New Bike Options - Help me make my choice

Which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Right so I've been looking for a new bike for some months now and now the Privateer has been launched, it completes my list.
So my list has pro's and con's and I have reasons behind my coices but also happy to listen to other peoples suggestions.
I ride Surrey hills, Wales and everywhere in between (Except the peak district because i like flow and tree's and single-track ;) )
I'm not a big sender so i don't feel i need a big travel bike like the Pole or the Privateer, but their value is hard to ignore.
The new Heckler being withdrawn from sale is a worry as that was my No1 choice, that said i do like a change.

So The suggestion part, I'm not interested in a Specialized/Cannondale/Whyte/Cube/Canyon Just cant bring myself to own one. but other than that i'm listening. The Crestline would be ideal but no support here in Blighty.
1688562090495.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Only you could have this listed in the Positives :)

1688624301076.png

Obviously, most people like their bikes and are generally happy with them, but at the same time choosing can be a very personal thing.

We all also have our own feelings and experiences which would influence our choices. Looking at your list I only see the wild and the pole. I wouldn't touch anything with a Shimano motor unless there was no other choice. I'm also not a fan of the Giants either, their proprietary electrical choices and how they feck around with updates would make it a no no for me. Plus they're generally not overly attractive and being over 50, I'd worry I'd end up with a chip on my shoulder about my decision and become another Giant extremist cult member - needing to tell everyone all the time that Giant is the best, even if the conversation was about peeling potatoes, testicular cancer (just for clarity, there is no correlation between those two examples) or just randomly telling people at funerals.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Orbea Wild. Love my Rise or the new Whyte with Bosch sx would be very interesting. Not a fan of Giant & after reading people’s warranty woes with them a big No.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Only you could have this listed in the Positives :)

View attachment 119591

Obviously, most people like their bikes and are generally happy with them, but at the same time choosing can be a very personal thing.

We all also have our own feelings and experiences which would influence our choices. Looking at your list I only see the wild and the pole. I wouldn't touch anything with a Shimano motor unless there was no other choice. I'm also not a fan of the Giants either, their proprietary electrical choices and how they feck around with updates would make it a no no for me. Plus they're generally not overly attractive and being over 50, I'd worry I'd end up with a chip on my shoulder about my decision and become another Giant extremist cult member - needing to tell everyone all the time that Giant is the best, even if the conversation was about peeling potatoes, testicular cancer (just for clarity, there is no correlation between those two examples) or just randomly telling people at funerals.
Glad I'm so predictable! ;)
Yeah the Giants are a weird thing, I'm not overly excited by them and almost in the same category as the Specialized in the way of being a bit too mainstream for me? but the spec cant be ignored for the money and the electronic suspension peaks my interest a little.

I also might go back to Crestline to get a quote, I have a Bosch service centre near me and thats the main issue i'm guessing???

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
NOT Shimano.
Get the biggest battery.
You listed a negative of the Pole as ‘offensive’…….comping from you, that is rich indeed……..

You ride with three mates who ride the Levo, you KNOW it’s a good bike and has all the distance you will need and you have a local Spesh dealer for motor support……..

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
NOT Shimano.
Get the biggest battery.
You listed a negative of the Pole as ‘offensive’…….comping from you, that is rich indeed……..

You ride with three mates who ride the Levo, you KNOW it’s a good bike and has all the distance you will need and you have a local Spesh dealer for motor support……..
The Pole is offensive to look at, the grooved finish makes me twitch and the single swing arm reminds me too much of Orange, that said the price to spec ratio is really good but again i dont need anything with such big travel.

Spesh = Wonky and Dull.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Pole is offensive to look at, the grooved finish makes me twitch and the single swing arm reminds me too much of Orange, that said the price to spec ratio is really good but again i dont need anything with such big travel.

Spesh = Wonky and Dull.
They do a more trail orientated shorter travel voima now.

RiderOnTheStorm

Yes, The ransom is too big travel, and the Patron is fantastic on paper, but its uglier than an Orange 5!
I personnaly ride a Scott eRide Strike. I think Scott's design, build quality and component selection are of outstanding value, especially considering the great pricing. They come with the excellent bosch engine and are fun to ride!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I personnaly ride a Scott eRide Strike. I think Scott's design, build quality and component selection are of outstanding value, especially considering the great pricing. They come with the excellent bosch engine and are fun to ride!
Only thing with the Strike is i'd have to upgrade everything. Much better looking bike than the Patron.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Spending that kind of money what about an Sworks Levo 2022 the spec is amazing seeing them with discounts for a while now just a thought. Also on vote what about none of the above and having suggestions.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nothing with a Shitmano motor. Nothing with a shit warranty so that’s Giant, Cube and Haibike out for sure. What’s Orbea’s warranty like? The Wild kind of peaks my interest.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Your options are all over the place.

You should clarify what you really want and narrow it down to 2 bikes at most (Enduro vs Trail vs SL).

My enduro pick in your list would be the Wild M Team and my trail pick would be the Trance X ADV E+1.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not interested in a Rail?

Isn’t the Wild 20.9kg with a 500 battery (that’s actually 484),not the625/750?

The best handling FF I’ve ridden was the Bullitt. Primarily because it was the best specced and lightest FF I’ve ever ridden. The ride up though was spoilt by the motor. Riding solo it was ok but riding alongside other FF really emphasised how weak the EP8 is.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
If I could only pick from your list, it would be the Orbea Wild. But it has the potential to rattle on the downs cause of the Bosch motor. Pole would be second choice, but same motor issue.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Ok, throw out the everything you dont get a mild chubby for. When spending that much cash you might as well buy something you like rather than purchased because it was cheap.

Next throw out the long travel bikes.
You are a flow and single track guy. Buy the bike that suits your terrain best.

That pretty much leaves the heckler......

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ok, throw out the everything you dont get a mild chubby for. When spending that much cash you might as well buy something you like rather than purchased because it was cheap.

Next throw out the long travel bikes.
You are a flow and single track guy. Buy the bike that suits your terrain best.

That pretty much leaves the heckler......
With a Shimano motor, you're surely having a laugh!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Thanks all, Some serious points in there.
I don't have an issue with the Shimano, and you're right i should just remove the long travel options.
Shorter travel Pole, I'll have another look. (Is it less offensive?)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles