• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

new bike advice: Pivot Shuttle vs SantaCruz Heckler vs Rocky Mountain Powerplay

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Hey guys.
Starting researching a new ebike as the prices now are really great! And would like some recommendations or your thoughts 🙏

I currently ride a 2020 Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay (150 back, 170 front). Althought it's a quite dated geo on 27.5, it feels kinda right for my riding (I like tight trails, gnarly steep technical downhills and enjoy rock/"trialsy" features.
Something i don't like is the bike is quite heavy and slow feeling, so would maybe like something more snappy. And the old battery really sucks. I'm a bit biased to Rocky Mountain as I absolutely love my analog Altitude. But am also intrigued to try something new, especially on a Bosch CX motor.

Preferences
  • bigger battery 720Wh, removable if possible
  • motor preference order:
    1. Bosch CX
    2. Dyname from Rocky
    3. Shimano
  • still prefer a brand sold through a LBS to get good aftersales support
  • short cranks for good clearance
I have narrowed it down to these so far...
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct (either leave as is or my LBS offers to rebuild to Altitude specs)
    + expect to have similar feel to my analog Altitude, which I love
    + seems it has one of the best ranges
    + love the Jumbotron display and controller
    + I kinda like the analog sound of the motor more than the electric whining, also zero rattling noise...
    - long cranks, problematic to get under 165, zero overrrun of motor which i really like on the Bosch
    - already a three year old design

• Pivot Shuttle AM
    + Bosch - love the power delivery and overrun, feels more refined and modern than Rocky. Also clean look with new display and wireless remote
    - non-removable battery
    - can only afford the lowest spec, which has 625Wh, compared to 750wh on the expensive ones 🤦‍♂️

• Pivot Shuttle LT
    + from reviews seems still nimble and fun with 170 travel. so probably the most wellrounded bike for my riding
    + huge 756Wh removable battery
    - not excited about Shimano motor, seems it doesn't have the newest EP801 motor

• Santa Cruz Heckler
    + from tech spec sheets seems significantly lighter than most, seems nible and fun from reviews
    + suprisingly huge discounts

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I demo'd a Heckler around 18 months ago and loved it. Very nimble and easy to manoeuvre through technical features, plus climbed exceptionally well. The only reason I didn't buy it was due to the cost difference ~ +£4k vs other bikes with same level of spec.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
I demo'd a Heckler around 18 months ago and loved it. Very nimble and easy to manoeuvre through technical features, plus climbed exceptionally well. The only reason I didn't buy it was due to the cost difference ~ +£4k vs other bikes with same level of spec.
thnx, did also try the Bullit?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Another thing to consider is the drivetrain. Personally I would not go with a cable actuated derailleur ever again. Eagle AXS (transmission or regular AXS) would be a must-have spec for me.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
yeah that would be the option only on the santa cruz.. but I’m not convinced that I need it - I’m on my third derallieur in past 2 years. not sure I want expensive parts making me think too much about whether to send a feature or not :)

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Right on. I was also checking the Orbea Wild out, also the new Propain Ekano.
However neither of these two offer any good prices now, so they're either on par with price&spec or below the "premium" brands such as Santa, Pivot or Rocky. Thinking also of resell value, I suppose these will hold better than Orbea or Propain?

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
I would fix up your current bike ride it for a while and review options in another year or 2. I have toyed with the idea of a new bike but I keep telling myself I have a bike and until something comes along that is ground breaking tech like regen or I don't know what, I will keep mine.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
I would fix up your current bike ride it for a while and review options in another year or 2. I have toyed with the idea of a new bike but I keep telling myself I have a bike and until something comes along that is ground breaking tech like regen or I don't know what, I will keep mine.
Was thinking similarly, but I have the old gen Rocky Mountain Altitude on 27,5 front and rear. Compared to my new analog Altitude, I really like the new geo and 29s.
Also the battery does only around 700meters climbing, so can't keep up with my mates...

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
Hey guys.
Starting researching a new ebike as the prices now are really great! And would like some recommendations or your thoughts 🙏

I currently ride a 2020 Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay (150 back, 170 front). Althought it's a quite dated geo on 27.5, it feels kinda right for my riding (I like tight trails, gnarly steep technical downhills and enjoy rock/"trialsy" features.
Something i don't like is the bike is quite heavy and slow feeling, so would maybe like something more snappy. And the old battery really sucks. I'm a bit biased to Rocky Mountain as I absolutely love my analog Altitude. But am also intrigued to try something new, especially on a Bosch CX motor.

Preferences
  • bigger battery 720Wh, removable if possible
  • motor preference order:
    1. Bosch CX
    2. Dyname from Rocky
    3. Shimano
  • still prefer a brand sold through a LBS to get good aftersales support
  • short cranks for good clearance
I have narrowed it down to these so far...
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct (either leave as is or my LBS offers to rebuild to Altitude specs)
    + expect to have similar feel to my analog Altitude, which I love
    + seems it has one of the best ranges
    + love the Jumbotron display and controller
    + I kinda like the analog sound of the motor more than the electric whining, also zero rattling noise...
    - long cranks, problematic to get under 165, zero overrrun of motor which i really like on the Bosch
    - already a three year old design

• Pivot Shuttle AM
    + Bosch - love the power delivery and overrun, feels more refined and modern than Rocky. Also clean look with new display and wireless remote
    - non-removable battery
    - can only afford the lowest spec, which has 625Wh, compared to 750wh on the expensive ones 🤦‍♂️

• Pivot Shuttle LT
    + from reviews seems still nimble and fun with 170 travel. so probably the most wellrounded bike for my riding
    + huge 756Wh removable battery

• Santa Cruz Heckler
    + from tech spec sheets seems significantly lighter than most, seems nible and fun from reviews
    + suprisingly huge discounts
My Heckler is over 50lbs and for your riding style you might like the SC Bullit better but it’s still a shimano motor.

One of my riding buddies (and a LBS owner) rode a Bullit for the past three years and is now on an Orbea Wild. He prefers the new Wild and is loving the Bosch motor it has.

I’d consider the new Orbea Wild or Trek Rail if I was you. If you have the ability to sit on them or take them for a spin then you know that would be the best way to decide.

Philippe M

Feb 26, 2023
California
really? what motor did you come from? was it better with the battery consumption?
I came from Orbea Rise SL. EP800 RS with 360 wh. Had to get range extender. Bosch is interesting. Not comapatable with Garmin Head Unit. I'll need to swith over to Bosch head unit to get range and good battery level feed-back from the 'smart system'. Looking into new Purion 200. So there is a trade off. Study carefully. Bosch cx is great motor. But I'm having to learn a new system from scratch. Bosch Flow is very helpful. So that has been my experience so far.

Philippe M

Feb 26, 2023
California
As an after thought to the last reply.. it would be great if we (emtbforum) could collectively submit what we're using for power levels for each different motor and range results. I understand riding style and terrain may effect results. But it would help to communicate a starting point for the different systems.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
yeah that would be the option only on the santa cruz.. but I’m not convinced that I need it - I’m on my third derallieur in past 2 years. not sure I want expensive parts making me think too much about whether to send a feature or not :)

I haven't replaced a single AXS derailleur in a couple years. I used to go through XTR derailleurs like chains.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
well then of course there are the new sram bikes starting to pop up like the Propain Ekano 2 or Transition Repeater PT.. which look amazing..

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
For what it's worth, I factor in the ability to change battery's for really long or multiple day rides w/o electric. I'm looking at the Rocky compared to the Canyon Strive ON as the Wild, and others, don't have this ability.

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
Yeah It's super impressive how Rocky managed to have an exchangeable large battery, yet still having the bottom tube super slim!
I demoed the Pivot Shuttle AM and that has a fatter bottom tube, claiming they have the battery non-removable to make it slimmer..

Kootbiker

Mar 26, 2023
British Columbia Canada
In my area we have a group of five old guys that ride together every week. Two are newish(2023) Specialzed, one 2023 Devinci (Shimano ep8) and two Rocky Powerplays (Dyname). I can tell which buddy is behind me on the climbs by the sound of their motors.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles