My name is Rob, and I'm an eBike rider...

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There. I'm out of the closet. I didn't even realize I was this way until a week ago.

Backstory: I'm 58 and have been mountain bike riding for years. I'm not at all bad--not as good as some, but better than most. In recent years on the trails, I've seen lazy people, fat people, and old people, far into the wilderness where they shouldn't be. They didn't earn the right to be there. I wanted no part of their ebike world.

Recently: A couple friends have been borrowing ebikes and telling me how fun they are. Then another buddy bought an Orbea Rise. Then a friend who is a former rider for one of the big brands bought a Rise. What is the world coming to?

I got curious, and last weekend I started studying bikes and shopping around. No one makes an ebike the exact specs that I thought would make the perfect ride, but within a day I found a Santa Cruz Heckler MX X01 RSV. Hmmm... That build checks about as many boxes as one could reasonably expect, so I threw down a pile of Benjamins on the counter, and drove off with my new bike.

Today was my third ride, and I've got to say I'm REALLY enjoying it. The bike handles better than my Ibis Mojo HD3, doesn't soak up hits as well, but carves like crazy and goes where I want it. Of course the big thing is the motor.

First ride was an easy one, just getting used to how the bike runs. Second ride was with more assistance than necessary--because I could and it's really funny to ride UP the rugged downhills. Today was more sensible. Climbing up super-steep sections with obstacles that were formerly difficult are now easy. On some familiar technical downhills, I clocked some excellent times. As of right now, I'm seeing no down side. These eBike contraptions just might be here to stay.

IMG_1803.jpeg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l am similar to you, did around 13,000 miles on regular MTB over the last few years

Finally caved in and bought an Ebike, have never looked back....been out on it almost every day.

Even with only an hour of spare time after work, l can manage a 15 mile loop that would normally be out of reach.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Today I cleaned up both the new Heckler and my older Ibis Mojo HD3. I took the Ibis for spin up and down the street. The immediate impression it's insanely light and that it's running in Eco mode. I'll not be getting rid of the acoustic bike just yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles