Multiple emtbs ?

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
I am mulling over fueling my new enjoyment of riding an emtb over my analogue bikes by buying a second emtb. However I am not sure how much I would use a second bike.

How many people own more than one emtb, how different are they, do you use both regularly or tend to use one ?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I can see an e-quiver with a niche for a full-fat eMTB (for rides that you need to conserve your propulsive energy for, eg. epics) and another for a lightweight eMTB (for rides that would benefit more from the greater tossability). And an eFat, if that's relevant to you.

But really, I think eMTBs actually renders moot a major reason why we had quivers in the past: suspension sucked up energy, and so we generally opted for the least that still worked for the given style of riding. eMTB power assistance allows you to carry enduro-level suspension everywhere, all day.

That, and the fact that no eMTB is going to feel like a race hardtail in the low-20lb range. But maybe an eGravel bike?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have two EMTBs - a KTM Macina town bike and a Specialized Kenevo. Four years ago I persuaded my (somewhat reluctant) wife to try out a town Ebike. I had tried out a EMTB hardtail and was really impressed on road, less so off-road - at 20kph on the flat I felt that one simply got bounced around too much. At that time, full sus EMTBs were relatively rare, heavy and expensive. My wife was so impressed that she insisted that we buy two bikes on the spot. I have since done over 4000k on the KTM and found it more useful than I imagined; shopping, going for a drink (fine to pedal in normal clothes and not arrive sweaty), going to work, touring and rides with my wife. Since my current MTB was getting on and was out of date, I was due for a change anyway and after much research bought a Kenevo three years ago and have now done over 3000k on it, mainly on local single track, a lot of which is steep and technical. The bikes are very different and I’m pleased with both. Of course the KTM is horrible off road (although gravel is fine), but on the other hand, riding back last night after a drink in the pouring rain I really appreciated the mudguards and excellent lights of the KTM. I realise I’m lucky but it is a huge advantage having both bikes totally fit for purpose. Incidentally, with the deals I got, the cost of both bikes was less than some top of the range EMTBs!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I forgot to mention that when I bought my Kenevo, we also bought a Levo (the older 2018 version) for my wife. She is quite a timid off road rider but finds the supple suspension and grippy tyres re-assuring. Although it is small, I can ride it and in fact find it surprisingly good, more nimble than my Kenevo and despite having much less travel, the suspension works really well. It also gives my a spare bike if and when my Kenevo is off the road (when motor was replaced and seat post repaired) and a spare battery that I can carry for really long rides. So, actually you need three bikes; main off-road bike, a spare for when the main one is broken and a town bike. It’s an expensive game!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My wife has a trek hardtail , I have a trek rail 9 . It’s great to have the same battery and motor in each bike . I end riding with her on easy trail rides with some road thrown in , the hardtail is much better for that and Iam looking at second set of wheels for my rail for these rides . So yes it would be good to have an all purpose hardtail to sit next to the enduro .
I always had one if each with non ebikes , and still have a non e hardtail I often use .

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I have a Whyte e160rs for group rides and a Levo SL for solo. The Whyte gets more use but I probably get more satisfaction from riding the SL.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Had 2 for a while - Shimano powered Scott and a Levo. Only reason I got the Levo was for the 700Wh battery. Preferred the handling of the Scott to the Spesh and really liked the Shimano motor. Just 1 Scott at the moment - with the Bosch motor. Thinking of a Cheeb but will wait a couple years and see if reliabilty improves.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have a four eMTB's currently and an eGravel bike. Two full sus full fat. One eZesty and a full fat hardtail. I was going to sell my e160-900 when I got the newer 9000 but my girl and my son both ride it. They all get ridden although my e160-9000 is my main ride.

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
With the used prices for emtbs being what they are, I expect that when it comes time to get another, I will end up with two. I would rather let my grandson use it than sell it for buttons.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
With the used prices for emtbs being what they are, I expect that when it comes time to get another, I will end up with two. I would rather let my grandson use it than sell it for buttons.

I thought second hand prices were really strong due to the fact new stock is so limited?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought second hand prices were really strong due to the fact new stock is so limited?
Maybe for relatively recent bikes, but my 2019 model is already two years and 4 months old and I have no current intention to replace any time soon; I've just fitted a new shock! I reckon by the time the bike is 4 years old, it will be worth far more than what I can get for it.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Too many
A folding bike to put in the boot when I need to leave the car at the garage, or to go for a quick shop.
A hybrid bike for touring
A recumbent trike to couple with my husband's trike to force him to get out of his armchair
A non e-bike (gravel bike)
An electric conversion to lend to people when they are house sitting.
And now I know I'm barking mad, I've just pulled the trigger on another recumbent trike for touring.
Two trailers,one for touring or shopping and one to take the rubbish to the end of the drive. (well, it is 800metres.) Another one on the way for the dogs.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I have the Voodoo Zobop & a Scott e Spark 910. When my Fiancée visits at the weekend we go for a ride out.
I made the mistake of letting her try the Scott. I've been relegated :ROFLMAO:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
if you buy two e bikes they last twice as long ?

I need to buy another soon for the sake of the first.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have a Levo Comp and a Whyte E180 RS. It provides the comfort that if one of them is awaiting a repair I still have a bike but the reason I bought the Whyte ( Levo was my original bike) was more to do with differences in terrain. The Levo is an absolute jack of all trades and a brilliant trail bike, but even with the mods I have done there is a limit to its gravity capability and that is where the Whyte scores. So I pick which bike to ride depending on the ride I am going to do.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Trek Rail 9.8 for off road. GT Avalanche with a 500W Bafang BBS-02 conversion for riding to work, the pub, the shops, down to the beach for a swim, general hooning around town, suburbancross!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
yes, I'll probably set mine up for urban / explorer / commuter / trailer duties with those schwalbe johnny watts (dual sport) tyres in 2.6 :)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I currently have a YT Decoy, and also a Commencal Meta SX on order. Enjoy mountain ebiking so much that I'm paranoid something will go wrong with the Decoy and that I will have to wait months for a replacement part (motor, frame, battery, etc). Will rotate bikes. Also helpful to have two bikes if one bike needs to go to the bike store for some work.

I also have a YT Tues for the bike park, but might end up selling that and using the Meta with the 180 fork for the bike park.

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
Got a foldable e commuter that I bought to save on tram fares to and from the park and ride in my town ( Chinese Miirider lookalike) that cost £300 off an old dear brand new ,surprisingly good for taking the dog out in the woods as it folds really small and stows in the boot, also have an E-160s for epic days out and fun in the woods

Billyc

Jun 21, 2020
Chichester
I am mulling over fueling my new enjoyment of riding an emtb over my analogue bikes by buying a second emtb. However I am not sure how much I would use a second bike.

How many people own more than one emtb, how different are they, do you use both regularly or tend to use one ?

Do it - I have a YT Decoy Elite fire aggressive, gravity focused days and then have just sold my Levo Expert I used for trail riding and have ordered a Merida eOne Sixty which I’ll use for more casual rides. Also means any of your mates without a bike can join you!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
It’s interesting how many of us have a “spare” or at least a second bike to make sure we’re not without a bike for a while. It says something about the reliability of ebikes. I notice that people are asking ridiculous prices for second hand ebikes. Anyone who does a bit of research knows that both batteries and motors fail and even if they don’t they have a finite life span. Ebikes are also hard on all the other components so there are other expenses to consider as well. So, buying an ebike out of warranty potentially risks being landed with a bill for £500 to £1000. This is not a risk one has to take with a normal bike, nor to the same extent with a decent second hand motorbike or car. Until there is a general expectation of ebikes lasting at least 10,000k then the second hand market for ebikes looks risky and potential battery/motor failure has to be priced in. Final issue is that ebikes are improving rapidly, and so a three year old bike can begin to look seriously outdated, especially battery life. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my four ebikes eventually but I’m not anticipating getting much for them when I need to make room in my shed for the latest and greatest!

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
I have 2 a Levo carbon comp and just aquired an orbea rise ones a tank, the other a ballet dancer

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

I've got 4 and the 22 Turbo Levo pro is on the way. If you want to ride everyday (it's better than an apple a day) think; backup bikes! Orbea down for three weeks waiting for brake pads, yesterday the shifter went out on the Trek rail.... fortunately got brakes pads so the Orbea is in the "soon to be broken again" rotation queue. I'm 66 I've got more money than years left to ride, you know.... you have to prioritize.

Warm Regards Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles