new to tubeless

Evo1422

Nov 25, 2019
Dudley
Hi
after changing to a tubeless set up approx 8 months ago i was wondering if i need to top up my sealant as i dont hear it swishing about at all, and if i do need to top it up... how much.

thanks

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
You should be able to deflate the tyre, remove the valve core then use a 'dipstick' (not me tho ?) long enough to go down the valve and touch the tyre casing - pull the dipstick out and see where the fluid marks up to.
Top up fluid as necessary, reverse above process.
Some sealants e.g. Orange, come with a dipstick.

Evo1422

Nov 25, 2019
Dudley
You should be able to deflate the tyre, remove the valve core then use a 'dipstick' (not me tho ?) long enough to go down the valve and touch the tyre casing - pull the dipstick out and see where the fluid marks up to.
Top up fluid as necessary, reverse above process.
Some sealants e.g. Orange, come with a dipstick.
Hi thanks for this, i have popped the bead and had a look and there is no excess liquid in the tyre, should i treat it as a new tyre and add amount recommended for first installation

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
Hi thanks for this, i have popped the bead and had a look and there is no excess liquid in the tyre, should i treat it as a new tyre and add amount recommended for first installation
If effectively dry then yes treat as if new.
Doubt it would hurt if you were a little under the full amount as the tyre should still have a coating from the initial fill.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

Keep it well topped up. Having excess in there is better than having none at all when that thorn strikes... says he speaking from experience... :whistle:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, just add 80ml or so otherwise there won't be any wet sealant to reach and seal new punctures.

sticking a dipstick in the valve will tell you nothing helpful.

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
I found the dipstick option helpful when checking a tyre that I knew had been a pig to seal and I didn't fancy the possible hassle resealing it.
It's just another 'tool in the toolbox'

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Best to pop it. It's easy although at this point in time you might have other things you'd rather do like ride. That's how I felt today. Normally I would pop it but from doing it quite a bit I knew it was about time so I pumped a small bottle (65ml) in with a Stan's injector. Took about a minute & no problems.

Tire Sealant Injector

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yes you'll definitely feel it sloshing around and a pinch flat would be messy. I've never had a front puncture so truth is - I don't know :)

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Ive just fitted new tyres for the first time.
Seems quite straightforward...although I might have skimped on sealant a bit....

My issue is that the tyres ( 2.8s) will no way take the inserts I used on the previous tyres (also 2.8s)
I fitted the inserts myself but the tyres werent new at the time.
Im thinking Im going to have to 'go commando' 'til the new rubber is softened enough to take an insert and be squeezed back onto the rim...?
What is the conventional wisdom on this...? AFAIK- the inserts are good for the tyre size....

Last edited:

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
LOL...I might be gun shy after the bead on my sub 300 miler Maxxis delaminated and let go...but the issue is that getting the bead to sit in the rim well with the insert in place is not easily achieved...
Why would this tyre be so much aggro when the Maxxis was a piss of peace..?
Im going to persevere...after its worn in some...!
cheers

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
How did the dipstick tell you how much sealant was in there?
similar to checking the oil in your car, I would think. You rotate the tires so that the valve stem is that the lowest point and any sealant should pull up below that. Remove the valve core and insert dipstick until it touches the tire. If it's all dried up, then there won't be any sealant on the dipstick.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
similar to checking the oil in your car, I would think. You rotate the tires so that the valve stem is that the lowest point and any sealant should pull up below that. Remove the valve core and insert dipstick until it touches the tire. If it's all dried up, then there won't be any sealant on the dipstick.
Yeah. but unlike a car dipstick dipping something into a valve is pretty useless for actually determining the amount of sealant left in your tyre.

The product linked to above from Milkit does a far better job than the "dipstick" idea but it's kinda pricy for what it is. I'm still not sure why some folk are so scared of just breaking the seal at one side of their tyre to check? That way you can also empty the tyre of any dried latex balling.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Yeah. but unlike a car dipstick dipping something into a valve is pretty useless for actually determining the amount of sealant left in your tyre.
I don't see how this is any less meaningful. Check the level on the dipstick when sealant is first added to establish a baseline and go from there.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Milkit does a far better job than the "dipstick" idea but it's kinda pricy for what it is
And it doesn't play nice with CushCore which provides further protection as opposed to a very fancy valve.

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
How did the dipstick tell you how much sealant was in there?
Admittedly it isn't necessarily accurate - but IMO eyeballing a puddle of sealant isn't either - UNTIL you have some experience to judge what you're looking at.

Whether I pop the bead or use the dipstick depends on mood and need - it's a bit like styling a jump, it's all about having options.:)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You don't need 3 gold stars from Maccy Ds to be able to tell if the sealant puddle inside your tyre is dry, almost dry or plenty full enough to do its job should you put a hole in the casing.

Ickle_legs

Feb 9, 2020
Sussex
You don't need 3 gold stars from Maccy Ds to be able to tell if the sealant puddle inside your tyre is dry, almost dry or plenty full enough to do its job should you put a hole in the casing.
Not sure why but I can't help responding(for the last time cos lifes too short and the sun's shining).

Your point also applies to a dipstick - either it's completely dry, has a little tide mark or a big tide mark.

And I'm out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles