• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Cleaning advice...? the bike not me personally :)

EvoKenevo

Jul 6, 2018
Eastbourne
Morning all, Hope you all had a good weekend? Wondered what you guys use to clean your bikes off with, from Motocross we have Muck off and Pro-green but is this ok to use on the bike? any areas I should pay particular attention to? avoid? pressure wash or just wash by hand? don't get me wrong its not filthy I just think it looks so good when clean, thanks :)

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
This time of year when it’s just dusty I use a bucket and sponge.
Normal cleaning rules for chain, groupset etc. Normal lube routine post wash, chain, cables etc.

I also use muckoff on my dirtbikes and MTBs, and will use muckoff on the Kenevo when the bike is dirty enough. I won’t be going near it with the pressure washer though, but you could if careful and from a distance. A hosepipe will suffice in my humble opinion.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
One thing I do is pay particular attention to the battery lead. Make sure the battery and the lead itself are clean and free from dirt, dust, contaminate. I use contact cleaner if required, spray type, and apply a tiny amount of electrical grease (name escapes me at the mo) to the outside of the connector to keep it waterproof. Silicone greas will do it, sparingly, and be careful not to get near the electrical connections. You’d have to keep an eye on it if changing batteries mid ride in soaking wet conditions, make sure the grease doesn’t loose viscosity and run when disconnected.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Firstly don’t jet wash - ever, and don’t spray water directly at the motor/connectors etc. Leave the battery in and make sure any charging ports etc closed, and the bike turned off.

Secondly I would use MTB specific cleaners, Muc off have just bought at an EMTB range but not sure if in shops yet.

I hose down the bike with a garden hose on the mist/low power setting, then spray down bike with muc off bike detergent, leave for a bit, then get the brushes out to shift off any grime, then hose down again. The Muc Off really effectively breaks down/makes easy to shift all the dust/mud /horse poo etc so negates needing to jet/power wash. All comes off easy when you brush down the bike.

Then I towel down, and I have a bike dryer which is basically a powerfull hairdryer, but doesn’t get too hot, and use that to get the water out of all the books and crannies.

Then I lube/grease etc as required.

EvoKenevo

Jul 6, 2018
Eastbourne
I noticed yesterday whilst out riding in the rain that my front brake was squealing like hell... I need to get that sorted as its so irritating!

Thanks for the cleaning suggestions chaps :)

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
There ya go

9A2E703F-F5AE-494E-8112-C0840266FCD5.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My cleaning regime for all my bikes is exactly the same and the bike's are all really clean (a lot of them live in the house) in about 5minutes.

Firstly I have an outdoor garden storage cupboard containing my bucket, brushes, lubes, washing liquid etc. next to this is a hot water hose with an adjustable pressure gun (this makes a massive difference, especially in winter) and a bike stand next to this for bikes to sit in to be washed. There's also an outdoor spotlight covering this area for night rides.
First I hose the bike down with HOT water to wet it and wash the worst of the mud off (Full blast). Yes. I avoid pointing it straight at any bearings and electrics
Squirt a decent sized blob of Tesco washing up liquid into a bucket containing a large soft bristled brush, a cassette brush and a get into everywhere bike brush and sponge. leave the hose gun in the bucket on full to lather it nicely.
As the bucket's filling I start brushing the entire bike with hot soapy water starting at the top giving every part and all the nooks and crannies a good brush/lather finishing with the tyres, spokes and drivetrain making sure to lather those up really well (especially on the cassette, chain/ring and tyres.
Rinse with HOT water, hose at a lower pressure in one hand while sponging with the other.
done! (well nearly... let it drip dry while getting a drink/snack

When nearly dry I wipe down the entire frame with an old rag and GT85 and re-lube the chain wiping any excess lube off with a rag. - this takes about a minute.
sometimes I'll silicone spray stanchions (fork, shock and seatpost). just a quick squirt and compress a few times wiping off excess.
On my carbon bikes I then take a duster and pledge over the frame - about another 30seconds. But they're worth it... *swish hair*

Have done exactly this for years and never had a problem or needed bike specific cleaning fluids of any sort. They're a waste of money. (A lot are just traffic film cleaner with a masive mark up). The E-bike specific cleaner above is a perfect example of this. £40??? hahahha... for the longevity of your £50 Ebike chain and £300 Ebike cassette Sir?

Leave the battery in your Ebike. The battery and connections are pretty well sealed from the weather so also pretty well sealed from washing your frame.
I've always left Garmins/GPS/lights/batteries ON my bikes while washing the bike after night rides too.

The other great thing about having a hot water hose is on really muddy rides I just hose all my kit while wearing it and stick it straight in the washing machine without half a ton of mud attached.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Pretty sure specialized say to leave the battery in to clean...

Perhaps they do, but it isn't something that I agree with. :)

EvoKenevo, if you don't mind waiting a while, Through #teamrutland and Rutland Cycles I am in the process of producing what I hope will be one of the most comprehensive articles written about cleaning, detailing and maintaining eMTBs. I had hoped to have had it finished and published online by now, but there have been a few delays.
Although many aspects of the article will be cross compatible between brands, it will initially cover both the Shimano and Bosch systems, and then over time expand to cover other brands as the opportunity arises. The article will cover hopefully every thing that you will ever need to know, plus some of the pitfalls.

By comprehensive, I mean comprehensive. Just a little taster with some low resolution photos.

cassette 2.JPG Damn one.JPG m1.JPG

d1.JPG h1.JPG c1.JPG

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Every manufacture i have dealt with has said to leave in the battery, up to you if you do or don't, but wouldn't recommend it as unless you know exactly what and how to cover terminal wise your average mtb'r is going to risk damaging their bike by doing that.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Battery terminals are just this, terminals, simple metallic contacts that don't care about water. With a cable behind that goes to the motor.

I would never leave the battery on the bike and never use direct water, just a humid rag to clean the battery.

The best way to dry the bike is to ride. So a good idea could be to wash it before going out rather than after.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I think that part of the reason they recommend to leave the battery is in cases where the battery forms part of the frame, diverting water away from internal components.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Battery terminals are just this, terminals, simple metallic contacts that don't care about water.

seems a bit weird worrying about getting water in your battery then.

Do you also never ride in the rain, ride around puddles and muddy bits when it's dry?

Reactions: Dax

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
seems a bit weird worrying about getting water in your battery then.

Do you also never ride in the rain, ride around puddles and muddy bits when it's dry?
I ride in the rain and on muddy terrain. I even have no remorse to immerge my motor a few seconds but I will never intentionally direct the hose on the battery.

It's not a problem to put water on an electrical contact. The issues come when there is stagnant humidity and that could arise if for some reason some water goes inside the battery. Battery which is much more than just an electrical contact.

diverting water away from internal components.
Which internal components?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea which bike you have @eFat or how much you ride it but the battery is a consumable just like all batteries are and as such has a finite (charge cycle) life. Mine (Shimano) has a two year warranty. Which seems reasonable.
If water get's into my Emtb's battery from light washing I'd say that battery is not fit for purpose.
So as it has that warranty. I can't say it worries me too much. But whatever gives you peace of mind.
One thing I do is always store the battery indoors in the warm and dry and make sure it's never left uncharged for much longer than the drive home from riding it.

Reactions: Dax

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why would water go in the battery when the battery and battery mount interface on an bike specifically designed to prevent water doing so? By removing the battery you are in effect taking out the part of the bike that is designed to stop water going where it shouldn't.

To put it simply washing an emtb is the same as washing a normal MTB, don't pressure wash it, don't force water into areas you should be doing it to, and dry it properly.

In my experience the biggest mistake to washing any bike is to leave residual water on parts, motorised or not. This is why i use a bike dryer, it get all the water out of all the places it like to hang about, without risking damaging anything. I wash my bike after every ride, which means my bike get washed at least 4 times a week, which means i have washed my emtb at least 50 times in the last 3 and a bit months with no issues.

Up until last year i did 20,000 miles per annum on my motorbike commuting into and around London, and the bike dryer was the most critical piece of equipment i had to keeping the motorbike form succumbing to wear and tear as part of the cleaning regime i needed to keep the motorbike running properly. I highly recommend one for an MTB.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Wow that's pretty plush! I just fitted the mira that I pulled out of the bathroom (I needed somewhere to shower while I fitted the new bathroom...)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
To put it simply washing an emtb is the same as washing a normal MTB
This!

ie. much nicer/easier with hot running water. ;)

@Doomanic Hoselock make hose adapters that fit most kitchen mixer taps if you have a window near your kitchen sink and somewhere you can wash your bike near there.

81F-aCBy-6L._SL1500_.jpg

and these style guns are ace for controlling the pressure. (can be done by pulling the trigger less/more as well as by adjusting the nozzle). and also locks on in needs be (filling the bucket).
s-l300.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thanks Gary. I hadn't considered one of those, mainly because my hot water pressure from the kitchen tap is more of a dribble than a flow. :(

What make is the gun?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks Gary. I hadn't considered one of those, mainly because my hot water pressure from the kitchen tap is more of a dribble than a flow. :(

What make is the gun?

If you have good mains pressure, you could use an electric shower mounted inside the house, plumb the outlet through the wall to an outside tap, should turn on and off when you open the tap. Alternatively maybe this is a good time to fit a combi or pressure balanced hot water tank ;)

Cheers for the reminder btw Doom, I'd forgotten how much nicer it is cleaning a bike with warm water :)

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
My cleaning regime for all my bikes is exactly the same and the bike's are all really clean (a lot of them live in the house) in about 5minutes.

Firstly I have an outdoor garden storage cupboard containing my bucket, brushes, lubes, washing liquid etc. next to this is a hot water hose with an adjustable pressure gun (this makes a massive difference, especially in winter) and a bike stand next to this for bikes to sit in to be washed. There's also an outdoor spotlight covering this area for night rides.
First I hose the bike down with HOT water to wet it and wash the worst of the mud off (Full blast). Yes. I avoid pointing it straight at any bearings and electrics
Squirt a decent sized blob of Tesco washing up liquid into a bucket containing a large soft bristled brush, a cassette brush and a get into everywhere bike brush and sponge. leave the hose gun in the bucket on full to lather it nicely.
As the bucket's filling I start brushing the entire bike with hot soapy water starting at the top giving every part and all the nooks and crannies a good brush/lather finishing with the tyres, spokes and drivetrain making sure to lather those up really well (especially on the cassette, chain/ring and tyres.
Rinse with HOT water, hose at a lower pressure in one hand while sponging with the other.
done! (well nearly... let it drip dry while getting a drink/snack

When nearly dry I wipe down the entire frame with an old rag and GT85 and re-lube the chain wiping any excess lube off with a rag. - this takes about a minute.
sometimes I'll silicone spray stanchions (fork, shock and seatpost). just a quick squirt and compress a few times wiping off excess.
On my carbon bikes I then take a duster and pledge over the frame - about another 30seconds. But they're worth it... *swish hair*

Have done exactly this for years and never had a problem or needed bike specific cleaning fluids of any sort. They're a waste of money. (A lot are just traffic film cleaner with a masive mark up). The E-bike specific cleaner above is a perfect example of this. £40??? hahahha... for the longevity of your £50 Ebike chain and £300 Ebike cassette Sir?

Leave the battery in your Ebike. The battery and connections are pretty well sealed from the weather so also pretty well sealed from washing your frame.
I've always left Garmins/GPS/lights/batteries ON my bikes while washing the bike after night rides too.

The other great thing about having a hot water hose is on really muddy rides I just hose all my kit while wearing it and stick it straight in the washing machine without half a ton of mud attached.
Correction Gary £17.70 for the cleaner not £40

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Correction Gary £17.70 for the cleaner not £40
Oh.. Well.. I stand corrected. It's £40 on the first Google hit (ebay). Not that it matters. My point is my bike cleaner is 79p from Tesco and you can get a massive container of traffic film cleaner for a quarter of the price of that "Ebike" cleaner. £17.70 is still ridiculous when there's no need to use anything different from whatever you wash your normal bike with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles