New Whyte e-Lyte anyone ?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
grind all the fins off the motor that'll probably be about 50grams and get ride of any gears you don't use on the rear so you can drop a few chain links for maximum gains.

don't be afraid to snap a few spokes off either
Don’t get me wrong, I love me E-160 RSX, but it’s like they forged it out of Thors hammer, a little weight loss wouldn’t do it any harm!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The only time weight has ever been an issue was when I ran out of juice on the way back from Slaley Forest to Blanchland which involved a climb of just over 1 mile ..right at the end of a full day ride ..
That apart I really think the weight of the bike helps to keep things planted when things get gnarly ..I've absolutely no interest at all in a lightweight bike ..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the Whyte E160 RSX and I love it..............but what I was pointing out is that it is easy to strip weight off it, as long as you only want to use it as a trail bike on mild trails. As it stands it has heavy but puncture resistant tyres, hybrid DT Swiss wheelset (prioritising strength with heavier duty spokes, thicker walled hub, steel ratchet freehub, oversized bearings) a 38 stancion fork, a 750w/h battery, double lug seat stay connection, oversized headset, solid downtube. There are no compromises to save weight and every effort to be reliable over the long term on rough terrain. Sure you can bult a pure trail EMTB much lighter but dont expect it to last if you exceed the bike's category restrictions on drops and jumps!!

I see a lot focus on a bikes gross weight but very little on what really matters as far as weight is concerned. The most significant difference you can make to any bike is with the unsprung weight, especially the wheel/tyre combination since that is rotational weight. Lighter unsprung weight enables softer suspension settings especially at the top of the stroke......and potentially lighter springing ( shock/fork).

As far as the sprung weight is concerned the weight of the rider is the main mass.

Thereafter, it matters how low the centre of gravity is which impacts how the bike handles anytime it is in anything other than a perfectly vertical stance; and how well balanced the combination of rider and bike mass is in respect to the front and rear tyre contact patches such that only subtle rider re positioning is required to maintain grip on either wheel.

An EMTB is never going to be as easy to to perform manoeuvres requiring front wheel lift as a MTB simply due to the weight and position of the battery............not impossible though as Chris Akrigg adequately demonstrates.........on an Whyte E160RSX.

I credit Whyte with describing this entry into the half fat category for what it is..................A trail bike.

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I have a Whyte e160 rs and have had an issue with it's weight a few times. Once when there were stiles to cross on a trail and another time there was a swing gate. I really struggled to lift it over both obstacles 🙄

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I have a Whyte e160 rs and have had an issue with it's weight a few times. Once when there were stiles to cross on a trail and another time there was a swing gate. I really struggled to lift it over both obstacles 🙄
Same..... But I knew it would happen and I knew what I was getting..

An acceptable trade off for a great bike (right now at least 🤣)

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
in which case that "trail" is a footpath!!

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Don’t get me wrong, I love me E-160 RSX, but it’s like they forged it out of Thors hammer, a little weight loss wouldn’t do it any harm!
The ONLY time I even think about the weight of my 160 is when I have to lift the bloody thing. It's one of the best riding bikes I've ever ridden, E or not. That's not the same as me saying if you could magically knock 4 kgs off it I'd say no btw!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You could always buy a buch of Helium-filled balloons and fasten them to the bike. With a bit of luck, you could float over those doubles! :ROFLMAO:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It's in Scotland and is therefore accessible to both foot and bike.
the is no LEGAL differentiation but the use of stiles etc can still be used to prevent cycle or vehicle access. The difference in Scotland is therefore that pedestrians are not protected by the LEGAL classification of a footpath as in England. So if you chose to ride what has been optimised for use by pedestrians you have to accept it is not going to be made easy for you !!

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
the is no LEGAL differentiation but the use of stiles etc can still be used to prevent cycle or vehicle access. The difference in Scotland is therefore that pedestrians are not protected by the LEGAL classification of a footpath as in England. So if you chose to ride what has been optimised for use by pedestrians you have to accept it is not going to be made easy for you !!
In this case the styles are generally to allow access over fences that keep in livestock. But I take your point.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles