New Bike Time

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Hi All,

The company I work for are considering increasing the cyclescheme allowance from the current £2000 to potentially as high as £4500, so it's hopefully going to be new eBike time!

I've been having a bit of a look around, and from when I last looked about 18 months ago everything has gine up quite a bit, along with availability seeming to be a nightmare right now!

My typical usage is likely to be mainly steady trails such as Sherwood Pines and Cannock, with the odd trip to the likes of Dalby, but I'm unlikely to even visit the likes of BPW etc, so don't need/want anything too DL focused.

If I had £2500 - £4500 to spend on a new bike around the end of April, what would you guys recommend, both in terms of something that might be available relatively quickly, and/or what would be worth waiting for (potentially the rest of the year!)?

After initial look, the stand out to me looks to be the Focus Jam2 6.7 Nine (£3,999), but I would seemingly need to wait until next year to get it!

Thanks,

Mark

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the two problems you have are firstly availability - so just deciding what you want might not get you what you want and secondly, the same question has been asked numerous times over the last few weeks so most of the answers are already there for you to read.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Having the money to spend isn't the issue - Zimmer has hit the nail on the head! Availability is a massive restriction at the moment, even for spares...

Also you're asking about a particular bike. Not everyone has experience of it. There is a specific Focus section, maybe have a trawl around there to see what sort of opinions are expressed.

You may will have to be flexible on what you want and can get hold of though...

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
My partner had three orders cancelled until finally after ages searching we found a single small Turbo Levo at Tredz; it was the only small eMTB in stock at that time! So it took us four months to get one. Good luck! By the way I have a Cube Stereo hybrid 625 and it was about £3200 I think. I absolutely love it. The Focus looks lovely too.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
When do people recon availability will improve? I thought things would have recovered a little by now, but it seems not.

Still, probably a good thing to stop me buying a new bike I don't need!

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Indeed - seems like a catch-22 for those of us trying to use cycle to work schemes due to the vouchers only lasting a specific time period!

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
My local shop has plenty of Merida stock, limited on other brands. They also do the Cycle to Work scheme... Might be worth a call to discuss.

Thanks Tony. Quite a trek for me (see what I did there!!), but close to my old stomping ground (I was born in Burnley). Worthwhile trip if stock is available.

Just need to get confirmation of the value that the company are going to allow for cyclescheme, wait for our options window to finish and then hope that anywhere has any bikes left in stock!

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
I'm actually going to be heading up the M6 this Saturday, so have dropped them an email to see if they have any of the eOne-Sixty or eOne-Forty's in the showroom I can swing a leg over.....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Blokie, just spotted this! Remember me? I bought a Focus Jam2 so I'm biased. But I believe that the Jam2 will be a good fit for what you are looking for. But as others have said, your problem is going to be getting your hands on one.

JE James in Sheffield are stockists, as are Rutland Cycling at Whitwell. Make yourself known to them and keep ringing regularly. You never know, they may get a surprise delivery, or maybe a cancellation!

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Hi Blokie, just spotted this! Remember me? I bought a Focus Jam2 so I'm biased. But I believe that the Jam2 will be a good fit for what you are looking for. But as others have said, your problem is going to be getting your hands on one.

JE James in Sheffield are stockists, as are Rutland Cycling at Whitwell. Make yourself known to them and keep ringing regularly. You never know, they may get a surprise delivery, or maybe a cancellation!

Thanks Steve. Long time no see :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve. Long time no see :)
I've had my Jam2 for over two years now and never regretted buying it for a single minute. I have no plans to change it because I cannot think what I might get instead. It is still working perfectly. Mine is a size large 29er if you want a test ride to confirm your choice before splashing the cash.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I'm actually going to be heading up the M6 this Saturday, so have dropped them an email to see if they have any of the eOne-Sixty or eOne-Forty's in the showroom I can swing a leg over.....

As far as I am aware they have both. They certainly have a number of 160s in and I think they have the 140 700 in M same as I bought my wife...

They are closed all day Wednesday so you might not get a response until Thursday...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles