Sram EX1 on 2018 Turbo Levo

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
Hi everybody,
Does anyone use the 8V Sram e-bike specific drivetrain EX1 on their Turbo Levo?
Just wondering if the largest cog of the cassette (48 t) could be an issue for the Brose motor.

DanDilla

Jun 11, 2018
Germany
As you got a normal sized chainring in the front the Limit for the cassette is depending on the rear derailleur and the chain length.
As long as I know it is very tight on the motor cover if you go below 32t chainring..
So I think ex1 and ex1 should work ;)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
They are certainly using big cassettes on the Rotwild and Bulls bikes, so I can't see it being an issue. 90Nm is plenty!

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Have a few friends that have that cassette and hate the range. The jump is too big at the start then too close on the second half.

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
Bigger cog means easier gear I don't see it as an issue for any motor.
Some companies, for example Bosch in his motor before the latest upgrades, lock the gear ratio into the software. You are not allowed to change this ratio, otherwise you get a system error.
As I said, Bosch changed this behavior only in the latest software versions, and allowed users to choose between different cassettes.
I didn't know the policy of Brose, I'm new to Specialized bikes, but reading your posts seems that the system is "open" to gear ratio changes. Good to know.

Someone upgraded his bike with this drivetrain?
What are your impressions?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Some companies, for example Bosch in his motor before the latest upgrades, lock the gear ratio into the software. You are not allowed to change this ratio, otherwise you get a system error.
As I said, Bosch changed this behavior only in the latest software versions, and allowed users to choose between different cassettes.
I didn't know the policy of Brose, I'm new to Specialized bikes, but reading your posts seems that the system is "open" to gear ratio changes. Good to know.

Someone upgraded his bike with this drivetrain?
What are your impressions?

OK, that's a firmware thing and it has to do with Bosch's shift sensing, Brose doesn't have it.

In EX the gaps between the gears are too big and the cassette is crazy expensive and it wouldn't be an upgrade. 11 speed is kind of 'sweet spot'.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
A 32 or 34 front ring works fine with a 48 or 46 rear giving a gear low enough to climb anything that’s rideable .
The ex1 has amazing shifting under power and very hard wearing but I found the ratios were a little too wide especially when riding with pedal bikes . I wouldn’t be paying the premium for any of the sram high end stuff

DrKrown

Dec 11, 2018
Italy
OK, that's a firmware thing and it has to do with Bosch's shift sensing, Brose doesn't have it.

In EX the gaps between the gears are too big and the cassette is crazy expensive and it wouldn't be an upgrade. 11 speed is kind of 'sweet spot'.
I agree with you.
I started looking into EX1 because it seems that there are no 11v chains that are lasting fairly long in emtb's. I can confirm that, because I checked mine (Sram PC1130) yesterday and is close to be stretched out after only 400 km.
I fear to break the chain in the middle of a forest, so I was looking for something strong and reliable.
EMtb specific chains (KMC) does not seem to help.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I agree with you.
I started looking into EX1 because it seems that there are no 11v chains that are lasting fairly long in emtb's. I can confirm that, because I checked mine (Sram PC1130) yesterday and is close to be stretched out after only 400 km.
I fear to break the chain in the middle of a forest, so I was looking for something strong and reliable.
Hmmm... I'm running the cheapest PC1110 chains and they work perfectly for me. I'm alternating two in every ~1000km and now I'm @3600km and neither of them is stretched to 0.75% I can make ~4500km with them.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I agree with you.
Kmc do an ebike chain , Merlin cycles are the only place I have found one recently ,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles