New owner introduction

aaronplant

Jul 26, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi everyone,

I recently became the proud owner of a new Giant Trance E+1 Pro 2020 ebike. I’m still learning about these bikes and enjoying every mile of riding one. First observations - no computer display on the bike and a crap app that won’t stay on screen so I can actually use it! Probably need a display but I can’t find much info on what’s available. Also was hoping to control some lights with the RideControl One button designated for them, but can’t find ANY info on suitable lights or how to do it. I am a fairly casual rider based in Leicestershire and looking to get more exercise on this amazing bike :) I’m always here to help if I can :)

MartinC

Jul 14, 2020
Sussex UK
HI. I'm an new owner of a Trance e+ 2 2020 pro and share your frustration with the RideControl App, very glitchy, never trust it to keep tracking - think its overall a bit of a work in progress form Giant. Thanksfully the bike itself lives up to my expectations, and more.

Had a look at different options regarding the lack of display. Simplest looks like it might be to have something like a Garmin Edge which works off the ANT+ connection on the RideControl unit - then use that to display the current ride values. HAvent tried it or heard definitely from others that it works but it have see tech spec of Ridecontrol suggesting it shod be compatible.

Nothing much available from Giant regarding the Ridecontrol Lights button, but I was interested too and found the following from Youtube

#AdaptMTB

aaronplant

Jul 26, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi!

Thanks for your reply - it is much appreciated. I think I came across that video from that every kind and enterprising chap. I'm a bit reluctant to start stripping down the bike and modifying it, I was hoping there would be something less DIY that would be available. But the Garmin thing sounds like a possibility for the computer issue - thanks for that. It's difficult to identify stuff for this bike, and its always useful to have some suggestions from more experienced people. I'll keep in touch in case I find anything good and try to share it with others :)

MartinC

Jul 14, 2020
Sussex UK
Hi!

Thanks for your reply - it is much appreciated. I think I came across that video from that every kind and enterprising chap. I'm a bit reluctant to start stripping down the bike and modifying it, I was hoping there would be something less DIY that would be available. But the Garmin thing sounds like a possibility for the computer issue - thanks for that. It's difficult to identify stuff for this bike, and its always useful to have some suggestions from more experienced people. I'll keep in touch in case I find anything good and try to share it with others :)

Yes I know what you mean, he makes it looks simple but certainly not simple enough by long way for me to try! Yes, keep me posted on what else you find out about displays. Worse case, I thought I could use my iPhone on a holder but concern is crashes etc. A more purpose built screen would be far better. Garmin Edge could just be the way to go.

"More experienced people" - ha ha, I'm on day 24 on an emtb, but nice of you to suggest that!

We'll learn together. (y)

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Hi everyone,

I recently became the proud owner of a new Giant Trance E+1 Pro 2020 ebike. I’m still learning about these bikes and enjoying every mile of riding one. First observations - no computer display on the bike and a crap app that won’t stay on screen so I can actually use it! Probably need a display but I can’t find much info on what’s available. Also was hoping to control some lights with the RideControl One button designated for them, but can’t find ANY info on suitable lights or how to do it. I am a fairly casual rider based in Leicestershire and looking to get more exercise on this amazing bike :) I’m always here to help if I can :)

A couple of weeks ago there was a post on this forum about a Spanish (I think) bike magazine reporter who had approached Giant about their crapp.

He was told that they had a new software development team making a completey new and better app that would be wonderful, and should be appearing in the next few weeks!

1595885288308.png
1595885288308.png
1595885288308.png
1595885288308.png
1595885288308.png
1595885288308.png
!

aaronplant

Jul 26, 2020
Derbyshire
Ooh, thank you for the info - I am excited now :) I hope it brings a more practical and useful app, because I am beginning to realise that the current app is virtually useless on a ride unles you want to try unlocking your phone while you are riding! And even then it’s terribly featureless. I went back to google maps in the end lol! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

MartinC

Jul 14, 2020
Sussex UK
Hi everyone,

Hi again, just stumbled upon a YT vid of a guy upgrading his 2019 RideControl One unit to a 2020 version that has ANT+, then he paired it with a Wahoo ELEMNT and it appears to work, showing power setting, distance, speed, cadence etc.

Also found a useful page on the "ANT" site that shows a list of compatible devices of the RideControl One

So looks like we have a number of options.

cheers

aaronplant

Jul 26, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi there, thank you so much for sharing this info :)

It is really useful. And I have also come across what lookS to be a highly functional computer recently that also gives remaining range and a massive range of other features with lots of connectivity options.

Well worth a look if you’ve got a decent budget.

aaronplant

Jul 26, 2020
Derbyshire
That made me laugh!

A couple of weeks ago there was a post on this forum about a Spanish (I think) bike magazine reporter who had approached Giant about their crapp.

He was told that they had a new software development team making a completey new and better app that would be wonderful, and should be appearing in the next few weeks!

View attachment 36782 View attachment 36782 View attachment 36782 View attachment 36782 View attachment 36782 View attachment 36782 !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles