New 2021 debonair spring upgrade

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Any of you guys thinking of doing your lyriks? I dont have a problem with the negative airspring side of this modification as I travel mine every 30psi when pumping up anyway,but the riding higher in its travel sounds good,I think it’s only just been announced because I can’t find any stockiest yet.
6A544181-D3D2-4836-9C0A-466322133E29.jpeg

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I will do it next time I service the forks, for the price its a bit of a no brainer
Yep me too,TBH when I converted my 2018 lyriks on my nukeproof mega to debonair I remember “the suck” that they are talking about as the forks after sat at 10-12% sag after I did them without me on the bike instead of the 5%ish previous,

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I had something like this first time I serviced my Yaris. It was due to not having extended the air shaft fully before fixing the bottom bolts. This led to negative pressure in the lower legs.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Any of you guys thinking of doing your lyriks? I dont have a problem with the negative airspring side of this modification as I travel mine every 30psi when pumping up anyway,but the riding higher in its travel sounds good,I think it’s only just been announced because I can’t find any stockiest yet.
View attachment 28603

For sure doing this once I can get them ordered up.

My buddy with a Fox 36e is sad because unlike Rockshox, you can't upgrade to 2021 spec without buying a whole new fork - which understandably he won't.

Meanwhile for under $100 USD total (for both!) I can upgrade my 2019 eMTB Lyrik AND I can also upgrade my 2018 Lyrik on my non-eMTB, both to this latest 2021 C1 spec.

Thumbs up to Rockshox here :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
interesting upgrade.

Always thought the Lyrik sat too far into its travel. This is the exact same thing I had with the 160mm travel GLP2.

Also funny to see that a fork that won all the group tests for 2020 and had 10/10 ratings now has an issue that is being fixed ?

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Yeah, seems like it took RockShox about 5 years to figure this one out. I remember all the people saying "Oh, the transfer port is plugged with grease...that's what causes it". You took your fork apart, and that's what fixed it temporarily, you let the excess negative pressure escape.

You're like "I guess the transfer port was plugged...it seems OK now".

Then a few hours of use later, it's right back to "suck-down" mode.

Remember the zip tie trick?

I'm so glad they finally figured this out.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Part # for just the seal head and bottom nut is 00.4020.573.000. Part number your local bike shop will need is: RS573000 (per ZyroFisher in the UK). On back order with 8-12 weeks quoted - £26

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I got this new airspring in delivery today, I have to do a lower leg service on my Lyriks this weekend and will replace this airspring also. Manual says for assembly I can use Sram Butter or ROCK SHOX Dynamic Seal Grease (+ 3ml of oil in air chamber). Any suggestions which grease is better to use (I have both)?
Will also replace dust wiper seals with green SKF Low-friction ones, should I put full of SRAM butter in a seal groove or just a small quantity? Thanks!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sram butter.
and don't use as much on the new airshaft as the original airshaft comes installed with. They're normally well over greased from new.

just hook the butter under the wiper seal. not near the foamrings.
again, you don't need tons

RS Dynamic seal grease is for your shock seals. (but, yeah, you could use it on the airshaft)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You probably already know this, but just incase, remove your foamrings, (if re-using them spray with IPA, clean and thoroughly dry/dab drrt/excess IPA out). then leave them in the cup of oil while you clean the fork and change the shaft/seals. pressing on the foam while sat submerged will allow oil to absorb in well before replacing them. with new ones just put them straight into the cup and cover with oil. you can use this oil in a syringe as lower leg/shaft oil. a small cup of oil covering 2x foamrings is roughly the correct amount for both lower leg lubrication of one fork.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Internet hype at its best. Rockshox have released upgraded debonair air springs before too (2019) but made no fuss about them. How many did the upgrade back then?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How many did the upgrade back then?

Loads of folk. I've personally fitted quite a few for customers.
Internet hype at its best.
How is it hype?
Internals change slightly from year to year on many many forks and shocks.
And yes. Each years debonair air shafts have changed slightly. by creating a different pos vs negative air ratio it changes the air spring curve and therefore the characteristics of the forks travel, suppleness and support throughout the stroke. No one I'm aware of is "hyping" this.
All Rockshox information on the products simply state what the new debonair spring and the MegNeg achieve.

The new debonair seal head spacer actually solves the initail sag issue all older forks have. it's worth upgrading the seal head for this alone IMO. Whether you want a different air spring curve or pos/neg ratio or not. Which you still have the choice between.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO the 2020 was a big improvement over the 2019 (all though they where released in the previous years to their model years), I have both and IIRC it was pretty hyped up at the time across various media outlets, as they are every year when the hype machine kicks into gear.E.G

RockShox Lyrik Ultimate RC2 review - MBR

2020 RockShox PIKE and Lyrik Ultimate – small updates for big improvements | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

TBH I never noticed the 2019 dropping into its travel until the 2020 was announced, and when I decided to look into it, sure enough my fork was doing it - does it bother me? No, but when I next service it I will do they upgrade anyway, because its cheap enough to do.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and IIRC it was pretty hyped up at the time across various media outlets, as they are every year when the hype machine kicks into gear.E.G

Ah... I get you (and @Sherman) now.
I thought he meant Rockshox created hype.
Can't say I pay a whole lot of attention to mtb media hype. I'm far too long in the tooth.
Cheers for explaining.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles