No E-Caliber love?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I've meet you a couple of times. I joined the Miata club when my wife got a 2016. I went to a few meeting and had lunch with you and your wife at your house. Also, I've run into you a few times at Rose. I was a kayak rep for 20 years. At any rate, I bought my first EMTB two years ago and I'm totally addicted.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I've meet you a couple of times. I joined the Miata club when my wife got a 2016. I went to a few meeting and had lunch with you and your wife at your house. Also, I've run into you a few times at Rose. I was a kayak rep for 20 years. At any rate, I bought my first EMTB two years ago and I'm totally addicted.
Coincidently we sold our last Miata 3 years ago and bought mountain bikes so we'd get more excercise.
We should get together to ridE.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
If you still have my number call...or shoot me a PM here.

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
Buenas tardes, desde Marzo que compré una Trek E Caliber 9.6 puedo decir que muy contento con la bici y eso que ya desde el mes de comprarla me dió 2 problema, la tija telescópica que hacía ruido y a fecha de hoy no me la enviaron desde Trek por falta de stock, y el sistema Fazua.. después de dos cambios del Bottom Bracket ya parece que todo va perfectamente. Supongo que sería un fallo puntual pues en mi anterior bici Focus Raven con Fazua 0 fallos.
Ahora solo me queda actualizar el software pero según me dijeron los técnicos de Fazua me recomendó que me esperara a la nueva actualización que están subsanando los problemas de la actualidad.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For the none Spanish Speaking amongst you ..

Good afternoon, since March I bought a Trek E Caliber 9.6 I can say that I am very happy with the bike and that since the month of buying it gave me 2 problems, the telescopic seatpost that made noise and as of today they did not send it to me from Trek due to lack of stock, and the Fazua system ... after two changes of the Bottom Bracket it seems that everything is going perfectly. I guess it would be a specific failure because on my previous Focus Raven bike with Fazua 0 failures. Now I only have to update the software, but according to what the Fazua technicians told me, he recommended that I wait for the new update that is correcting the current problems.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I hope it is solved quickly and you can enjoy the E caliber
Thanks. I've been enjoying it a lot but also have had to make many adjustments and not climb things that are too steep.
Hopefully this will get it resolved so I can take it anywhere I want.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I hope it is solved quickly and you can enjoy the E caliber
I have three rides since getting my bike back from the shop.
The customized configuration that the Fazua NA and the sthop tech set up for me are working much better than anything else I had been trying.
I still have a few minor drops in assist, but nothing like before and I'm hoping that a firmware fix is coming soon.

All in all, even with these firmware issues I have more than twice the miles on this bike this season than I had on my previous bike all season long.
Gratuitous trail photo.
5DA64337-8420-41E3-A872-FB55CF97C64D.JPG

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
Update:
I have not ridden in three weeks for a variety of reasons.
We had wildifire smoke here that made it unhealthy to do much of anything outdoors.
I was traveling for a vacation to Alaska nearly two weeks
Had business travel for a little less than a week.

During that time I have heard from Fazua NA about a possible solution for the issues with the inconsistent power on climbs.
It seams that the bike manufacturer has a sensor that may not be working in sync with the Fazua drive pack. (I will have a detailed explanation when I know more)
Having just returned home today I am waiting for a part and will see if this fixes the issue.

I would like to reiterate that, though I've had some issues wtih this system, I have been really happy with the way that both Trek and Fazua have been communicating with me, especially during the past few weeks when I've been traveling.

Its really good to be home. Now, if the smoke clears, maybe I'll ride.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Update:
I have not ridden in three weeks for a variety of reasons.
We had wildifire smoke here that made it unhealthy to do much of anything outdoors.
I was traveling for a vacation to Alaska nearly two weeks
Had business travel for a little less than a week.

During that time I have heard from Fazua NA about a possible solution for the issues with the inconsistent power on climbs.
It seams that the bike manufacturer has a sensor that may not be working in sync with the Fazua drive pack. (I will have a detailed explanation when I know more)
Having just returned home today I am waiting for a part and will see if this fixes the issue.

I would like to reiterate that, though I've had some issues wtih this system, I have been really happy with the way that both Trek and Fazua have been communicating with me, especially during the past few weeks when I've been traveling.

Its really good to be home. Now, if the smoke clears, maybe I'll ride.

What's the part you're waiting on?

Gordon

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
What's the part you're waiting on?

Gordon
Fazua NA is saying that it may(emphasis on "may") be the position of the magnet sensor which could be giving the drive pack some inconsistent information. They are sending me a 6-bolt magnet that will position the magnet just like the Domane centerlock rotor.

If this doesn't do the trick, we'll dig deeper on the trouble shooting.

Last edited:

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
Español

Inglés

On my e Caliber 9.6 I cut off the assistance before the corresponding speed, here in Europe it is 25 km / h. I realized when I put the fazua application on the Garmin that it marked more speed than the real one .. besides moments of marking 8 km / h and instantly 18 .. verified with the Garmin I realized that it marked 7 or 8 km / h of more .. according to fazua after sending them videos they tell me they don't know what it could be and they are investigating it..it is the first case. On Monday I will contact Fazua again.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
Español

Inglés

On my e Caliber 9.6 I cut off the assistance before the corresponding speed, here in Europe it is 25 km / h. I realized when I put the fazua application on the Garmin that it marked more speed than the real one .. besides moments of marking 8 km / h and instantly 18 .. verified with the Garmin I realized that it marked 7 or 8 km / h of more .. according to fazua after sending them videos they tell me they don't know what it could be and they are investigating it..it is the first case. On Monday I will contact Fazua again.
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're E-Caliber 9.6 is having issues with the power dropping out as you are riding.
If I'm correct in my understanding, then I can assure you that Fazua is aware of it and they are working with Trek to figure out why.
I am of the understanding that there are about 6 E-Caliber 9.6 with this issue that they are aware of.

I'm also confident that they are figuring it out and will have a fix for it soon.

As for the garmin connection. I don't use a garmin, but I also understand that the last firmware update had some bugs and they're working on a fix for the firmware

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're E-Caliber 9.6 is having issues with the power dropping out as you are riding.
If I'm correct in my understanding, then I can assure you that Fazua is aware of it and they are working with Trek to figure out why.
I am of the understanding that there are about 6 E-Caliber 9.6 with this issue that they are aware of.

I'm also confident that they are figuring it out and will have a fix for it soon.

As for the garmin connection. I don't use a garmin, but I also understand that the last firmware update had some bugs and they're working on a fix for the firmware
From the first month, everything was problems with my e Caliber ... now only this remains unsolved ... knowing that there are already more units with the same problem, partly better because it is not an isolated case. I sent an email to the technical service to see how they handle the issue ... but come on, it's a bummer that for 4 months that the bike has been on for three months, it has been giving problems without working well ... they should give us some compensation.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
From the first month, everything was problems with my e Caliber ... now only this remains unsolved ... knowing that there are already more units with the same problem, partly better because it is not an isolated case. I sent an email to the technical service to see how they handle the issue ... but come on, it's a bummer that for 4 months that the bike has been on for three months, it has been giving problems without working well ... they should give us some compensation.
While I understand your frustration, we bought an e-bike to have the assist, right??, I am not looking for compensation. I just want them to fix it so I can get on with my riding without the glitches, and I'm disappointed that they haven't fixed the firmware update.
If this were a big tech company, the firmware bug fix would have been rolled out a long time ago.

I am hopeful that the solution they are sending me with the sensor will fix it.

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
While I understand your frustration, we bought an e-bike to have the assist, right??, I am not looking for compensation. I just want them to fix it so I can get on with my riding without the glitches, and I'm disappointed that they haven't fixed the firmware update.
If this were a big tech company, the firmware bug fix would have been rolled out a long time ago.

I am hopeful that the solution they are sending me with the sensor will fix it.
Of course, the first thing is that they solve it ... but that they have been involved for so long with breakdowns is not their thing ... by the way, what solution did they give in Fazua of the sensor?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Fazua NA is saying that it may(emphasis on "may") be the position of the magnet sensor which could be giving the drive pack some inconsistent information. They are sending me a 6-bolt magnet that will position the magnet just like the Domane centerlock rotor.

If this doesn't do the trick, we'll dig deeper on the trouble shooting.

Ahhh.... My eZesty still has a spoke based magnet. This is why I don't seem to have this issue. I just line the magnet up and ride. The sensor is fairly picky about where it like the magnet to be though.

Gordon

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
Ahhh.... My eZesty still has a spoke based magnet. This is why I don't seem to have this issue. I just line the magnet up and ride. The sensor is fairly picky about where it like the magnet to be though.

Gordon
Here is a close up of where the sensor is on my bike
3CEFE2C9-F4D4-452B-9753-B17AF84F2B98.JPG

Here is a closer up of where it is when it passes the sensor.
I'm not totally convinced that this is all about the position of the sensor. Hmmmm.
DD699BFE-AE3E-41C3-A925-856013E9967E.JPG

Full disclosure, I have an upgrade in wheelset and brakes.
This was done at a Trek dealer so there is an assumption that it was done within spec
8CF84F9D-C6F9-47D4-88B1-4BAEBE261252.JPG
3228707B-730E-411D-B0CE-5ECD88DE211A.JPG

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
I also changed the brakes and discs..the wheels are the same, the sensor magnet when going screwdriver to the disc always maintains the same position..the only difference may be the thickness of the disc and that it varies some mm in approaching the sensor but within the same position..the sensor always detects it..other thing is that you separate it and it does not detect it but it is not the case .. the error has to be more of the sensor that reads data that does not correspond..in my The bike will mark you 8 to 16 in a second of difference and more speed than the real one.

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
Thanks for the information .. tomorrow I will change the position to verify if the error is solved and I will comment on it here.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
That's interesting and novel in the solution, might be applicable to some other bikes with similar issues .. Have you tried it ?

View attachment 68578
I have flipped it but haven't ridden. Not sure when I will be riding again as the wildfires just west of where we live have blown horrible smoke into the area.
Today the AQI index is between 160-200, unadvisable to do any kind of excercise outside.
:(

This fire is about 60 miles from where I live.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have flipped it but haven't ridden. Not sure when I will be riding again as the wildfires just west of where we live have blown horrible smoke into the area.
Today the AQI index is between 160-200, unadvisable to do any kind of excercise outside.
:(

This fire is about 60 miles from where I live.

Stay safe. We had monster fires here 8 months ago. Half a BILLION native animals estimated to have died.

Stay safe...

Gordon

ifcbikerpro

Jul 7, 2021
ES
I have already turned the magnet and tested, it already marks the real speed without offset, therefore it cuts the speed at its programmed speed. This weekend I will try 3n the mountain.
IMG_20210810_102141.jpg

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
Stay safe. We had monster fires here 8 months ago. Half a BILLION native animals estimated to have died.

Stay safe...

Gordon
Thank you. Though we aren't in any real risk of the fires, we are experiencing a lot of horrible air quality and long term issues if we excercise outside with it.
I miss my bike riding. :(

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Thank you. Though we aren't in any real risk of the fires, we are experiencing a lot of horrible air quality and long term issues if we excercise outside with it.
I miss my bike riding. :(
I’m interested in the e-caliber. Anyone ride it without the motor? How is it?

I love my gen-2 Bosch in my Trek Powerfly which I plan to keep. I have a few nice analog bikes but I was looking at this bike because of weight; although, I’m concerned about power. I had a 2019 Kenevo with a brose 1.2e that had 50 nm and found power to be perfectly fine even on the steepest climb. I did not notice the 1.2e to be much less power than the gen 2 Bosch at 75 nm.

My question… how is the “real world” power on the e-caliber? I’ve heard others here say they doubt it produces 55 nm. From my experience 50 nm from a brose 1.2e as plenty of power.

TriciaPug

Sep 17, 2020
Reno
I’m interested in the e-caliber. Anyone ride it without the motor? How is it?

I love my gen-2 Bosch in my Trek Powerfly which I plan to keep. I have a few nice analog bikes but I was looking at this bike because of weight; although, I’m concerned about power. I had a 2019 Kenevo with a brose 1.2e that had 50 nm and found power to be perfectly fine even on the steepest climb. I did not notice the 1.2e to be much less power than the gen 2 Bosch at 75 nm.

My question… how is the “real world” power on the e-caliber? I’ve heard others here say they doubt it produces 55 nm. From my experience 50 nm from a brose 1.2e as plenty of power.
I took a ride without the drive pack. It was surprisingly nice with no resistance.

There are times I miss the power of the Bosch but I really like the overall fit and nimbleness of the e-Cal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles