New Sam 6.8 & new member

MattBaigent

Jun 18, 2022
North Hampshire
Hi guys,

new to the e-MTB world and really enjoying it. I have a non e bike which is an Orbea rallon but after a friend getting the whyte e180 and me trying it, I had to get one. Decided to get the sam2 and happy I did as it’s a lovely bike to ride and the 29in wheels just want to roll everything but I have a few little issues.

Every now and again, whilst riding I get a clunk which sounds very much like the drivetrain when each crank is at the 12 o’clock position. Doesn’t happen all the time but often enough for me to wonder what is it. I just assumed it’s from the torque of the motor….. 🤷‍♂️.

I also have a creak, I’ve done the usual attempts to locate and seem to creak either sat or stood and even when not holding handle bars so it’s deducted the seatpost/saddle and headset/handlebars from the possible issuea. I’m wondering if it could be within the suspension linkages??

any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

also, what is it like set up as a mullet but without adjusting the flip chip so it’s a little more slack.

thanks in advanced.

matt

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
With my Focus the rear hub didn’t last long before it shit itself, started with a clonk when reapplying pressure to the pedals. Mine was a Novatec hub, which is poo, yours maybe a better item.

MattBaigent

Jun 18, 2022
North Hampshire
With my Focus the rear hub didn’t last long before it shit itself, started with a clonk when reapplying pressure to the pedals. Mine was a Novatec hub, which is poo, yours maybe a better item.
Mine is also a novatec hub. It may be that as my initial thought was the rear cassette was loose allows some play. I guess that’s where they save the money which is a shame but I guess cheap parts have to go somewhere!

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I could have used warranty for mine, but just went with a new wheel, Hope version with a far superior hub design, but unfortunately due to my OCD, meant a new front wheel too. 🙄🙄

MattBaigent

Jun 18, 2022
North Hampshire
I could have used warranty for mine, but just went with a new wheel, Hope version with a far superior hub design, but unfortunately due to my OCD, meant a new front wheel too. 🙄🙄
Haha yea I plan on doing the same too, but because I may want to go mullet, I think I may need to buy 3 wheels! 🤦‍♂️ I have nukeproof horizon v2 on my non E bike and they’re decent but not sure if they’re suitable for the weight of an E bike

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I also have a creak, I’ve done the usual attempts to locate and seem to creak either sat or stood and even when not holding handle bars so it’s deducted the seatpost/saddle and headset/handlebars from the possible issuea. I’m wondering if it could be within the suspension linkages??
Focus sometimes seem a bit lax on correctly torquing the suspension linkages. It's worth checking them all, you may have to remove a couple to get access to the ones behind the triangle, these are often only finger tight and cause creaks.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The Novatec hubs are not terrible per se but there is skimping in that the hub has a cheap plastic cover which over time will allow water & dirt to penetrate & so can chew away at the pawls and ratchets. If your bike is new, it's probably not the source but worth looking over anyway if you have the wherewithal to take the cassette off. For the creak, check the six motor bolts are nipped up, they're a decent suspect.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
My hub at 900 miles
B60C2D2F-C85B-49F4-AE1A-D3714CFAB3C2.jpeg

thedrizzle

Dec 21, 2020
Blackburn North
I had the most horrid creak on my jam2 it took a long time to find and fix it but I found it was coming from the way the motor was mounted to the bike. There is a mounting plate between the motor and the frame and the bolts securing this were not even finger tight. I applied Loctite and tightened up and it has been silent since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles