Gianni

Sep 22, 2020
Ripatransone ITALIA
1608572741253.jpg

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Down a steepish bank riding Tombstone trail in Hanmer Springs, NZ. I was pinned by my own weight against those two spindly tree trunks, one at each shoulder. My bike, feeling sympathetic to my plight, came down on my back. I had to crawl down between the trees to free myself. One of the most fun trails in the region.
Don't worry, the bike is fine! ?

IMG_20201231_124105_786.jpg
IMG_20201230_142108_500.jpg

Richiep

Jan 2, 2021
Tamworth
I have a Rail 9.8XT arriving this month and wondered how you guys have got on with the Bontrager line elite dropper post in 170mm. Has it been reliable as am considering upgrading to maybe a Fox version?

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
I have a Rail 9.8XT arriving this month and wondered how you guys have got on with the Bontrager line elite dropper post in 170mm. Has it been reliable as am considering upgrading to maybe a Fox version?
I've had many of the Line & Line Elite droppers and never personally had issue with any of them. Out of the two, I really like the Line Elite remote compared to the entry-level one. However, most recently I've moved to OneUp posts...just to squeeze out the maximum amount of drop (180mm) available to me on my smaller sized frames.

Richiep

Jan 2, 2021
Tamworth
Thanks for your prompt reply that sounds reassuring to me. I can’t find any reviews for the Bontrager dropper so will take the leap of faith based on others experience. 170mm should be ample for me on a Large frame.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for your prompt reply that sounds reassuring to me. I can’t find any reviews for the Bontrager dropper so will take the leap of faith based on others experience. 170mm should be ample for me on a Large frame.
I have the Line Elite 170 on my Rail 9.8 that is just about to have its first birthday and has done 1,700km. No issues at all.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi all Rail owners
I'm (hopefully) getting my 9 at the end of the month........I'm sooooo exited!
Do you have any quick tips; any issues to be aware of? I'm moving from a Levo to the Rail and not sure how different they are to ride (I've never tried a Rail ?)

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti
Same here "no test ride" for rail 9.8, Orbea wild FS team, and pivot shuttle. All of them ride really well, I like the Orbea best, but we'd be splitting hairs for sure. My bikes break, sorry, I break bikes all the time. So spares are required, meaning; l may like one brand best but when my favorite is down, I love riding the others just as much.

The Rail keeps winning shoot outs for a reason, it's considered the best.

Warm Regards

Ruti

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Hi all Rail owners
Do you have any quick tips; any issues to be aware of? I'm moving from a Levo to the Rail and not sure how different they are to ride (I've never tried a Rail ?)
Keep on top of Bolt checks.
be aware if knock block breaks, fork crown may contact frame. People have added a CC +3 or +6 crown race with positive results.

Richiep

Jan 2, 2021
Tamworth
View attachment 52981
His & Her Rails, 9.8xt & 7
They look nice. The 9.8XT you have will be the same as mine when it arrives the end of March finally. Which rear hugger did you use to cover the both sides of the rear stay keeping the dropper and shock cleaner? Does it ride well. I have never owned an ebike but have ridden a Trek Remedy 9 for 5 years and am impressed with the brand and the bikes all round performance.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti
Same here "no test ride" for rail 9.8, Orbea wild FS team, and pivot shuttle. All of them ride really well, I like the Orbea best, but we'd be splitting hairs for sure. My bikes break, sorry, I break bikes all the time. So spares are required, meaning; l may like one brand best but when my favorite is down, I love riding the others just as much.

The Rail keeps winning shoot outs for a reason, it's considered the best.

Warm Regards

Ruti
Snow ride 8.5 miles "slip sliding away"

20210215_091746.jpg

Noanet Peak Dover Massachusetts USA

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Thanks Ruti & bluewater
Have either of you tried a Turbo Levo? I'm interested to see how different the Rail is?
no i have not unfortunately.
Also, you'll need some torx security bits for some of the bolts on the rail. T25 and T40 i know for sure. Just buy a set and it'll have the right sizes.
oh and a nice easy cheap upgrade is the bontrager hub poe upgrade. some pawls and spring is all you need.

Man of Finland

Dec 31, 2020
Finland
Hi all Rail owners
Make sure that the chain ring is tight (with Locktight). Mine came loose and the took a bite of the lower link.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
They look nice. The 9.8XT you have will be the same as mine when it arrives the end of March finally. Which rear hugger did you use to cover the both sides of the rear stay keeping the dropper and shock cleaner? Does it ride well. I have never owned an ebike but have ridden a Trek Remedy 9 for 5 years and am impressed with the brand and the bikes all round performance.
Hi @Richiep I used the FRX Mudhugger lower down to keep the rear suspension cleaner, works well and used the Medium rear Mudhugger to keep clean this winter.
These are our first Ebikes too so still getting to grips with them, they do ride really well very smooth going down, and very capable going up, we ride in the Peak quite a bit so makes the climbs more enjoyable now, good for longer days out.

We bought ours quite a distance from where we live so no Local bike shop to deal with but we use The Bike Garage in Hope, Peak district as he runs a fleet of Trek Rail hire bikes and is also a Bosch agent which is good for keeping on top of software updates and any servicing we require.

These are our first Trek bikes and have been impressed with the quality of the build of the Rails, only slight negative is the paint is not the toughest, we have invisiframed ours and can recommend this to save the carbon.

Richiep

Jan 2, 2021
Tamworth
Hi @Richiep I used the FRX Mudhugger lower down to keep the rear suspension cleaner, works well and used the Medium rear Mudhugger to keep clean this winter.
These are our first Ebikes too so still getting to grips with them, they do ride really well very smooth going down, and very capable going up, we ride in the Peak quite a bit so makes the climbs more enjoyable now, good for longer days out.

We bought ours quite a distance from where we live so no Local bike shop to deal with but we use The Bike Garage in Hope, Peak district as he runs a fleet of Trek Rail hire bikes and is also a Bosch agent which is good for keeping on top of software updates and any servicing we require.

These are our first Trek bikes and have been impressed with the quality of the build of the Rails, only slight negative is the paint is not the toughest, we have invisiframed ours and can recommend this to save the carbon.
Hi thanks for your useful tips. I have paid to have mine invisi framed too before I pick it up which should help preserve the paint and carbon as you mention. I also have ordered the bike a long way from home. Hopefully I won’t have any need to take it back as Wales is a 250 mile round trip. I plan to do some riding in the Peak District now I have some extra help uphill. Happy riding and I’ll look at the rear mud guard protection you mention. Did you go for a bolt on front mud guard too? Cheers Richard

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thanks Ruti & bluewater
Have either of you tried a Turbo Levo? I'm interested to see how different the Rail is?
I've ridden both. The Rail is a bit more aggressive and the motor feels punchier. The Levo has a bigger battery and the motor is more tunable but doesn't have EMTB mode.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Hi thanks for your useful tips. I have paid to have mine invisi framed too before I pick it up which should help preserve the paint and carbon as you mention. I also have ordered the bike a long way from home. Hopefully I won’t have any need to take it back as Wales is a 250 mile round trip. I plan to do some riding in the Peak District now I have some extra help uphill. Happy riding and I’ll look at the rear mud guard protection you mention. Did you go for a bolt on front mud guard too? Cheers Richard
I went with the Mudhugger shorty for the front, it’s simple and does the job but I’m not totally sold on it so think I’ll try and get the Zeb bolt on one for summer, the mudhugger bolt on one was not available when I ordered mine last year.
Hope you enjoy your Rail when you get it I’m sure it will be worth the wait.
Don’t know if you have seen about putting a lanyard on the Kiox in case it comes off while you’re riding, hasn’t happened to me but some have had it happen, also if you can find a protective cover for the Kiox as where it is on the top tube it can get quite dirty.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I've ridden both. The Rail is a bit more aggressive and the motor feels punchier. The Levo has a bigger battery and the motor is more tunable but doesn't have EMTB mode.
Thank you Doomanic!! just what I wanted to hear.... now I'm even more excited but there's something in my head that says I won't get mine at the end of the month as the bike shop has stated and confirmed....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles