not been protected. That debris gets wet and again the wires within the broken D cap get shorted out.
I forgot to add, the new cable was available from about January 2020 so if you bike was built prior to that it is likely to have the old cable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles