Mullet/29 on the front of a Meta SX 27 Power?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Anyone converted the Meta Power SX 27 to a mullet with a 29 at the front? Would a new fork be required?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I can see what you mean @Dirtnvert. The camera view somewhat blurs and doesn't focus on the headset (just the stem cap).
I'm aware that the works headset can adjust the headtube angle but without knowing the travel of his DVO Onyx, its difficult to comment.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Commencal also got back to me. Would need to replace the fork as apparently the existing fork doesn't have enough clearance for a 29" wheel. A Fox 38 29 fork with 160mm travel would leave the bike with the same slack/angles with current setup, but they say their recommendation is to leave the bike "as is".

I'm going to ride the bike for a few more months before I decide.

duplex

Nov 22, 2020
orange county, ca
Commencal also got back to me. Would need to replace the fork as apparently the existing fork doesn't have enough clearance for a 29" wheel. A Fox 38 29 fork with 160mm travel would leave the bike with the same slack/angles with current setup, but they say their recommendation is to leave the bike "as is".

I'm going to ride the bike for a few more months before I decide.

I’ve decided to pursue this as well on the 2021 SX race model. Going with the zeb 29 160 mm up front to preserve the original geometry and give that a shot but may move up in travel if I find it inadequate.

Have you considered angled headset?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I’ve decided to pursue this as well on the 2021 SX race model. Going with the zeb 29 160 mm up front to preserve the original geometry and give that a shot but may move up in travel if I find it inadequate.

Have you considered angled headset?
I haven't yet. Will order wheels next month and also chat with some folks I know in a local bike store before deciding if there is anything else I might need to do.

amargarit

Apr 30, 2021
Barcelona
Awesome. Looks like it's available a little earlier here in Canada, and the great thing with Commencal is you can simply order the frame. Which is what I will do, and then build up the bike with existing parts (and of course use my 29" fork, and mullet wheels).
If your are talking about the ebike, they don't sell frame separately. I asked directly in the past and they said it is not possible.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
If your are talking about the ebike, they don't sell frame separately. I asked directly in the past and they said it is not possible.
Yes, unfortunately I am also finding this out. Shame. Probably due to fit of battery and motor.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Tried out the mullet Meta for the first time today and absolutely loved it! Of course I could simply be used to riding the mullet format from having the Decoy for almost 2 years, but I'm really glad I did the modification.

IMG_7463.jpg

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Tried out the mullet Meta for the first time today and absolutely loved it! Of course I could simply be used to riding the mullet format from having the Decoy for almost 2 years, but I'm really glad I did the modification.

View attachment 76428
That looks as it should. Really nice!
Whats that motor/downtube guard you have there? Is thst a tool pouch in place of the water bottle?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
That looks as it should. Really nice!
Whats that motor/downtube guard you have there? Is thst a tool pouch in place of the water bottle?
Yes indeed:
Unfortunately, they don't ship to North America. I had to get it shipped to my Dad in England first: carter moteur pour META POWER ALU 29 P-27,5 P , 2021 , moteur EP8 Shimano - Amygos

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yes indeed:
Unfortunately, they don't ship to North America. I had to get it shipped to my Dad in England first: carter moteur pour META POWER ALU 29 P-27,5 P , 2021 , moteur EP8 Shimano - Amygos

Thanks, both look like nice additions, especially that frame/motor protector. Still havent put anything on the decoy and its been ok but heard a couple rock strikes recently that keeps me tginking i should have something

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks, both look like nice additions, especially that frame/motor protector. Still havent put anything on the decoy and its been ok but heard a couple rock strikes recently that keeps me tginking i should have something
I have the Rockguardz on the Decoy and it works great. Smaller footprint and attaches securely. I cut it down so it didn't go over the battery, just over the motor. I also had a Rockguardz on the Meta, but it didn't secure properly (there are screws for the Decoy) and it kept falling off! Hence the Amygos purchase...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I have the Rockguardz on the Decoy and it works great. Smaller footprint and attaches securely. I cut it down so it didn't go over the battery, just over the motor. I also had a Rockguardz on the Meta, but it didn't secure properly (there are screws for the Decoy) and it kept falling off! Hence the Amygos purchase...
Cool. Good ootion at a decent price

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles