New Orbea Rise bar config/setup ???

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Gents,

Just got my new Rise today, it's got a completely different bar/computer setup to the old one and i can't work out where the Dropper Lever should actually be.

IMG_20240325_095602 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

IMG_20240325_095607 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

There's not enough space due to the Shimano tab/limiter to move it inboard.

No matter where i seem to put it, the lever is almost touching the controller and it's really not a perfect setup....

I could of course move the computer to the inside and the dropper to the grip side... but i'm not sure that's right.

What has everyone else got/done ?

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
get a ispec ev dropper lever and mount on the brake lever mount, also brake lever needs to move way more to the right, you are supposed to brake with one finger, not all of them

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I've got a set of Code RSCs and Codes i can fit, but i wasn't planning on rerouting a set of brakes right now.

I'd really rather come up with something better here.. But struggling to work out what 'better' actually is.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Gents,

Just got my new Rise today, it's got a completely different bar/computer setup to the old one and i can't work out where the Dropper Lever should actually be.

IMG_20240325_095602 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

IMG_20240325_095607 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

There's not enough space due to the Shimano tab/limiter to move it inboard.

No matter where i seem to put it, the lever is almost touching the controller and it's really not a perfect setup....

I could of course move the computer to the inside and the dropper to the grip side... but i'm not sure that's right.

What has everyone else got/done ?
I solved exactly the same problem (of not having the dropper lever exactly where I wanted it) by replacing the I-Spec EV brake lever with a I-Spec II lever which doesn't have the outer tab.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Yeah i'm slightly torn on the lever at the moment. That one above is a cheapy one i bought for a different bike half a lifetime ago, but it'd do the job. But yes absolutely there are nicer ones out there, there's the hope, but i think they're direct mount and would need a band setup, Wolftooth i like, also One-up... I'll see how this one goes for now.

It'll also depend on whether this Rise is mine, or the orange one is mine lol. If this Mulberry one goes to my lad, it'll get the cheaper dropper lever :D He's already got enough with his DMR, PRivateer, Trek Session :D

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yeah i'm slightly torn on the lever at the moment. That one above is a cheapy one i bought for a different bike half a lifetime ago, but it'd do the job. But yes absolutely there are nicer ones out there, there's the hope, but i think they're direct mount and would need a band setup, Wolftooth i like, also One-up... I'll see how this one goes for now.

It'll also depend on whether this Rise is mine, or the orange one is mine lol. If this Mulberry one goes to my lad, it'll get the cheaper dropper lever :D He's already got enough with his DMR, PRivateer, Trek Session :D
I have the Light Action Wolftooth dropper lever, can't fault it.

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
The brake location is set on Shimanos be a de-limiting tab/bracket, so is set about correct for orientation from the grip. They've done that for the last 5 years.
IMG_20240325_103146 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
what?

it needs to be there:

1711379989459.jpeg

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
fyi, that’s how i had it on my rise gen1 and how i run all my shimano levers:

1711380290464.jpeg

that way the tip of your index finger is exactly on the end of the lever. i can’t even imagine how you one finger brake on your setup. do you only grip half of the grip?

ipe

Jun 26, 2023
White Mountains
New bike levers are set "outboard" or closer to the end of the bar because it's the easiest thing for the shop employee to do during the initial build setup (time = money). It's assumed/ understood that the rider will move the controls to the position that suits them best during the purchase or after.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
New bike levers are set "outboard" or closer to the end of the bar because it's the easiest thing for the shop employee to do during the initial build setup (time = money). It's assumed/ understood that the rider will move the controls to the position that suits them best during the purchase or after.
TBH with that dropper lever, you really can't anyway... it's just not 'right' in any position. The brake de-limiter tab doesn't help, but it's stil pretty much a deal-breaker, hence the fact i've cut it off and fitted a different one.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
fyi, that’s how i had it on my rise gen1 and how i run all my shimano levers:

View attachment 136973
that way the tip of your index finger is exactly on the end of the lever. i can’t even imagine how you one finger brake on your setup. do you only grip half of the grip?
MAte, that's not 'my' setup. That's how the bike came from the dealer this morning in a box.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
what?

it needs to be there:

View attachment 136968
Moving it to there still wouldn't have resolved the issue of the dropper being too close to the newer controller, it's bigger than the previous one, both from the front and the housing underneath. It wasn't the brake location that brought on the problem.

It's now like this,
IMG-20240325-WA0008 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

But you're still correct that the lever isn't exactly ideal there for 1 finger braking. But that's mostly due to the levers being massively long :D
Hence why i'll likely fit the Codes, especially as they're also my preferred brake and my boys (well, RSC on all of his).

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Loic Bruni lever on Fabio Wibmer body best Magura brake setup flatter lever unlike standard Magura levers can run 2fingers or 1

IMG_5412.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles