New to forum

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
Hello. I’m new to forum. I’m riding a 2017 Turbo Levo comp with some changes. Running the EX1 8 speed. Working out well in case anyone considering it. Also switched to Shimano Saints. Very happy with those as well.

One word of warning. Recently had the top motor mount nut come loose. Made the cranks/frame flex quite a bit. Broke the motor cover on chainring side. That’s the third one now. Other times from bashing it.

Curious if anyone else has run into same issues. These motor covers seem to be squeaky and fragile.

Other than that, I love this bike. I have a back problem that got me off my regular MTB. This has enabled me to keep riding.

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
Couple pics...

D41D1EC9-A7F9-4412-A32E-6C8AEA81EF13.jpeg

82CE88AF-61C1-43CB-B472-DDD6B6770703.jpeg

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Hey SimiEMTB welcome love your bike! thanks for tip on checking engine mount bolts!!
how many mile or kilometres has your bike traveled?

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
I get out usually once a week. Just had surgery so down for a few months. I’d say about 600 miles. Every hour riding in my area is about 1500 feet of climbing. Much more fun now with e assist.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
All best with your recovery!
I'm in a very hilly area myself I ride with a group twice a week and try to get out on my Levo each day, I have 1,400 miles 2018.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I have also had 2 motor covers break, the large one on the drive side broke due to the bike shop incorrectly refitting it after some warranty work (bosses broke), replaced free of charge, and the small upper one on the left hand side has just broke, looks like a manufacturing defect or the bike shop over tightened the fixings, again being replaced free of charge.
I was looking at the EX1 after my rear mech decided to get intimate with the rear wheel whilst out one day and completely knackered itself, very pricey upgrade :eek:

How are you finding the EX1 when changing gear under load?

SimiEMTB

Founding Member
Mar 10, 2018
Californai
I have also had 2 motor covers break, the large one on the drive side broke due to the bike shop incorrectly refitting it after some warranty work (bosses broke), replaced free of charge, and the small upper one on the left hand side has just broke, looks like a manufacturing defect or the bike shop over tightened the fixings, again being replaced free of charge.
I was looking at the EX1 after my rear mech decided to get intimate with the rear wheel whilst out one day and completely knackered itself, very pricey upgrade :eek:

How are you finding the EX1 when changing gear under load?
I try let off during shifts but that’s how I rode before the e-bike. Those times where that doesn’t happen, it takes the shift fine. It’s bulit to take it. I really like the gear spacing and the single gear per shift is clean/precise.

I know what you mean on cost. Fortunately, I was able to make all the changes when purchasing the bike. The LBS gave me more than fair credit on each part I changed. So i upgraded my comp to an expert price but put the parts I wanted on it.

Had same issue with the over tightening. Found some tech guidance stating 1.5nm torque. I think that’s too high. I now have mine at about 1nm with loctite. Also read that roughing the edges that contact the frame can eleiminate squeaking. Trying that next. Have been using light film of grease but doesn’t last.

Now carrying an extra derailleur hanger in my pack for that potential derailleur/rock encounters. Made contact last ride but it survived it.

I’m going to try to post tech guidance I found in specialized forum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles