New Praxis chainring time - help

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Anyone changed one yet? Must you use Praxis or can you put on any 104BCD? Also can the ring be changed without removing the cranks? TIA.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Im looking to change mine soon, done 3500km on the original. It will come off without removing the cranks. can anyone recommend a Shimano replacement ??

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Im looking to change mine soon, done 3500km on the original. It will come off without removing the cranks. can anyone recommend a Shimano replacement ??

My only concern with a non Praxis chainring is that the Praxis chainring bolt holes are threaded to keep the bolt profile low due to the motor position. I'd be surprised if other rings don't work but worth keeping in mind.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
I recently changed mine to a steel sram eagle 34t 104BCD, had to use some chainring nuts I had knocking about in my toolbox as said above the praxis ring is threaded, no issues using the existing bolts with new nuts in the sram ring.
The praxis one can be removed without removing spider and cranks, however the sram one wouldn't go back over the spider because of its deeper shape profile so I had to remove the cranks and borrow a special socket to remove the spider.
Once fitted all works fine, I find the 34t is better than the stock 36, adds a lower gear for climbing and efficiency and i don't notice the lower top end speed.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I'm wondering whether to change mine to a 34t to increase ground clearance a bit. It looks like the 36t extends down lower than the bottom of the motor and I'm pretty sure I've decked it out a few times rolling over logs etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles