Newbie thinking of changing hardtail to full suss

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So after purchasing my 1st ebike - Giant Fathom E3 2021 a few months ago think of changing to the Stance E+2 2021. Anyone have one pro's - Cons?
I have a hardtail and a full sus eMTB. I’m finding that I use the full suspension 90% of the time. I’m also throwing more upgrades at it too $$$.

Toastednuts

Mar 14, 2021
Devon, UK
I can only compare my previous experience of an analogue hard tail (Carrera Kraken 2015) with my current full sus ebike (Giant Full E+1), and the Giant really is much more comfortable. I honestly think if I had to give up either front or rear suspension, I'd opt to keep the rear. I ride mainly dirt trails (Haldon Forest) or muddy farm tracks (A-roads in Devon !!) and the rear suspension system on the Giant is sublime. My partner has a Cannondale Moterra that I don't think runs over the bumps quite as smoothly.

WJLAV1845

Mar 16, 2021
Northern Ireland
I bought the Giant Fathom E3 late last year on a wim and have absolutely loved it. The guys I ride with have full suss ebikes and watching them on some of the rougher trails compared to me on the hardtail - No comparison. Also has to be a lot easier on the knees!!!! Old age and all!!!

Riggs

Mar 17, 2021
Fife
First bike was a hard tail then moved onto a full sus and couldn't believe the difference suddenly stair sets were a breeze boulder fields no problem and jumps are easier too since you can compress the bike to "pop" of the lip.
Maintenance on a full sus is minimal maybe just a shock service every now and then and that's it .
Go for it.
Ian.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
My experience is going from a hard tail analogue to Stereo 160... don’t think I’ll ever go back, I love it!! A friend of mine had a hard tail eBike but sold it in favour of his analogue FS Mondraker.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I've got the 2019 Giant Fathom E+ 2 Pro 29er and I love it, really glad I bought the bike, its got me fitter, got me out a lot more and I'm enjoying riding again..... except... when I'm going up or down rocky trails, I have to spend the whole time out of my seat, and the leg pump just kills after a while and if I do sit down for a section, you can bet the bike will choose that moment to try to buck me off it, so yes, I sometimes wish I had that rear suspension. I'm not sure if I'd buy a FS given my time over, I tend to do a lot of road riding to get to trails and to explore the area, combined with fire roads and easy trails, with only a few technical trails getting thrown in when making traverses to another areas, the bike handles it ok, but I got my bike towards the end of the season and with a 20% discount, so would I pay double for a FS? Not sure... ask me when I'm next picking my way down the rocky bed of a stream

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
As a relative newbie to ebikes i purchased my first emtb hardtail last August. Loved it and so much fun.

So much fun that I replaced it last month with a full sus bike. The ride and capability is very different. Wish id gone FS to start with.

Having said that, the biggest surprise for me was how much less punch the same bosch motor has on the FS over the hardtail. Heavier bike more moving parts is the culprit apparently.

Still tho the full sus makes up for it everywhere else.

Last edited:

WJLAV1845

Mar 16, 2021
Northern Ireland
As a relative newbie to ebikes i purchased my first emtb hardtail last August. Loved it and so much fun.

So much fun that I replaced it last month with a full sus bike. The ride and capability is totally different. Wish id gone FS to start with.

Having said that, the biggest surprise for me was how much less punch the same bosch motor has on the FS over the hardtail. Heavier bike more moving parts is the culprit apparently.

Still tho the full sus makes up for it everywhere else.
My problem is now finding one!!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Personally I like and have both. The full sus seems (and feels) like overkill if I just want to kill some time, put the brain in neutral and go for a leisure ride on super easy terrain.
I agree. We sold our gravel bikes and got 2-Powerfly 5’s instead. We’re on the lower part of this mountain but riding to and from the flats is doable now. The 500w batteries take us 50-60-70km, (depending). We travel a combination of bike trails and roads. It’s very unlikely we would venture on the MTB trails with the hardtails.
The 625w FS is perfect for the upper mountain and MTB trails. Also, with any upgrades to the FS, the extras go towards the hardtails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles