Decoy 29er Owners, sizing concerns

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Help!
I've ordered a Decoy Base 29er in XL, I'm 5ft 10inches tall with a 31inch inside leg. My current bike is a G170S which has a reach slap bang in the middle of the L and XL Decoy but it's a 27.5. The G170S does not feel too big for me and in fact I used to have a Medium G160S that actually had slightly longer reach on.

I'm intending to up the front travel to 170 or 180 and put a charger damper in the fork after I've ridden it for a bit to see if it actually needs it.

I'm worried I may have ordered a size too large, at least partly because of the seat post height. Any current owners have anything to say?

PS. Slightly Off Topic: I put my size into the Canyon Spectral:On size calculator yesterday...That told me I needed a Small !!!!!!!

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
So I had the same question but YT told me to order a large, I am also 5'10". I ride with another guy who has a decoy about my height and he has an XL but had his for a while now and I just got mine. He said mine feels a little more maneuverable being a large. As for me I cant tell a big difference between the L and XL but I dont have the seat time he does either. If you do anything other than DH bike park style I would get a large, but in the end you will get use to whatever you get and be fine.

P.S. Funny thing is when my bike got here the seat height was already set perfect for me, I didn't have to adjust it at all.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Thanks, I've had a look on Whyte's website as well and they suggest that I should be on a Medium G170 rather than the Large that I am riding so I'm going to assume that "size-up" logic holds true for the Decoy too and stick with the XL. It just feels odd opting for the XL when I'm only average height.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I’m between 5’11” and 6’ and I got an XL decoy 29. I kinda wish I went large. Actually I wish I went with the mullet to get more travel and a shorter rear end.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
UhOh, more doubt! I'm thinking about increasing the length of the fork (to 170) and apparently there's a spacer that you can take out of the shock to increase the stroke to 65mm (read that on Facebook so it may not be true) which in theory would slacken the head-angle, I've also got 27.5mm wheels from the G170S I can slot in to see how the mullet works.

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
I got the XL mullet and am 6'1", it feels good. When I was comparing bikes, YT turned out to often be 1 size bigger than the competitors. A friend of mine is your size and has an L, he could have gone for an XL as well, both fit, but L is probably more agile.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
and now I'm caught by indecision because if I cancel my current order, then wait for refund and re-order the large. In which case, when would it arrive aaggghhhhhh!

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I was in between sizing XL and L (mullet). I decided to go with the L and couldn't be more happier. I am 5"11.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
and now I'm caught by indecision because if I cancel my current order, then wait for refund and re-order the large. In which case, when would it arrive aaggghhhhhh!

I would try asking them to switch the order to a large, instead of cancelling the order first.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
The website addresses that directly and says you can't change size, you have to cancel and reorder.
I've been out on my current bike this morning and decided a little longer reach is not an issue. The Height of the seat post might be but I'll have to wait and see, I can always take the 150mm post of my other bike but I just gotta wait and see on the height of the frame.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Ah I must missed that part when I ordered mine a few months back.. I still try and ask them if it was me.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Help!
I've ordered a Decoy Base 29er in XL, I'm 5ft 10inches tall with a 31inch inside leg. My current bike is a G170S which has a reach slap bang in the middle of the L and XL Decoy but it's a 27.5. The G170S does not feel too big for me and in fact I used to have a Medium G160S that actually had slightly longer reach on.

I'm intending to up the front travel to 170 or 180 and put a charger damper in the fork after I've ridden it for a bit to see if it actually needs it.

I'm worried I may have ordered a size too large, at least partly because of the seat post height. Any current owners have anything to say?

PS. Slightly Off Topic: I put my size into the Canyon Spectral:On size calculator yesterday...That told me I needed a Small !!!!!!!

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
I’m between 5’11” and 6’ and I got an XL decoy 29. I kinda wish I went large. Actually I wish I went with the mullet to get more travel and a shorter rear end.

..Me too. Im 6ft and sized 'up' to an XL following the sizing guide on the YT site.

4 months later with a big mix of riding (im not an expert at anything!) and i wished i had an L instead. On more technical, twisty and slower trails, the XL Decoy 29 feels like the Titanic.

I certainly dont regret the purchase, but i think i'm going to sell up xmas time and perhaps try a Comp or Shred but in L guise.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I'm 5'9" and ride large. My friend is a hair under 6' and rides large. We both fit the bike well. Mullet-style

Both of us run 170 forks in low.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Thanks all, food for thought.
Bike is en-route, I'll have to update after it's built up, theory is that upping the fork travel a little will shorten the reach as well but I'm intending to run it as it is for a bit first, apart from maybe putting a charger damper in.
Unless of course I build it and think "that is NOT going to work"

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Fingers crossed for you. I am 6ft and have a XL 29. Spot on. I have slammed the seat post and 170mm is perfect fully extended. I wouldn't want less than 170mm. I fear the bike will be too big for you OP but hope I am wrong. Whatever you don't try and convince yourself that "it will be OK" if you're not 100% comfortable.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
It's arrived and been built up. Side by side with my large G170 the quoted stats match up with the feel and have it right. It feels a just a little longer but only a tiny bit, not uncomfortable in the slightest. Seatpost when slammed feels like it's maybe 5mm to long when riding on around on the supplied flats, but I use SPDs normally so that should be fine.
Bars feel low, I run a 38mm riser on the 170 so I might move that over and my eventual plans to up the front travel to at least 160mm should help as well.
That's all from zipping around outside the house, it certainly didn't feel cumbersome or like a boat. First trail ride should be this weekend and should be fun ?.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Good to hear. You can lower the seat by 5mm if you remove the rubber bung at the base of the seat post, if that has been fitted. Or perhaps find a lower profile saddle.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
First trail ride report, Didn't feel cumbersome in the slightest. Bloody hard work to pop the front up over stuff but I think I'm going to prefer that over a regular bike as that resulted in me being less tentative about it.
I was able to get around some pretty tight rooty, loose switchbacks.

All in all, very happy. I had to take it a bit easy as I was still running on tubes due to my rimpacts and sealant not having arrived. They're now installed so I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow, although my 170mm air-spring might also arrive :cool:

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
It sure is a great bike for the money. Probably the best you can buy for £4k.
OP, mine came with no grease whatsoever in the headset...

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Cheers, I'll have to check on that.
One unexpected expense was a new bike carrier! The XL Decoy is not only too long to fit on my current one the ratchet strap clamp thing (it's a Buzzrack) won't go around the downtube and doesn't reach the top tube ?‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles