2020 Meta Power 27 SX - Long reach?

Jon-Hcor

May 9, 2020
NJ
Hey,
I am pretty set on getting a Meta Power 27 SX, I am about 174cm with my riding shoes on. I've ridden Medium Bikes exclusively other than a L Capra that ran small in 2018. Anyway, I was assuming a Medium for this Commy, but the reach at 460 seems very long, unless its an error on site. The Small lines up closer to what I'm used to at around 440, but reach isn't everything. I have no way to test one here. Id rather have a slightly smaller bike, than one that is too big. Maybe I answered my own question here, but Commy size chart has me right in the Medium sweet spot. Confusing as the Medium seems bigger than other companies large bikes. The Small is bigger than the M YT Decoy and Specialized bikes in all areas. Confused a bit here.

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
Bikes seem to be getting longer and longer, I am around 5.10” and that puts me on the top of medium or bottom of large, I decided to go with medium after seeing the 460 reach, my last bike was medium at 440 which did feel a little short in certain situations. On paper the medium Sx looks like a size up from my medium Merida, so hopefully it’s spot on.

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I’m about 178cm tall and have a medium. It actually feels on the smaller side, but for the type of riding I do a smaller bike suits so I I’m not fussed. If I was riding bigger mountain bike park staff a L would probably be better. My mate has a L so I’ve been able to get a good feel for both. I think you’d be safe on the medium.

Jon-Hcor

May 9, 2020
NJ
I’m about 178cm tall and have a medium. It actually feels on the smaller side, but for the type of riding I do a smaller bike suits so I I’m not fussed. If I was riding bigger mountain bike park staff a L would probably be better. My mate has a L so I’ve been able to get a good feel for both. I think you’d be safe on the medium.

This was super helpful. I think I have been riding bikes that were a bit small for awhile actually. Your close to my height and fine on a Medium, that def makes me feel better about it. I appreciate the replies fellas. These Meta Power's say May 29 availability...I sure hope this doesn't get pushed back, just sold my 18 Levo today.

Thx again!

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
If you like a smaller bike you’ll feel fine on a medium,I have a large with supposedly 485mm reach I think yet my 2020 nukeproof scout has 460mm reach,how they work it out I don’t know?but my scout has a 15mm longer cockpit and you can feel it swapping between the two.?

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
If you like a smaller bike you’ll feel fine on a medium,I have a large with supposedly 485mm reach I think yet my 2020 nukeproof scout has 460mm reach,how they work it out I don’t know?but my scout has a 15mm longer cockpit and you can feel it swapping between the two.?

How tall are you Trickz? With shoes off am a 176cm so 5ft 9.5” so I could have gone either way, but feel large might have made the bike feel clumsy for me.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
If you like a smaller bike you’ll feel fine on a medium,I have a large with supposedly 485mm reach I think yet my 2020 nukeproof scout has 460mm reach,how they work it out I don’t know

Look at the good old fashioned top tube length measurement :)

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
I am about 2.5" (at 5'10" )taller than you , I purchased a Large SX it is only just big enough for me I feel like I am always pushing my butt right too the back of the bike almost off the seat .
The large is not massive your call but I personally prefer a bike a little bigger than smaller.
Smaller you cannot fix unless you put a stupid long stem on , and you tend to bang your knees into the bars and feel cramped in the cockpit .
Slightly larger you can set up the seat forward on the rail and change bars .IMO.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The SX is a heavy hitting long travel enduro bike, and the measurements are pretty much in line with what you would expect for a bike like that.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’ve gone to 50mm stem on my large now and for me it feels spot on,though nothing to do with sit down reach I just like to feel the bar more forward when in the attack position,makes me feel like I’m inside the bike rather than standing over the top,I settled on 60mm on my Nukeproof mega large after trying the 35mm fashion length?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
The SX is a heavy hitting long travel enduro bike, and the measurements are pretty much in line with what you would expect for a bike like that.

This.

Remember what kind of bike the SX is supposed to be compared to whatever bike you're comparing it to. For example, I'm swapping to a medium Meta Power SX from a medium Meta Power 29 and the numbers are totally different. But the 29er wasn't designed to go full bore on descents, the 29er is "only" 150mm travel whereas the SX is a massive 180mm machine.

Also, for reference I'm about 5'10" but I feel I have a better "attack" position on the longer SX compared to the 29er, I also swapped up to a 50mm stem so I added 5mm from the already longer numbers.

When sizing a bike don't forget that it's not all about height - you have to consider that every person has a different arm length, torso length, inseam so what feels good for someone at a specific height might not feel the same for another person of the same height.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles