New to EMTB £5k Budget

supertom44

Mar 7, 2021
Great Haywood UK
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting an e-mtb and was hoping I could get some advise on what models would suit me best for my budget.

I'm looking to spend around the £5,000 mark a little over is fine. I'll mostly be riding at trail centres, my local centre is Cannock Chase so be doing plenty of runs on Follow the Dog and Monkey Trail.

The bikes I've been considering:
  • Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRS Mountain Bike - Although out of stock now. I was concerned that this may be too much towards the downhill side of the scale for me needs.
  • Merida eOne-Sixty 8000
  • Specialized TURBO LEVO
  • Haibike AllMtn 6
Unfortunately it looks like stock may be the biggest decider, I'd love to buy locally but haven't seen anything in stock around here.

I did consider Canyon but after doing some research they don't seem to have the best reviews.

Any advice or any other models I should look at would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
Here's a great one for you for less than 4,300 pounds:

OSPherik.jpg

Carbon frame Shimano EP8 with 630W battery, ROCKSHOX 35 fork, Shimano deore 12 speed. Only issue is that it might not be available in UK ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Trek Rail 5 or 7 if you can stretch the budget slightly.
Whyte e-150 (29er) or e-160 (27.5) are also just over budget.
Cube Stereo Hybrid Action Team
All come with the Gen 4 Bosch and 625Wh battery.

Stock will be your biggest problem though, you may just end up calling every dealer you can think of until you find something your size in stock.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This will be interesting ?!? I thought Canyon had kind of got it together a bit more lately ??!

Though I'm starting to question if I've not lost my subjectivity ..

I mean, I keep saying Spesh are good .. mainly because of my own experiences as the most incompetent buffoon I know on a bike and not breaking mine.

I think Rail's seem pretty bloody good, which seems to be proven by Doom's not breaking his, and he's the most competent buffoon I know ... :)

You might want to check Thok and Ducati too. Basically the same, but with different specs, but often pretty good value for money.

murz100

Feb 16, 2019
bristol
If you can push the budget and even get hold of one get a cube stereo hybrid AT
cracking bike . But they all have problems !

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
There’s so many nice eeb’s to choose from around the £5k mark that all have similar components, weights, geometry etc that I’d say just get one that you find pretty damn sexy and most importantly that your local bike shop with a great mechanic can get for you as it’ll no doubt have issues, need servicing, replacement parts and you just won’t get any back up if you buy it online or from a store that’s too far away for a quick drive to

supertom44

Mar 7, 2021
Great Haywood UK
Thank you so much for the helpful replies I really appreciate it.

In regards to the Canyon feedback I think it was more to do with their after care, I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe I should relook at them.

The Whyte and Trek both look good.

I'm looking at shops locally, but stock is a major issue right now. I've emailed my local shop to see when they will have the Trek in stock, so fingers crossed.

I'm guessing as long as I stick to some of the brands mentioned I can't really go too far wrong and will enjoy whatever I buy.

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
I bought a Canyon, should arrive next week so I can let you know! Went for the Canyon as they have stock, everything else required waiting anything from 3-6 months! Seems to get great reviews so I'm quite excited!

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting an e-mtb and was hoping I could get some advise on what models would suit me best for my budget.

I'm looking to spend around the £5,000 mark a little over is fine. I'll mostly be riding at trail centres, my local centre is Cannock Chase so be doing plenty of runs on Follow the Dog and Monkey Trail.

• Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRS Mountain Bike - Although out of stock now. I was concerned that this may be too much towards the downhill side of the scale for me needs.
  • Merida eOne-Sixty 8000
  • Specialized TURBO LEVO
  • Haibike AllMtn 6
Unfortunately it looks like stock may be the biggest decider, I'd love to buy locally but haven't seen anything in stock around here.

I did consider Canyon but after doing some research they don't seem to have the best reviews.

Cheers.
Have a look at the new raydons, they look good. Not sure what stock is like though and shipping to the UK? Lots of friends at the moment having issues with ordering a bike with less than 4 months lead time and then it gets extended. Raymon also have great spec for the money

huwp

Feb 10, 2021
Wales
I own a Whyte Stirling and its a brilliant bike. When I started looking at e bikes Whyte were the first I looked at but I saw a review which slated them for their battery position and removal. Any user feedback appreciated.
cheers
h

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I own a Whyte Stirling and its a brilliant bike. When I started looking at e bikes Whyte were the first I looked at but I saw a review which slated them for their battery position and removal. Any user feedback appreciated.
cheers
h

I've never removed the battery and never felt the need to, I really don't see why it is even considered an issue. Would you take the battery out of your phone? Same thing, there's no reason to ?
Battery position is really low which makes the centre of gravity low as well so it handles like a dream ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There's a few reasons why you'd want to remove the battery;
1. Some people don't have the capability to charge where they keep the bike.
2. Batteries don't like extremes of temperature, so keeping it indoors during the winter makes sense.
3. Removing the battery removes about 3KG from the weight of the bike, making it easier to put on a rack or lift into a car.

The Whyte battery isn't the easiest to remove, but it wouldn't stop me buying one.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
from the list:
E-sommet, yes it's towards the DH end of the scale, if you like trail centres, there are better bikes, plus you probably won't get one anyway they are all sold out..
E-onesixty, I thought these were £6k? I looked that them but they just seemed overpriced and underspecced.
Turbo Levo, yeah they seem ok but I just think they are overpriced and underspecced, also I heard a lot about motor failures
Allmtn 6, unless you can find one in a bike shop, you won't get one untill september, maybe. I looked at the 7 but it's sold out everywhere. I've been looking at other haibikes but they are also sold put untill sept, so as rule of thumb all haibikes seem to be sold out.

I recently got an Orbea Wild FS for £5040 and I love it (it was £5600 with 10% off) it's similar in spec to most of the above, defo more than capable of trail centres

supertom44

Mar 7, 2021
Great Haywood UK
Hey all, sorry for the slow update.

I managed to pick up a Trek Rail 7, took it on it's first real ride yesterday over follow the dog. Brilliant fun, going to take some getting use to. Almost rode into several trees when the acceleration caught me out. Anyone who says emtb's are not a work out has not tried manoeuvring a 25kg bike at speed, my entire body aches, definitely need to work on my upper body strength.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hey all, sorry for the slow update.

I managed to pick up a Trek Rail 7, took it on it's first real ride yesterday over follow the dog. Brilliant fun, going to take some getting use to. Almost rode into several trees when the acceleration caught me out. Anyone who says emtb's are not a work out has not tried manoeuvring a 25kg bike at speed, my entire body aches, definitely need to work on my upper body strength.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Good choice , glad you got sorted , but we need pictures or it didn't happen ??

Andrei_

Jan 29, 2021
Germany
late post but i would have recommended the Merida, but you dont go wrong with Trek either, i'm eager of future updates though, have fun :D

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Hi all,

• Merida eOne-Sixty 8000
  • Specialized TURBO LEVO
  • Haibike AllMtn 6

Cheers.
Vitus VRS is a a great bike just got one. Sold my previous ones as it is a great rig for the money. Haibike Fullseven4 is a great bike for the money and probably more to what you'd want riding wise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles