Effect of 29 inch wheels

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have two bikes, a 2018 Kenevo and a 2022 Orbea Rise, so more or less one bike for technical downhill and bike parks, the other for cross country, with a much longer range. Despite being best at what they are designed for, the Kenevo is fine on cross country rides and the Rise manages pretty well on more gnarly terrain. Although the Rise has 40mm less travel than the Kenevo, I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the Rise copes and wonder how much this is due to the 29 inch wheels. I wonder whether the effect of 29 inch wheels compared to 27 can be equated to some millimetres of suspension?

r

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
You mean a difference on performance or a difference on comfort?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I meant improved ride, which I guess improves both performance and comfort. It’s well known that bigger wheels makes a bike roll over small bumps better, tracking the ground better, improving grip but also not throwing the bike around so much, improving comfort. Because of these factors, I wondered if one has larger wheels one can have less suspension (which might give greater support) with the same level of comfort and performance. Mullets are quite popular now but if one chooses this should one have or need more suspension on the rear to compensate for smaller wheel.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Mullets are quite popular now but if one chooses this should one have or need more suspension on the rear to compensate for smaller wheel.
Only if you want the bike to feel like a complete plank of wood!
I've only ridden a 29'er once..same with a mullet set up..and while it's true that both bikes " smoothed out the ride" ..it felt like they had lost something ( fun) compared to a 27.5 set up

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
Both fun but a different kind of fun. a 27 is playfull and needs 1-2 cm. more travel to be as stable while the 29 is more speed kind of fun. i have a mullet levo but tried a ransom eride and thought i would hate the 29 rear wheel. it was faster out of burms and corners and i lovet it! also more travel i know. it needed more “manhandling” in tight corners but i like that ;-)

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Hello
I have 17000 km with 29x2.6 front and rear, for me it is perfect with Eliminator Grid Gravity 2Bliss Ready T7/T9
Greetings.

Last edited:

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Only if you want the bike to feel like a complete plank of wood!
I've only ridden a 29'er once..same with a mullet set up..and while it's true that both bikes " smoothed out the ride" ..it felt like they had lost something ( fun) compared to a 27.5 set up
Pretty pointless comparing different bikes based on wheel size. Geo will make more difference. Personally I think the difference between 27 and 29 is often vastly exaggerated. 29ers can be fun and playful, 27 can be dull and lifeless. There is way more at work that just the size of the wheels.

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I meant improved ride, which I guess improves both performance and comfort. It’s well known that bigger wheels makes a bike roll over small bumps better, tracking the ground better, improving grip but also not throwing the bike around so much, improving comfort. Because of these factors, I wondered if one has larger wheels one can have less suspension (which might give greater support) with the same level of comfort and performance. Mullets are quite popular now but if one chooses this should one have or need more suspension on the rear to compensate for smaller wheel.
I'd say that the only fact in comparing 26 or 27,5 to 29 is that 29 are heavyer than 27,5 and the 26rs, all the rest, like traction, grip, handling, performance, comfort, etc... is opinion, and the advantages or not of each wheelsize will depend on where and how you want to ride the bike.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I have two bikes, a 2018 Kenevo and a 2022 Orbea Rise, so more or less one bike for technical downhill and bike parks, the other for cross country, with a much longer range. Despite being best at what they are designed for, the Kenevo is fine on cross country rides and the Rise manages pretty well on more gnarly terrain. Although the Rise has 40mm less travel than the Kenevo, I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the Rise copes and wonder how much this is due to the 29 inch wheels. I wonder whether the effect of 29 inch wheels compared to 27 can be equated to some millimetres of suspension?

r
Wish I kept my 27.5 focus jam2. It was more playful than My orbea Rise H30 in most applications. Especially on the tight switchbacks of my local trails. But I think 29 is here to stay.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Wish I kept my 27.5 focus jam2. It was more playful than My orbea Rise H30 in most applications. Especially on the tight switchbacks of my local trails. But I think 29 is here to stay.
I think you’re right that there here to stay. I’ve also an H30 but as stated above, there are other factors that can be more important than wheelsize on playfulness. I recently rode a Levo SL and definitely felt it was more playful than my Rise, despite it also having 29 inch wheels. However, it was a size smaller, lighter (and a lot more expensive!) but maybe wouldn’t be better for the Alpine trails where I live. As ebikes have developed into various niches, it means that all of them are a compromise; really good at the specific task they are designed for and usually at least OK at others. Even a really good all-round bike is now a compromise on everything. This means that choice of bike (or bikes) is getting more difficult and it is important to get the bike which best suits the the trails one uses and likes. If money and storage space were no object one could have a “quiver” of bikes to suit all purposes, rather like the five pairs of skis I use in the Winter!

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
My background is motorcycle, you ride off-road with a big front wheel(normally 21”) and tarmac with a smaller(normally 17””) how the hell anyone rides a mountain bike with a small front wheel i’ve No idea.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles