Nitros oxide being banned

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I carry some of them small containers of the stuff in case I have a puncture and need to blow up the tyre on the trail. Does this ban mean we won’t be able to get them anymore.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
CO2 is not toxic, it is part of the atmosphere at 0.04% (and rising), but it is not actually toxic, as in poisonous. At high levels (above 100x normal) it will suffocate you. That is also the level of CO2 in our breath that we exhale. But our breath will not suffocate someone else because it has 16.4% oxygen, not the 21% that went in. So there is enough to live on, which is why mouth to mouth resuscitation works.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
CO2 is not toxic, it is part of the atmosphere at 0.04% (and rising), but it is not actually toxic, as in poisonous. At high levels (above 100x normal) it will suffocate you. That is also the level of CO2 in our breath that we exhale. But our breath will not suffocate someone else because it has 16.4% oxygen, not the 21% that went in. So there is enough to live on, which is why mouth to mouth resuscitation works.
So everybody knows that by inhaling from a helium balloon, you can make your voice high pitched...

But one time, our college Physics professor wanted to show us that, CO2, being denser than air, would give the opposite affect... a deep voice.

Well, he inhaled just a bit too much and passed out. He decided after that to take that demonstration out of his program.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
CO is toxic, well it bonds permanently in your lungs making it impossible to breathe.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
CO2 is also toxic if it starts building up in the blood. As Steve states, too much will asphyxiate you but raised levels are toxic and cause various issues. BTW, O2 has silimilar toxicity in raised levels. Fortunately our atmosphere has them in quantities we can manage. Or put another way, life on our planet has evolved to cope with the atmosphere it was granted! 🤔

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Don’t use canisters myself cold burns etc
Got one of these. Big one has a gauge

rochrunner

Mar 30, 2020
Rochester Hills, MI, USA
My experience has been that CO2 tends to leak out of inner tubes faster than normal air. I know that when I've filled one with a cartridge, it is really down on pressure the next day much moreso than If I'd used a regular pump.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
CO is toxic, well it bonds permanently in your lungs making it impossible to breathe.
I agree that CO (carbon monoxide) is toxic, it binds to your red blood cells and you suffocate slowly as your blood cannot transport oxygen.
CO2 (carbon dioxide) is a different gas and although too much of it will kill you, it is not actually poisonous (at normal temperature and pressure).
I had to say that because someone correctly pointed out that O2 (oxygen) is poisonous under the correct circumstances. For example, pure oxygen is poisonous at higher pressure, as WW2 frogmen discovered when they dived too deeply with their O2 breathing apparatus. Below 32 feet depth if I recall correctly.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I agree that CO (carbon monoxide) is toxic, it binds to your red blood cells and you suffocate slowly as your blood cannot transport oxygen.
CO2 (carbon dioxide) is a different gas and although too much of it will kill you, it is not actually poisonous (at normal temperature and pressure).
I had to say that because someone correctly pointed out that O2 (oxygen) is poisonous under the correct circumstances. For example, pure oxygen is poisonous at higher pressure, as WW2 frogmen discovered when they dived too deeply with their O2 breathing apparatus. Below 32 feet depth if I recall correctly.

Instructions unclear, penis stuck in CO2 inflation canister. Am I doing it wrong?

I've had CO2 on my motorcycles and MTBs for decades, they can really pay off. But they are limited to what you can carry, as opposed to a pump which is unlimited. When I take the adventure motorcycle out in the boonies, I carry both CO2 and a tiny electric pump, because I could find myself WAY out there. For the MTB I mostly carry CO2, unless I'm going far out alone, then I have the manual pump too.

Nebo1ss

Dec 21, 2021
London
"CO2 is considered to be minimally toxic by inhalation. The primary health effects caused by CO2 are the result of its behavior as a simple asphyxiant. A simple asphyxiant is a gas which reduces or displaces the normal oxygen in breathing air. Symptoms of mild CO2 exposure may include headache and drowsiness."
Straight from your friendly Google search.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
CO2 can suffocate you at higher concentrations by displacing O2, but N2 can do that too (e.g. confined spaces). That is an unusual situation compared to every breath you take and the chemistry involved. It is especially relevant to cyclists.

Breathing is more than just getting O2 to your muscles, it helps remove CO2 from the blood. It’s important because of equilibrium reactions in the blood. CO2 reacts with water in the blood to form carbonic acid (H2CO3) and hydronium (H3O+), which acts as a buffer with bicarbonate (HCO3-) to maintain proper pH in the blood. Another equilibrium reaction between hydronium and O2 affects the release of O2 from hemoglobin into the muscles. Another important reaction in the blood involves lactate. Strenuous exercise generates lactic acid which lowers the pH in the blood. This is why Roglic and van Aert are using a "baking soda" supplement as a performance enhancer.

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
More generally (and off topic) - at the levels we have around the globe, CO2 is an entirely beneficial and indeed an essential gas - plants need it to grow, they expel oxygen in turn as part of the photosynthesis cycle. The idea of “reducing atmospheric carbon levels” is plain nuts, and unachievable anyway. Just ask Murray!

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Found the climate skeptic using the weak plant food argument and promoting the disgraced Dr. Salby who resigned form his tenured positioned at UC Boulder after being investigated by the NSF. Salby was then fired from Macquarie University for being a generally shitty professor, and not, "His views on climate science".

He did do some notable work on ozone depletion though. Fortunately, like a lot of old white guys, he is dead now.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I found the video absolutely fascinating. Has anyone disproved his science, rather than just disagreed with his conclusions? People can get sacked from their jobs for all sorts of reasons, especially when they disagree with the accepted view. They don't have to be "an old white guy", they can be anyone. Apart from Marie Curie, Florence Nightingale and many other women (also old, white and dead) the vast majority of good (still revered today) science was done by old (mostly, but not exclusively) white guys, now sadly all dead.

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Ad hominem attacks are usually seen as a weak response by those wishing to divert attention away from the veracity of ‘the message’. Fortunately, they tend to be seen for what they are.

Anyway, let’s laugh our way back to Nitrous oxide, lol!

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Ad hominem attacks are usually seen as a weak response by those wishing to divert attention away from the veracity of ‘the message’. Fortunately, they tend to be seen for what they are.

Yes but your boy Murry Salby there was actually disgraced in real life & therefore that is nothing like an ad hom attack as much as you would like to imply.

Salby was notorious for fiddling expenses, failing to turn up for teaching gigs and pinching gear from his employers, so if you're here as a climate change denier then you should really choose a more credible cheerleader lest people with the wherewithal to check these things show you up a bit eh?

And after all is said and done, you'll find this is a mountain biking site where this schtick self destructs before long. Nice knowing you.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA

As an almost old white guy who has taught geology and environmental science at the college/university level for several years I could easily dispute the veracity of Salby's message (propaganda), but it is beyond the scope of this forum. I would much rather talk about bikes to be honest.

I agree, let's get back to the nitrous, a potent greenhouse gas (~300 GWP). Damn, I said I was not going to talk about that. Fun fact, you can modify a CO2 inflator to open whippets by inserting a spacer from a hub axle to make up the difference in cartridge height.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
At least we can all agree on one thing. It would be completely stupid to think that humans are not at least 1% responsible for climate change, but also to think they are 100% responsible. It's equally outright stupid to think we can fully predict the unintended consequences of doing anything major to change it. The people calling for fast action on some things simply can't see the potential damage of quick changes.

I suppose suicide is an option, for some.

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Nobody is seriously suggesting that the climate does not change, that is self evident. It always has.
Nor am I here as what you term a ‘climate denier’. Believe what you want.
I’d respectfully suggest that it’s just not as clear cut it is being presented. A little from history:

4ACAF2D0-E772-4437-BC1E-596F93497C30.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles