New (to me) wheels - possible bad bearing?

MrBaallack

Jul 2, 2023
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey everyone!

Guess what? I've been on the hunt for a second set of wheels for a while, and I just hit the jackpot!(at least I think that) I found a really cheap set on Facebook Marketplace. 🙌

I brought the wheels home and started inspecting them. They look pretty good overall, with minimal signs of wear. However, I noticed that the rear bearing doesn't feel completely smooth. I'm not sure how much is too much though...

Now, here's the thing. The wheels I bought have a microspline hub, but my Turbo Levo has an XD freehub. So, I need to figure out what to do with the freehub situation. My plan is to swap the cassette and brake discs when I want to hit the trail or commute.

I'm considering two options:

1. Buying a freehub XD conversion kit from Industry Nine (maybe even some new bearings). ~ 190€ with bearings.

2. Swapping the entire group for something else and cheaper down the line, and selling the SRAM GX.

Here are the specs of the wheels I got:
Front:
- Rim: DT Swiss ex511 30mm 29"
- Hub: Industry Nine 1/1 6B Boost
- Spokes: Sapim

Rear:
- Rim: DT Swiss ex471 25mm 27.5"
- Hub: Industry Nine 1/1 Microspline
- Spokes: Sapim

I paid around 260-270€ for them. So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed. Any thoughts or advice?

🚲🔧🤔

MrBaallack

Jul 2, 2023
Copenhagen, Denmark
If the bearing is notchy enough to feel, I'd replace it. Bearings on i9 hubs are pretty easy to remove and replace, IME. I'd guess the cheaper option would be to swap out freehubs.
Agree. As I was writing this I figured what I was thinking about, was way more work.

The bearing has some feel to it, so I guess it’s up for replacement.
Only thing is the parts availability in Europe 😅 cannot seem to find parts in Europe.

Front wheel is definitely way more smooth.

MrBaallack

Jul 2, 2023
Copenhagen, Denmark
So i got to replacing the bearings.
One of the bearings on the rear was pretty loose and was the one that was bad.
I changed them all and again, the one on the rear dropped right in. I looked at the old bearing and it looked all black (been hot maybe) . The new bearing is not seating tight enough.

I don’t know… I need to give it a try now that I have it all together, but anyone knows a solution when a wheel bearing is not tight in its seat

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles