New decoy sizing question

Cseven

May 25, 2021
Seattle
I just pre ordered the new core 3 decoy. I ordered a size medium. I am 5’7” 168lbs with all my riding gear on. I like an agile and playful bike. Should I size down to a small or should I keep the medium? Tempted to do the small but I don’t want it to be uncomfortably small.
Thanks!

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Can I add to this thread by asking the same question. I am 5'10.5 and 210. I ordered the Large and worried the reach will be too short. I have a 30 in inseam and longer torso with generally pretty short legs. Do you think the large will work? Just ordered the large Decoy MX Core 3 from YT.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Can I add to this thread by asking the same question. I am 5'10.5 and 210. I ordered the Large and worried the reach will be too short. I have a 30 in inseam and longer torso with generally pretty short legs. Do you think the large will work? Just ordered the large Decoy MX Core 3 from YT.
Should be good. Can always get shorter cranks from somewhere like Miranda. You're going to love it.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
For op, im the same size. I wouldnt think of going small. Reach is a bit short by todays standard. Medium is perfect for a playful bike. Large if you want bike patk speed stability

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
For op, im the same size. I wouldnt think of going small. Reach is a bit short by todays standard. Medium is perfect for a playful bike. Large if you want bike patk speed stability
So what size do you ride? Your just above 5'10 ? and 210 -215?
I call it linebacker size. lol

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
So what size do you ride? Your just above 5'10 ? and 210 -215?
I call it linebacker size. lol
Op said he is 5"7' 168lbs and thats roughly what i measure. I have a 29" inseam, long torso. Op didnt say his inseam
For reference, the reach on my med is 430, large is 450 and my medium commencal meta am 29 is 470. Commencal is longer than most and ive put a 32mm stem on it. 455 - 465 would be my sweet spot for reach with that 32mm stem. A large decoy with the 35mm length i have on it would be preferable. Really like my medium for most things. Its a great bike and well built. I just think the large with 450 reach would be damn close to the sweet spot. The 470 reach on my commencal demands higher speed than tight xc type trails. I do go fast sometimes on those trails because it works better but overall it can tend to struggle a bit there. Bike park speeds and steep gnarly stuff and it really comes alive with the 470 reach but it has a shorter chainstay then the decoy(only 5cm). Latge decoy with 450 reach , 180 fork, my -1 degree works headset, slack setting on the chip, and one offset bushing would have the head angle and wheel base very close to the commencal(i upped the fork on the meta to 180 as well). Decoy would just a touch shorter reach and wheelbase and that be perfect for my area, use and fit.
For you id say the debate would be xl or xxl. They both have adequite standover but i think the large would give you good standover and youd be able to get a dropper post with long enough drop. You may want to confirm the seat tube lengths to be sure. That would probably be the deciding factor in my eyes. I think one up dropper still gives the longest drop in the shortest post, but there is some new posts that may challenge that

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Op said he is 5"7' 168lbs and thats roughly what i measure. I have a 29" inseam, long torso. Op didnt say his inseam
For reference, the reach on my med is 430, large is 450 and my medium commencal meta am 29 is 470. Commencal is longer than most and ive put a 32mm stem on it. 455 - 465 would be my sweet spot for reach with that 32mm stem. A large decoy with the 35mm length i have on it would be preferable. Really like my medium for most things. Its a great bike and well built. I just think the large with 450 reach would be damn close to the sweet spot. The 470 reach on my commencal demands higher speed than tight xc type trails. I do go fast sometimes on those trails because it works better but overall it can tend to struggle a bit there. Bike park speeds and steep gnarly stuff and it really comes alive with the 470 reach but it has a shorter chainstay then the decoy(only 5cm). Latge decoy with 450 reach , 180 fork, my -1 degree works headset, slack setting on the chip, and one offset bushing would have the head angle and wheel base very close to the commencal(i upped the fork on the meta to 180 as well). Decoy would just a touch shorter reach and wheelbase and that be perfect for my area, use and fit.
For you id say the debate would be xl or xxl. They both have adequite standover but i think the large would give you good standover and youd be able to get a dropper post with long enough drop. You may want to confirm the seat tube lengths to be sure. That would probably be the deciding factor in my eyes. I think one up dropper still gives the longest drop in the shortest post, but there is some new posts that may challenge that
Thank you so much for the insight. I plan on heading to San Clemente to try and get sized at the factory. They are not very good about getting back to emails etc and trying to sign up for a demo is near impossible. I think the best bet is to just go up there and sit on a bike if that is allowed. We can only see!!! Since I just put in my order and says 6 months until it is delivered I am sure they can alter the order, I would hope. I still need to see if my current SC Bronson is a medium or large. the reach is perfect on that bike. If the SC is a medium the reach is about the same at 455with just a slightly shorter with YT large. If it is a large it is at 475 mm which is quite a difference from a YT large at 449mm. Unfortunately my Bronson is at my other place about two hours away but plan on being there tomorrow..

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thank you so much for the insight. I plan on heading to San Clemente to try and get sized at the factory. They are not very good about getting back to emails etc and trying to sign up for a demo is near impossible. I think the best bet is to just go up there and sit on a bike if that is allowed. We can only see!!! Since I just put in my order and says 6 months until it is delivered I am sure they can alter the order, I would hope. I still need to see if my current SC Bronson is a medium or large. the reach is perfect on that bike. If the SC is a medium the reach is about the same at 455with just a slightly shorter with YT large. If it is a large it is at 475 mm which is quite a difference from a YT large at 449mm. Unfortunately my Bronson is at my other place about two hours away but plan on being there tomorrow..
Sounds like youll have it figured out no problem, especially if you throw a leg over one. Fingers crossed you get it sooner. Really fun bike

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Sounds like youll have it figured out no problem, especially if you throw a leg over one. Fingers crossed you get it sooner. Really fun bike
Yes me too. I am a little worried about reading the horrific customer service topics on Facebook thread. Seems like 90% of them are horrible with a good one here an there. I am the type of person who will give them the benefit of the doubt until I judge from my own experiences. That said all I read are horror stories. I am thinking that this might be due to the explosion in the industry and Covid slow downs. Have you experienced any of these same issues. Other than that seems everyone loves their bikes and they answered my call today!! Have to be happy about that.
Cheers

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yes me too. I am a little worried about reading the horrific customer service topics on Facebook thread. Seems like 90% of them are horrible with a good one here an there. I am the type of person who will give them the benefit of the doubt until I judge from my own experiences. That said all I read are horror stories. I am thinking that this might be due to the explosion in the industry and Covid slow downs. Have you experienced any of these same issues. Other than that seems everyone loves their bikes and they answered my call today!! Have to be happy about that.
Cheers
I can't really speak for uk/euro cs but ive had great customer service from YT usa and im in canada. I dont think there are many employees and sometimes it takes a week to get an email reply but after any issue was brought up they were on it. Shimano didnt have a warrantee motor for 4 months and for motor issues in Canada we're directed to shimano canada via a lbs/certified shimano tech. After a few months of no message from Shimano , yt stepped in and got me sorted in a few days. They would phone and give me updates. Pretty good guy to be fair. I think he was one of the senior dudes there? No decoy water bottle on the site so just emailed him and he gave me an exact date for them. Recently there were no pivots and axles for my bike on the site. I figured i should refresh them after a couple years. Still pretty clean in there. Well sealed for sure. Anyway despite no pivots/axles on the site he was able to scrounge some up and had them in a week. You should be close enough to roll over to cali hq if there's any issue id think. I trust the bike itself. Motors of any kind it seems is the unknown. 2000km on the new one this year. So good so far/fingers crossed. Motor warrantee runs out mid summer this year

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Wow that sounds like pretty great cs and being so close I think n I will be good to go. You never know with reviews and how impatient people can be so it’s an unknown. Especially with COVID and this emtb market exploding. I am heading up there Tuesday per their rec to try a large and xl. They actually recommended I preorder the XL as well just in case they sell out between then and now. So now I have two bikes ordered. They said I could Cancel one when I figure out the right size. I guess I will experience this cs first hand. Cheers and thanks again

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
I can't really speak for uk/euro cs but ive had great customer service from YT usa and im in canada. I dont think there are many employees and sometimes it takes a week to get an email reply but after any issue was brought up they were on it. Shimano didnt have a warrantee motor for 4 months and for motor issues in Canada we're directed to shimano canada via a lbs/certified shimano tech. After a few months of no message from Shimano , yt stepped in and got me sorted in a few days. They would phone and give me updates. Pretty good guy to be fair. I think he was one of the senior dudes there? No decoy water bottle on the site so just emailed him and he gave me an exact date for them. Recently there were no pivots and axles for my bike on the site. I figured i should refresh them after a couple years. Still pretty clean in there. Well sealed for sure. Anyway despite no pivots/axles on the site he was able to scrounge some up and had them in a week. You should be close enough to roll over to cali hq if there's any issue id think. I trust the bike itself. Motors of any kind it seems is the unknown. 2000km on the new one this year. So good so far/fingers crossed. Motor warrantee runs out mid summer this year
Wondering what year you bought your bike ?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Wow that sounds like pretty great cs and being so close I think n I will be good to go. You never know with reviews and how impatient people can be so it’s an unknown. Especially with COVID and this emtb market exploding. I am heading up there Tuesday per their rec to try a large and xl. They actually recommended I preorder the XL as well just in case they sell out between then and now. So now I have two bikes ordered. They said I could Cancel one when I figure out the right size. I guess I will experience this cs first hand. Cheers and thanks again
Good one! Good time to buy. Ive been telling people if you want an emtb, and you can find one that fits and you like it , buy it. The market demand and supply shortage isnt going away and the price isnt going down. If for some unseen reason a person has to sell one, they wont lose much if any. Good luck

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Good one! Good time to buy. Ive been telling people if you want an emtb, and you can find one that fits and you like it , buy it. The market demand and supply shortage isnt going away and the price isnt going down. If for some unseen reason a person has to sell one, they wont lose much if any. Good luck
Thats what I figure. Might actually keep the order on both, maybe the large will work for my wife.lol.

rondre3000

Jun 15, 2021
San Diego

You're on the right track with comparing reach numbers for your current and future bike. Demos at The Mill aren't available right now, but they will let you doing a parking lot test for size confirmations. I did one just last week. However you may NOT be able to update your order if the inventory of the bike you want to switch to is not available. For example, CORE 4 MX models in all sizes are no longer available on the YT US site.

I'm 5'10" and prefer a bike with at least 470mm of reach so needed to confirm the sizes in the MX and 29 versions would work for me and I'd still be able to use a 170mm dropper post at my seat height. My parking lot test confirmed a size L MX bike would be too small for me (ordered an XL MX) and that the Size L 29 version might also feel a little too cramped. XL might be slightly too big tho. No XL 29 versions available at The Mill for parking lot test so I'll keep my XL 29 preorder until shipped.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
You're on the right track with comparing reach numbers for your current and future bike. Demos at The Mill aren't available right now, but they will let you doing a parking lot test for size confirmations. I did one just last week. However you may NOT be able to update your order if the inventory of the bike you want to switch to is not available. For example, CORE 4 MX models in all sizes are no longer available on the YT US site.

I'm 5'10" and prefer a bike with at least 470mm of reach so needed to confirm the sizes in the MX and 29 versions would work for me and I'd still be able to use a 170mm dropper post at my seat height. My parking lot test confirmed a size L MX bike would be too small for me (ordered an XL MX) and that the Size L 29 version might also feel a little too cramped. XL might be slightly too big tho. No XL 29 versions available at The Mill for parking lot test so I'll keep my XL 29 preorder until shipped.
Thanks for the heads up. I have actually done a full 360 on this. Might go with a levo comp 29er. Have a local shop here in Sd if things break and like the idea of a bigger battery being a bigger guy at 210. My buddy has one and loves it. Plus it’s available in June and do t have to wait 6 months and miss the whole season. Cheers

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Thanks for the heads up. I have actually done a full 360 on this. Might go with a levo comp 29er. Have a local shop here in Sd if things break and like the idea of a bigger battery being a bigger guy at 210. My buddy has one and loves it. Plus it’s available in June and do t have to wait 6 months and miss the whole season. Cheers
I also like the idea of lifetime frame warranty and having a local shop since I am not mechanical

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles