Mullet Setup Effect on Range

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
So, I have for over a year now had two Levo Comps that are extremely similar with the exception of one being setup "mullet" with 27.5 in the rear.

Riding characteristics aside (and personally I do prefer the quicker spin up and more playful feel of the 27.5,) I have actually noticed what I believe to be considerably (up to 20%) longer range on the mullet bike.

This surprises me as the full 29" is actually a carbon version and about 5 lbs lighter overall than the one setup mullet. But, on ride after ride and comparing rides back to back the mullet leaves me more in the eTank.

One other possible (but potentially big) factor I will mention is that although I have tried to simulate near similar modes during these rides I admit that the 27.5" is easier to run in the lowest assist mode (again, assist modes being the same in the Spec app on both bikes.) So, I do typically spend more time in lower assist modes when riding the mullet which is something I'd also be interested in hearing other's experiences about.

So, what is your experience? I can only mostly attribute it to maybe the rolling mass of the 27.5...less energy to spin up etc. (climbs, quick bursts, etc.) although you'd think that would be somewhat offset by the 29" rear being better at maintaining momentum in other scenarios. The rear 29" is not a light wheel but neither is the mullet setup one...both alloy, similar tires etc. I do a LOT of climbing here in CO...3000-5000' elevation over 20-30 mile rides are common.

With the exception of the carbon frame all else is the same between these two bikes including both being 700w, motor threshold setups in Spec app, firmware versions, drivetrains etc. (Although I have found I can also get away with like an 11-43 (32T stock front) easier on the mullet setup which I like.)

Interested to see if anyone else has found this to be the case? Not so much on your preference but on range. Thanks!

Maybe it's as simple as rolling weight taking less energy or enabling me to use a lower assist mode more with all the climbing I do...?

Last edited:

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Only thing I have found really effected range was tyre choice, very surprised at how noticeable it was switching from a Soft Butcher to a Medium Purgatory on the back, very obvious increase in range.

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Only thing I have found really effected range was tyre choice, very surprised at how noticeable it was switching from a Soft Butcher to a Medium Purgatory on the back, very obvious increase in range.
Yes, that IS a good point for sure. I have experienced that too. Harder compound and/or PSI does make a noticeable difference in range. And overall width and weight as well although on an e-bike you have to find that balance (on the rear) or, at least for me, you'll pound rims and get flats like crazy. I've been good with DH or DD casings. Was going to try an insert but so far the firmer casings are working (and not running too low of PSI.)

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Even on my e-bike, maybe because mine is a mid-power, I still give some thought to rolling resistance of the tires.

It not only effects range, but also can affect suspension performance, acceleration, ability to carry momentum (especially after the speed cut off) and operation with the motor off when the need arises.

Obviously not as much consideration as you might give on a pedal bike, but I don't run DH Assagais F & R either.

Reactions: GL1

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles